post your set-up thread

I finally feel like a nice set up like the one I always wanted the receiver is a pioneer sx 636 the speakers are klipsch kg4 I have another one on the other side of the TV that you can't see the turntable is a numark tt200 with a shure m447 I'm never getting ride of my turntable Ive had it for 9 years I saved up my lunch money and allowance to get it back in 7th grade

2B48450F-0F82-46FB-AB01-9D1D4770C683_zps

I finally feel like a nice set up like the one I always wanted the receiver is a pioneer sx 636 the speakers are klipsch kg4 I have another one on the other side of the TV that you can't see the turntable is a numark tt200 with a shure m447 I'm never getting ride of my turntable Ive had it for 9 years I saved up my lunch money and allowance to get it back in 7th grade

2B48450F-0F82-46FB-AB01-9D1D4770C683_zps

I bet that Pioneer/Klipsch combo is really nice.  I've always heard good things about the KG series of Klipsch speakers.  Although, I hope you take no offense when I say that your speaker/amp combo is light years ahead of your turntable performance-wise.

I bet that Pioneer/Klipsch combo is really nice.  I've always heard good things about the KG series of Klipsch speakers.  Although, I hope you take no offense when I say that your speaker/amp combo is light years ahead of your turntable performance-wise.

I love my turntable I've had it since I was in 7th grade 8 years ago. I saved up my lunch money and allowence to get it I love it. It has the torque power of the technic 1210 and sounds okay to me. I also don't understand how a better turntable makes it sound better I'm still new to this. I understand a belt drive separate the motor or something.

I love my turntable I've had it since I was in 7th grade 8 years ago. I saved up my lunch money and allowence to get it I love it. It has the torque power of the technic 1210 and sounds okay to me. I also don't understand how a better turntable makes it sound better I'm still new to this. I understand a belt drive separate the motor or something.

I'm with JumpingBean, no offence intended but (there’s always a but when someone says that) I get the emotional attachment and the fact we all have to start somewhere but it does look very out of place and your system could stand and get the benefit from a much better quality turntable.

Turntables are not like CD players in that the mechanical engineering is much more of an influence on sound than the electronics, there are differing schools of thought re belt Vs direct drive and sprung Vs fixed plinth but the biggest common gain area's are all to do with mechanical isolation, bearings, general quality of materials and machining, be them in the plinth, main bearing or anything to do with the arm, motor bearings, motor mounting, suspension (if it has any) or platter.

Sadly they are all the areas that will have been scrimped on to keep the price of your turntable down when it was designed, it was designed with a market to milk and a sales price and profit margin in mind first.

The start up torque thing comes from when the Taiwanese copied the Technics SL1200, they made a motor with a higher start up torque but the rest of the motor figures were crap in comparison and this is the off the shelf motor that Numark used. It's a good stat to quote in any sales literature though.

By all means keep the Numark, but I think you need to let go emotionally and try something a little more up market.

I'm with JumpingBean, no offence intended but (there’s always a but when someone says that) I get the emotional attachment and the fact we all have to start somewhere but it does look very out of place and your system could stand and get the benefit from a much better quality turntable.

Turntables are not like CD players in that the mechanical engineering is much more of an influence on sound than the electronics, there are differing schools of thought re belt Vs direct drive and sprung Vs fixed plinth but the biggest common gain area's are all to do with mechanical isolation, bearings, general quality of materials and machining, be them in the plinth, main bearing or anything to do with the arm, motor bearings, motor mounting, suspension (if it has any) or platter.

Sadly they are all the areas that will have been scrimped on to keep the price of your turntable down when it was designed, it was designed with a market to milk and a sales price and profit margin in mind first.

The start up torque thing comes from when the Taiwanese copied the Technics SL1200, they made a motor with a higher start up torque but the rest of the motor figures were crap in comparison and this is the off the shelf motor that Numark used. It's a good stat to quote in any sales literature though.

By all means keep the Numark, but I think you need to let go emotionally and try something a little more up market.

I see thanks for the info I'll think of upgrading I just don't know what to I don't have pro ject money I was thinking of the u turn then I read some bad stuff about it

I see thanks for the info I'll think of upgrading I just don't know what to I don't have pro ject money I was thinking of the u turn then I read some bad stuff about it

It doesn't have to be new, there are plenty of well made vintage and semi vintage turntables out there that are not Project money but you do obviously have to be a bit more careful with 2nd hand turntables.

It doesn't have to be new, there are plenty of well made vintage and semi vintage turntables out there that are not Project money but you do obviously have to be a bit more careful with 2nd hand turntables.

yeah I'm scared going the vintage route I was scared getting my receiver through ebay do you know of any vintage turntables to look for that are great and affordable my record store has a technic sl d20 for around 100 are those any good?

That particular Technics is average and most;y down to the arm and the fact you can't change the cartridge. Finding out what's good does depend very much on what's being asked for it and it's condition.

There are some rules but they are guides really as not always strictly accurate and you learn over time what's good, and your ears are your best bet here.

Basically you are looking for a turntable with an arm with a normal cartridge mounting so two bolts like on your Numark headshell, an adjustable counter weight on the arm, and adjustable anti skate. But of course it's the quality of the thing that makes the difference as your Numark has some of those things as it's trying to copy a good arm.

Most decent arms will be S shaped with a removable headshell which your Numark is copying but that's not always true as the S arm was more popular in the 60's and 70's but in the 80's the straight arm with a headshell that's angled in was more popular. One thing though avoid DJ turntables with straight arms that use a standard headshell that's intended for an S arm as the tracking angle is all wrong and these are made for cueing up records and not sound quality or record life.

On the plinth it needs to be nicely made with a good giveaway here being if it's actually made out of real wood and not plastic etc. but that's not always true as there are some nice sounding turntables with plinths made out of all sorts of stuff.

I'm guessing you're in the US so what's good value there isn't always true of what's good value here and vice versa but a couple of examples are:

Most 70's or 80's Thorens and especially the TD160B but not the later cheapo copies

Most AR (Acoustic Research) and especially the later EB-101 and ES1

Some ADC's especially the ADC1700 and on a budget that's where I'd be looking.

The big Japanese brands make from the bottom of the tree all the way to the top so it's very difficult with them but there are bargains to be had with them if you look around.

Look at brands that had a reputation for making proper HiFi when the turntable you are looking at was made not after they've had their time or someone who never made proper HiFi and just stuck a badge on some far eastern crap.

Oh my god, this is really a nice looking room/setup. Where did you get your record display at, that looks pretty awesome.

My dad built it for Christmas this year. I kinda off handly mentioned to my mom when I was visiting that I was running outta room with my old storage unit, and then come to find this when I showed up for Christmas. Haha!

oh man, nice, those marantz quad amps are pretty rare. Do all four channels work? If they do you can bi-amp your speakers or bridge the marantz outputs to double the power.

how much did you pay for it?

i got it at the flea market for 230 is that a good price? It's a marantz and was gonna cost the same to fix it and I think all 4 channels work how do I do that?

Maybe some acoustic panel/triangular trap?

Yeah some treatments would be nice.  Honestly though the bass sounds great, not boomy or muddy, nice and low and defined.  The only downside I could hear to the placement (in comparison to at the dealer's) is a reduction in soundstage.  Both speakers are at least a foot away from the wall and that seems to keep the rear ports happy.