post your set-up thread

I haven't been paying attention to the forum much lately so maybe I missed it, but have we considered that the DL-103 - which has an extremely low dynamic compliance - is not a great match for the low effective mass (8.5 g) of the 1.3 tonearm?

I've used a few different calculators and I'm getting a resonant frequency in the 13 Hz range.  There's no accounting for real world experience, but at least on paper, that's a bit high.

Very good point bearchuck although I would expect it to sound off all the time rather than just with certain music types. I'm still not convinced that's the issue but if it is there used to be charts published where you could compare the compliance and mass of arms and cartridges and make selections, so if you can find one with the 103 on and a comparable arm you could use that as a reference for values.

Fluid damping is a good point as to why you can get different reports of it working in low mass arms but not an option here I guess. I had a fluid damped Mission 774 that would only work properly when it had fluid in the trough but that was with every cart I tried in it.

The adding a weight to the headshell option is interesting but would it work? I would have thought you would have to add weight to the counterweight as well to effectively change the arms mass.

WELP. Turns out I have an issue with a speaker cable on the right channel (I swapped speakers, swapped all the interconnects, never the speaker cable). Realized when heavier music (more bass?) was playing, the cables would rattle more, causing bad distortion. Apparently one of my cats chewed the hell out of it (behind the equipment, through flex). I just killed all my cats to make sure this isn't an issue again. And ordered some new cable.

I found this because I swapped back to the 2M Blue and had the same issues.

So, after months of obsessively searching Craigslist first thing every morning at work, this finally happened:

20140826_213431_zpstk8pwplq.jpg?t=140906

Sorry for the shitty picture, but it was pretty late when I finally got it home and the lighting in that corner of the room is horrible.

Also, with it being so late, both the kids were sleeping, so I couldn't really give her a go. Can't wait for the day to be over so I can get home and see what she can do.

I was very tempted to pick up one of those on CL a month or so ago for something like $150-200.  If you don't have any luck finding an original case, you can look into a reproduction.

A gorgeous one just sold on eBay yesterday for $120, which was more than I spent on the 1060 in the first place:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261567700507?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Alright crew, REALITY CHECK:  Vibration control is a huge thing for audio.  Not just an after thought...it needs to be built into the foundation of any system.  Learn about it, read about it, try it and then implement it.  There is no substitute for knowledge and experience.

I figured I would share a new experience I just had with the board here as well since I'm still on a musical high while listening.

I've just gotten in a set of 8 Stillpoints Ultra 5's for my speakers:

15054231571_bd0d50d109_c.jpg

The increase in sheer performance is superb.  Basically getting more relaxed definition, a cleaner, deeper and more defined bass response with a midrange presentation that is smoothly detailed.  Now, I feel that I lost some voluptuousness and midrange colorations that I really liked.  A lower midrange nudge that just made music more akin to presentation of a dram of 100 year cognac vs a 40 year old Single Malt.  Hard to describe but a slight glow in the lower mids went away.  But what came in it's place is improved everywhere else...definition, transients, further integration of the drivers, bass response, top end response.  All have been improved to varying degrees.  Maybe a tube change to a second Mullard 6922 in the preamp section would bring in that extra MID glow...right now I have a Mullard 6922 and an Amperex 7308 green label in there.

I am damn happy with these...but now the real hurt in the gut.  Each foot is $700!  Not sure if the wife is going to let me keep these, but I am going to try and make a case for it :)

Here are the stock footers that sound perfectly fine as well.  I guess, when I go back to stock, I will realize what the true loss/gains are.  If I can't live without them...I'll buy the wife something nice to compensate!

14870594679_9cf1e27b46_c.jpg