post your set-up thread

I finished the cabinet I was working on. Cost under $200 and should hold about 700 albums or so. I'm just really proud of the top. Too bad you can't see too much of it. Next step is getting a separate amp for the record set up. Feels good to design and build it myself instead of going to IKEA or paying an arm and a leg for a piece of furniture. It's a nice median between the two.

qDrdA0d.jpg

Fun2FCw.jpg

On 11/12/2016 at 4:39 PM, Dave Grohl said:

I finished the cabinet I was working on. Cost under $200 and should hold about 700 albums or so. I'm just really proud of the top. Too bad you can't see too much of it. Next step is getting a separate amp for the record set up. Feels good to design and build it myself instead of going to IKEA or paying an arm and a leg for a piece of furniture. It's a nice median between the two.

qDrdA0d.jpg

Fun2FCw.jpg

What kind of wood is on top?

On 11/8/2016 at 6:37 AM, Sasan said:

Seriously man, whatever job you have, I need the same... :D

So many many paths to "Nirvana".  Honestly, its really not how much you make;  its what you do with what you make...as mentioned, anyone can have fancy setups. However, getting it to sound transcendental is a mix of luck, destiny, knowledge, will power and drive.  Something like that...you get the point.

Edited by shaizada

• 4 weeks later...

New to this group:)..Using AR Legend table with Jelco arm and Goldring G1042 cartridge through a Graham Slee Amp2 SE phono stage into an Arcam Delta 290 and Arcam Delta 290P via Chord interconnects and speaker cables into B&W speakers on lead shot filled Alphason stands....room placement still needs addressing!15107463_10211367922340868_1253923943249

On 11/12/2016 at 4:39 PM, Dave Grohl said:

qDrdA0d.jpg

Fun2FCw.jpg

Is that a slab of granite? I work at an architecture firm and we always get samples in off different material. I should look and see if we have any extra samples the size of my player. Looks cool.

1 hour ago, [Banned User] said:

Is that a slab of granite? I work at an architecture firm and we always get samples in off different material. I should look and see if we have any extra samples the size of my player. Looks cool.

Yeah it's a spare piece of marble. Happened to be the exact dimensions of the feet. Helped soak up some vibration since the old surface wasn't as heavy. Not as much of a problem with the heavier cabinet, but I still keep it cause can't hurt plus it looks awesome. Haha. 

19 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

Yeah it's a spare piece of marble. Happened to be the exact dimensions of the feet. Helped soak up some vibration since the old surface wasn't as heavy. Not as much of a problem with the heavier cabinet, but I still keep it cause can't hurt plus it looks awesome. Haha. 

Is the marble directly on top of the wood? If so, try to get a carpet sample or something similar to put in between the wood and the marble. It allows the heavy slab to "float" a bit, further reducing vibrations. 

1 hour ago, kannibal said:

Is the marble directly on top of the wood? If so, try to get a carpet sample or something similar to put in between the wood and the marble. It allows the heavy slab to "float" a bit, further reducing vibrations. 

It has those felt feet underneath at the moment. I think I have some spare carpet that I could cut to the size of the marble, or maybe some rubber feet. Thanks for the tip.

1 hour ago, thebilljim said:

Yo, Matt, that new cabinet is freaking gorgeous. You have one of the best setups of anyone I've seen posting here.

Thanks, dude! I really appreciate that. It's just nice to build your own furniture piece. I look at it all day and it makes me happy. Makes me enjoy listening to my records even more.

On 11/9/2016 at 3:11 AM, Seafinch said:
Been awhile since I posted in here and I've made a couple of changes...

IMG_4821.jpg

VPI Classic 3 > Ortofon Quintet Black > Luxman L-505U > Harbeth C7es3

Nice set-up! Where did you get that red piece of storage on the right? I'd like to get something similar for placing recent regular rotations.

1 hour ago, Rickylovas said:

Yes they are.

I work for Sideshow, actually.

Dude. That's awesome! :D I don't own any sideshow pieces yet, as I got into statues only about two years ago. But of the stuff I buy, 1/4 is my preferred scale, so there's bound to be some in the near future. I actually fell in love with this art form so much that I had to try my own hand at it, here's my first (and so far only) attempt at sculpting. Still a WIP, but I'm sure you'll recognize the source ;)

Spoiler

JYmhE6R.jpg

FBkeig3.jpg

What do you do at Sideshow (if you don't mind me asking)?

3 minutes ago, slinch said:

Dude. That's awesome! :D I don't own any sideshow pieces yet, as I got into statues only about two years ago. But of the stuff I buy, 1/4 is my preferred scale, so there's bound to be some in the near future. I actually fell in love with this art form so much that I had to try my own hand at it, here's my first (and so far only) attempt at sculpting. Still a WIP, but I'm sure you'll recognize the source ;)

Hide contents

JYmhE6R.jpg

FBkeig3.jpg

What do you do at Sideshow (if you don't mind me asking)?

haha wow that is too funny/too much of a coincidence! I actually work solely on COTD. I'm a graphic designer/brand manager for our original properties.

nice job on the sculpt, it's really cool to see that.