post your set-up thread

• 1 month later...

On 7/23/2017 at 4:17 PM, Brody said:

IMG_1102.jpgBeen building this for a few months.  Finished today.  Walnut plywood and Arm-R-Seal.  

I know this is an old post but awesome work dude, this looks slick, even if it's for more than just a few months. I also built a custom piece for my collection about two years ago and it gets hard to say goodbye when you run out of room ha. Love that you left the banding natural, nice job!

On 7/29/2017 at 7:09 PM, rrd said:

Thanks, yeah I've been thinking about one. Any recommendations that won't break the bank?

If you're still in the market I have almost an identical setup as you (Debut III, Speed Box S, and an old 90's Marantz integrated amp). I bought the Parks Audio Budgie last year and have been nothing but satisfied with the sound. Shanon, the guy who builds all the units by hand is super helpful, and gave me some tweaks to customize the sound for my specific components. Plus the added cool-factor of the tubes glowing at night doesn't hurt, highly suggested!

Might be a bit on the pricey side but for what he charges it's a steal compared to a lot of other products in the same range.

Edited by bluethumb

On 2/14/2018 at 7:46 AM, bluethumb said:

If you're still in the market I have almost an identical setup as you (Debut III, Speed Box S, and an old 90's Marantz integrated amp). I bought the Parks Audio Budgie last year and have been nothing but satisfied with the sound. Shanon, the guy who builds all the units by hand is super helpful, and gave me some tweaks to customize the sound for my specific components. Plus the added cool-factor of the tubes glowing at night doesn't hurt, highly suggested!

Might be a bit on the pricey side but for what he charges it's a steal compared to a lot of other products in the same range.

Sounds like a nice little unit, definitely ticks the boxes for what I'm looking for. I'll be saving my pennies to try and get one, thanks for the recommendation!

On 2/14/2018 at 7:46 AM, bluethumb said:

First time I’ve seen a fellow Budgie user. Love mine as well. 

Actualy debating on on rolling the tubes just to see what happens with the sound. 

9 hours ago, Deathbyart said:

First time I’ve seen a fellow Budgie user. Love mine as well. 

Actualy debating on on rolling the tubes just to see what happens with the sound. 

I've also been considering a tube upgrade as of late. I'd love to hear which tubes you are most interested in - I'm a tube noob but there are so many options and opinions out there it's tough to know what's what.

• 3 weeks later...

Updates to my set-up:

Got a really good deal on these Rotel seperates, my Cambridge Audio amp was having issues with the phono stage, was told by the repair guy it would be out of action for a couple of weeks. No record playing for at least 2 weeks?! Not this kid, dropped in at a couple of hi-fi places on my way home that day and saw this lot for a really nice price, we're talking around 50% off. Had a listen and thought yep, I'll take that. 

All brand new..

Rotel RCD-630 CD Player.
Rotel RA-630 Integrated Amplifier.
Rotel RT-12 Digital Gateway.

It's not a massive leap in sound from my previous set-up, but it is a noticeable step up and seems to be getting better the more I play things. Nice to have a CD player again after years without, I would never have brought one if it wasn't such a good deal and its been fun playing a few of my old discs that I don't have on vinyl. The RT-12 is for radio and internet radio, probably won't use it too often, but as I said it was a bargain, possibly might sell. I mostly play vinyl and its sounding great in that regard.

I know I'm not supposed to stack things, but I'm a little short on space, everything seems to be working fine and no over heating issues, plus I have it all connected to a decent 'Monster Power" surge protector. I'll possibly get a proper rack system for it in the near future.

f6o27050hqdc.jpg5y11u1437tie.jpg9vbdh1su4ea0.jpg

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Citroen said:

You know your turntables :)

Yes, a 401 in a sapelle wood  triple layered plinth, with Analogue Instruments (cocobolo) tonearm, with Dynavector 20x2 cart.

WOW! You have a very interesting and comprehensive collection! My Collection http://www.discogs.com/collection?user=allenh

No but I've had more than a few 301's and 401's and tried most types of turntable at one point or another. And records like turntables I've been at it a long time, like to try and have an open mind about sounds and can't say no to stuff so the end result will always be a big collection of both. 

401's do like a good solid plinth and that one does look the part but I can't say I've heard one with an Analogue instruments arm on it, how do you find it compared to your Aura?

Edited by allenh
spelling

Hi all...........Happy to be here to share this fun hobby with like minded individuals ............ The First Pic is when I had the Mcintosh MT 5 as my TT..........in the last 2 pics  my TT changes as I gradually upgraded to Mcintosh's Flagship MT10 Turntable............the rest of my system is : Mcintosh MC601's Amplifer,Mcintosh C1000/C1000T Preamp,KEF Ref 5 Speakers,Mcintosh MCD1100 CDP, Mcintosh MHP 1000 Headphones, Olive 04HD Music Server, Acoustic Zen Absolute Shotgun Cables,4 ELECTRA 7 Power Cords&2 Pairs of 
ECLIPSE 7 (EBI) XLR's, Consonance D-Linear 15 Ultra Reference Power Conditioner/Surge Protector, Salamander AC 5 Rack,.

6QOvT9u.png

49dPswx.jpg?1

tsZmlt2.jpg?1

19 hours ago, allenh said:

No but I've had more than a few 301's and 401's and tried most types of turntable at one point or another. And records like turntables I've been at it a long time, like to try and have an open mind about sounds and can't say no to stuff so the end result will always be a big collection of both. 

401's do like a good solid plinth and that one does look the part but I can't say I've heard one with an Analogue instruments arm on it, how do you find it compared to your Aura?

They each have their own strengths.

I definitely prefer the Aura for its sense of ease, accuracy, neutrality and rhythmic flow. The 401 arguably has better base solidity and dynamics but lacks the overall clarity of the Aura. 

13 hours ago, Citroen said:

They each have their own strengths.

I definitely prefer the Aura for its sense of ease, accuracy, neutrality and rhythmic flow. The 401 arguably has better base solidity and dynamics but lacks the overall clarity of the Aura. 

There's a good 50 years difference there in the drive alone so you have to give the 401 a bit of leeway but it does show you that not a huge amount has really changed in that time as far as turntables are concerned and that quality engineering will always be quality engineering. If like idlers and haven't already then try a Lenco GL75 with a half decent arm on it in a decent plinth, they used to be an absolute bargain but not anymore.

This stuff is very much down to personal preference, I like the 401 and the 301 before it but I'm more of a belt drive 3 point suspended sub chassis fan. I've had the same Pink Triangle PT1 since the mid 90's and I won't change it for anything, many supposedly better tables and vastly more expensive tables have been through my hands but there is something about the way that PT1 makes music sound to my ears that I've yet to beat.

Yes indeed, very much personal preference.

I have a PT1 setup in the dining room, and an as yet unmolested L75 currently in one bedroom (and a few others not connected to systems  - WT Amadeus, JBE Series 3, Project 2Xperience). 

The PT1 has an RB300 on it but several years ago I bought an Audiomods Series V which was to go on it. A job I've yet to get around to, due to procrastination and just how good the RB300 already sounds on it! :)

GaM1XHo.jpg?1

59o3qzd.jpg

SsasMt1.jpg?1

eRq634A.jpg?1

and at work

3meGpEn.jpg?1

Nice range of tables and nice to see so many in use, looks a lot like my house with turntables everywhere. The feet on that Goodmans Lenco don't look exactly standard though? I had a Goodmans one in the sprung white formica plinth a little while ago and I've got one in a Leak plinth that I'm working on at the moment.

Current turntable list is:

Pink Triangle PT1 with FFYX arm and Grado 8MZ

Pink Triangle PT1 with Logic Datum2 arm and Koetsu Rosewood Signature

Garrard 401 with SME 3009 improved and Shure M97xe

Garrard 401 with Helius Scorpio and Grace f9e

MRM Source with Helius Scorpio 3 and Sumiko BPS

Manticore Mantra/Manticore MB6i with Manticore Magician Audio Technica AT-OC9

Input Designs Kitdeck with Jelco SA250 and Shure V15III

Royce Elega with Jelco SA750 and Audio Technica AT-12S

Sharp Optonica RP-3636 standard arm with Nagaoka MP10 Boron

London Acoustical Developments (LAD) GAJ828P with OEM Jelco SA-370 (I've got 4 of these, 2 very early and 2 later)

Self made suspended DD and modified 12" ADC arm with Shure M97HE 

AR Legend with Helius Scorpio 2 with Grado GTE+1

AR XB with ADC LMF1 and Nagaoka MP15

Leak Lenco GL75 standard arm and Shure M75ed

Goldring Lenco GL72 standard arm and Shure M55e

Marantz 6170 standard arm and cartridge

Marantz 6025 standard arm and Shure M55e

Rotel RP-3300 standard arm and Shure M75ed

All down to the Optonica and one of the LAD's are in use and there are a few more around that I'm working on like a couple of B&O music centre's, a B&O RX2 and a couple of connoisseur BD2's

Edited by allenh
edit