post your set-up thread

Kmart- your set up makes no sense. What preamp are you using?

An 80's Yamaha CX-600U,with a Cambridge Audio 640p phono pre.I know it's a cheap cart. on the Marantz....but it still sounds pretty good.

Weather I'm playing Rush 211,or Pink Floyd Animals,turned up loud,and I mean fuckin loud, 3 "o" clock loud,not one bit of distortion,it does'nt faze the VMPS's one bit,they are one bad-ass set of speakers.

I will rarely play anything at that level,the Mac. will heat up and shut down if I do for too long,but it's nice to know that I have that much headroom.

Most of my listening is OSDM= Gorguts,Death,Bolt Thrower,so I don't play that too loud.

I have an extra headshell for the Marantz,and I would like to pick up another decent cart,for comparsion sake.

I'm aware you are an audio/stereo geek.....What would you recommend?

Oh......and the Marantz and the Mac. sit on a concrete floor,(under the carpet)

I have considered a Mc preamp in the past, and I'm aware the old Yamaha,is'nt the greatest,but I'm pretty pleased with sound I get from the Cambridge phono pre. since getting it.

I'm not into swapping different components in/out,chasing after a listening experience that does'nt exist..........at least in my tax bracket.I'd rather buy more lp's to listen to.

Like I said, I would'nt mind checking out a different cart since I have the extra headshell,so it's a pretty easy swap.

Overall I'm content with my low end system

I'd sell that Mc and buy a whole new system. Why do you have it/how much did you pay?

I was actually thinking the same thing ... although that's one awesome amp. I'd probably have a tough time parting with it as well ... but at least I'd be saving my pennies to buy equipment that does it justice.

ajxd - how much do you think he could get for it? $2500 - 3000-ish? You can buy a lot of terrific equipment for that kind of money. Despite how awesome that Mac is, I would definitely be tempted to go that route, especially if it meant that the overall sound quality of my system would be improved tenfold.

I disagree about selling the Mc. But I do think some money should be invested to bring some of the other components up closer to the level of it. If you don't intend on improving the rest of your system then that's a different story. I guess I just would not so quick to sell off a great piece of gear to buy lesser pieces. I upgraded my system piece by piece and It was a great experience, and I learned about changes in sound and set up. Luckily I had the means (and bad money sense) to do it quickly. Not everyone is so fortunate, but down the road, I would regret letting such a great piece go.

I do think that keeping the Mc would rule, but to bring his other components up that level, he'd need to spend at least $15,000-$20,000. He mentioned that its "I'm not into swapping different components in/out,chasing after a listening experience that does'nt exist..........at least in my tax bracket.", so I doubt he wants to drop that much, you know?

I totally agree with your sentiment on upgrades. Its one of the best parts of audio. My first "real" setup was

Marantz 2330B

Marantz 6200 with a AT CN-5625AL cart

Marantz Imperial 6s

I started swapping piece by piece to now have,

Rotel RA-1062

Pro-Ject RPM1.3 with Ortofon 2M Blue

Boston Acoustics VR-3s (Pre-Circuit City buyout)

Currently looking for new speakers, because the BAs are now the oldest piece of the system. Triad Silvers, you will be mine.

I paid $2600 for the Mc about 4 years ago,you have to look real hard to even find a scratch on it,so it's pretty nice.

I've had the VMPS super tower r's for about 16 years now they were $2000,Itone audio out of California does'nt even make them anymore.

Would there really be that big of an improvement with another,newer TT? I really like the 6300.

$2600 POWER amp, yanquiuxo. If it was a preamp it'd make a little more sense!

I used to run a 6300, and a 6200, and 6100, and 6350, I tried em all out. Great starter tables. So much vibration though. The cartridge would see the most improvement. Put a $200-$400 cart on there and you'll be floored. Also you got a deal on that Mc.

Do you use your setup for more than just records? If so, invest in a proper pre over that Yamaha! And those the 640p is great, again, $200 pre with $2,500 power.

I don't see any problem with kmarts setup other than a $2600 pre amp and a $70 cart, thats the only thing that could use a substantial upgrade in my opinion

Eh ... I don't know what those speakers are, but the word "kabuki" comes to mind. And while the Marantz 6300 has its supporters - and I'm sure it's a solid, everyday player - it's not what I'd call high end. I think you could sell it (they seem to command really good prices), take that money and an additional $200 - 300 and buy a substantially better-sounding deck.

That's just me though. Kmart - no offense to the Marantz, which is a beautiful looking vintage TT. You should obviously do what makes you happy. If you're content with what you've got, I think it's fine. Having said that, I think that most people would agree that you're totally missing out on what that Mc is truly capable of.

If you do decide to go with some affordable upgrades, a new cartridge is certainly a good place to start. Just do a little research and find out what will mate well with the Marantz's tonearm.

And again, I don't know what those speakers are, but I'm willing to bet you can do a lot better for not much more money.