post your set-up thread

• 3 weeks later...

spacer.png

Just picked up this beauty last weekend. Absolutely love it. Recently cleaned, recapped, and had LEDs installed. Fun story from the guy I bought it from. He dug it out of the back room of a thrift store in Idaho for $4 some time ago. Still has the price tag on it actually! He refurbished the whole thing and it's working fantastic. 

Need to look into a nice pair of speakers now to replace my Polk T15s. Any solid recommendations for sub $200?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys and girls ... newby here. Getting back into vinyl after many years. My set up is all bought second-hand as I wasn't going to let this get to me when i started but things may be a bit different now  😁. However, what I have ended up with is - 

• B&O Beolab 8000 Active Speakers - Silver with Black fret
  • NAD 3020e 140W Amplifier with built in preamp stage
  • Rega Planar 2 with upgraded RP3 tone arm + Rega White drive belt
  • A&R -  P77 Cartridge sporting a (refurbished by Expert Stylus) Low Mass Paratrace profile diamond stylus on a new cantilever

Oh ... and a hand-built ergonomic, super-functional record storage unit/shelves. Pics posted on another thread.

Sounding very sweet indeed if i say so myself. 

Edited by Raj

• 7 months later...
On 5/23/2020 at 3:38 PM, slinch said:

I'm surprised it isn't longer.

Anyways, I recently picked up a 2M Black and I'm honestly not feeling it. Boosted up top, thin in the mid. Running through an ifi iphono 2. Meh

I didn’t like it much either when I tried it. Pretty similar results. It did have a very wide soundstage which was kind of cool. 

Edited by kannibal

On 5/27/2020 at 2:41 AM, kannibal said:

I didn’t like it much either when I tried it. Pretty similar results. It did have a very wide soundstage which was kind of cool. 

It's an especially new feeling for me because it's the first time I bought a brand new piece of gear and disliked it. Will probably just sell it on and take the loss. 

I mean, it might be a good choice for better recorded albums, but with the stuff I mostly listen to, it's really not a fun experience. 

What do you use now? I might even go ahead and dip my toes into MC waters, but don't really want to go over $1000, be it MM, MC, MI, whatever.

I’m back to using my XX-2 that I had Dynavector rebuild for me. Before the rebuild, I had a AT33PTG/II which was good, but I didn’t love it. Sometimes it did sound really good but I felt it lacked some magic that I find in the XX-2. I really like the line contact stylus on the XX-2. Detail with much more forgiveness compared to the AT. A lot more ticks, pops, and non-fill would show itself with the AT which had a micro line stylus.

I tried three records with 2M Black and while 2 I found boring and flat, Radiohead - King of Limbs sounded very good. It was listening to Bloom, that I noticed the very wide soundstage. It was clean and full on that recording, and it worked well. 1 for 3 wasn’t going to cut it though and I gave it back to my buddy. 

The high end AT MC carts are nice and get great reviews from users. They also seem to be a lot less money than a lot of the other MC carts. I haven’t heard the Hanas, but people sure like them too. I’ve only had MC carts, for the last 8 or so years when I started putting serious money into my setup. I got a good deal on a great phono pre that could easy handle MC so why not? I like the sound they provide, but I don’t think I would dislike a great MM if I heard one. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/24/2020 at 2:52 PM, snp304 said:

Ok, here is a pic of my current setup, Rogue Cronus Magnum III amp, Marantz TT15S1 turntable and a pair of Dynaudio Special 40 speakers. Just finished putting this together last week...absolutely love it so farspacer.png

I was soooooo close to pulling the trigger on the Dyns. Like finger on the trigger close. I'd like to hear them again

On 6/24/2020 at 7:38 PM, Monastic_mike said:

I ended up getting a killer deal on a set of Klipsch Heresy IV’s.  It’s taken a couple weeks of futzing with them but now they make me happy.

Vintage is always good. The dyns replaced a pair of JBL 4312's, they were great speakers, but I was looking to downsize and couldn't be happier

Finally bought a new record player after years of not having one!!! I got a U-Turn Orbit Plus with the a Pluto, connected them to my JBL LSR305s and that's all I need for now. Eventually I will upgrade the pre-amp, and cartridge, but I'm probably gonna get a subwoofer first. Excited to be fully back in the game, I've never stop collecting so I got a lot of stuff I've never played that's gonna be spun today. I'm happy!!!

Edited by Reshiram

On 6/28/2020 at 6:07 PM, Tommy said:

lol dude your whole setup cost about as much as my car. So jealous, that amp is nasty

yeah, well, I have been there, trust me. Luckily I have a woman that enjoys the music just as much as I do. She pushed me to make all the upgrades that I have made. Hopefully I can say that I am done, maybe upgrade the cart at some point when a replacement is needed.. 

• 1 month later...

Just got a job as an AV Tech installer (amazing timing too since CARES just ran out). So stoked to be installing AV equipment for a living. A lot of it is Sonos and home automation or commercial stuff. But everyone so often we do big ole mansions with man caves and listening rooms. Best part is I get anything from our brands partners or suppliers at cost + shipping. I’m already dreaming of everything I’m going to get. We partner with a lot of high end brands so I have a good amount to choose from (Bluesound, B&W, Klipsch, Def Tech, Sony, Denon, LG, Samsung, etc). Never thought I’d get my hands on this kinda stuff so I’m doing lots of research. Looking at a Cambridge CXA81, Bluesound Node 2i, Def Tech D11 or maybe some B&Ws, and possibly an Ortofon Bronze (not sure what carts we stock / have the hook up for). Definitely replacing my Sony with an integrated amp since that’s my weak link in the set up. 

Here’s another cool thing, I can extend my discounts to friends and family which is cost + 10% + shipping. So after I’ve been there a while I’d be more than happy to hook the VC community up with gear (more so the lower to middle class people such as myself that otherwise couldn’t afford stuff like this). 

• 2 months later...
On 8/13/2020 at 4:05 PM, Sad Heart said:

Just got a job as an AV Tech installer (amazing timing too since CARES just ran out). So stoked to be installing AV equipment for a living. A lot of it is Sonos and home automation or commercial stuff. But everyone so often we do big ole mansions with man caves and listening rooms. Best part is I get anything from our brands partners or suppliers at cost + shipping. I’m already dreaming of everything I’m going to get. We partner with a lot of high end brands so I have a good amount to choose from (Bluesound, B&W, Klipsch, Def Tech, Sony, Denon, LG, Samsung, etc). Never thought I’d get my hands on this kinda stuff so I’m doing lots of research. Looking at a Cambridge CXA81, Bluesound Node 2i, Def Tech D11 or maybe some B&Ws, and possibly an Ortofon Bronze (not sure what carts we stock / have the hook up for). Definitely replacing my Sony with an integrated amp since that’s my weak link in the set up. 

Here’s another cool thing, I can extend my discounts to friends and family which is cost + 10% + shipping. So after I’ve been there a while I’d be more than happy to hook the VC community up with gear (more so the lower to middle class people such as myself that otherwise couldn’t afford stuff like this). 

That is seriously very nice of you to do.

Where are you located?