post your set-up thread

She'll never understand it, but she'll get over it. Baby steps. One thing at a time...

This. My wife is an exception to the rule because she's been surrounded by it her whole life. The financial side of it bums her out, but she understands that quality is costly.

After upgrading to my Parasound 2100/2125 setup, I came home to her listening to a record. She was literally just sitting there listening like I would. I figured something was wrong. She says "Well I put this on and was going to clean up, but it sounds so good. Like, the best sound I've heard. I didn't want to do anything else but listen." Knew I married her for a reason or two.

She'll never understand it, but she'll get over it. Baby steps. One thing at a time...

That sounds like good advice.

This. My wife is an exception to the rule because she's been surrounded by it her whole life. The financial side of it bums her out, but she understands that quality is costly.

After upgrading to my Parasound 2100/2125 setup, I came home to her listening to a record. She was literally just sitting there listening like I would. I figured something was wrong. She says "Well I put this on and was going to clean up, but it sounds so good. Like, the best sound I've heard. I didn't want to do anything else but listen." Knew I married her for a reason or two.

One day I'll have me a girl like this. Congrats on snagging a great one. :)

Oh definitely, This will take me proabably a while. I have an allotment that I don't go over. Most of the stuff I will look for second hand to save money. The Phono stage and new amp are first on the list. I'm possibly looking at selling a rifle I have, but with all the crap going on I don't really want to sell it... But, it would allow me to get the phonostage and amp with the proceeds. Decisions, decisions.....

My wife is pretty understanding and she likes the new turntable a lot. She had me playing her records all weekend, lol.

Finally got my VPI Scout on Friday. Mostly set up now, just chasing a ground hum...it's annoying. But, holy shit this turntable sounds 100x better than my Technics SL-1600mk2 and I love that table. Even with the lowly Ortofon 2m Red I'm amazed at the sound.

8650946712_36831c49ac.jpg

You've chosen... wisely. 

Did you figure out your grounding issue?

You've chosen... wisely.

Did you figure out your grounding issue?

Not yet, I haven't had any time lately to mess with it. It really only noticeable when I touch the tonearm or ground screw. I just need to figure out where I can attach the ground cable to get max results.

I absolutely love the table though! It is incredibly well built. It gave me a case of upgradeitous though, haha.

Not yet, I haven't had any time lately to mess with it. It really only noticeable when I touch the tonearm or ground screw. I just need to figure out where I can attach the ground cable to get max results.

I absolutely love the table though! It is incredibly well built. It gave me a case of upgradeitous though, haha.

I upgraded from a Music Hall MMF5 to the same table you have, skeptical I'd get much sonic return I would get.  It was such a night and day difference.  It only gets better as you tweak the azimuth and tracking force.

I can't quite see, but it looks like your receiver is older, perhaps vintage.  If it doesn't have a grounded plug, try plugging it in the other way (ie - turn it 180 degrees).  That may help.

So the Scout is that highly thought of? I was thinking of upgrading from a Debut III to a Rega RP5 by the end of summer. I may just save a little more and get the Scout.

I was going to get an RP6, but when I went to look at one in person I relized it was a lot of plastic parts. I'm really glad I went with the Scout.

@xxmartinxx

Yeah, it's a Vintage Nikko 9095. I will have to try that plug trick. Thanks dude.

Of course it will end up pointing out how much I need to upgrade my speakers (KLH Model 5) and likely even my receiver (Marantz 2275).

I'm just running Polk Audio Monitor 60s and a vintage receiver and it sounds better than my Technics. Still worth the upgrade in my opinion. Speakers are the last thing I'm going to upgrade.

Speakers are definitely something you need to spend a lot of time with playing YOUR music on. For instance I demoed some $15,000 speakers and they sounded great with female singer songwriter and even blues, but they feel apart playing Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon. My speakers sounded better with that record and mine were only $175 or so.

I'm just running Polk Audio Monitor 60s and a vintage receiver and it sounds better than my Technics. Still worth the upgrade in my opinion. Speakers are the last thing I'm going to upgrade.

Speakers are definitely something you need to spend a lot of time with playing YOUR music on. For instance I demoed some $15,000 speakers and they sounded great with female singer songwriter and even blues, but they feel apart playing Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon. My speakers sounded better with that record and mine were only $175 or so.

I ran into that with cartridges. 

On top of that, one of the parts that makes the hobby somewhat maddening is that you never know how a component is going to react with your setup.  I demoed a pair of Quad speakers at a shop many years ago that sounded breathtakingly beautiful and immediately bought them.  With my setup, they sounded dark and dull.  Practically muddy.  I ended up reselling them and replacing them with a pair of Axiom Audio speakers that cost a fraction of the Quads that sounded much better.  If you play guitar, you run into the same stuff. 

That's one of the reasons I've always stuck with integrated amps.  One less link in the chain.  Granted, before I had kids, I was going to by a vintage McIntosh MC275 and C22.  At least with that I know the weak link aren't the pre and power amps. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm Shane
I'm 14 and have been collecting/listening to vinyl for about 2 years. 
I'd like to hear some feedback on my set-up.

My turntable and receiver are on drawers under a bookshelf. 

7LX65SP.jpg

KNHo94V.jpg

My turntable is a Technics SL-D2, and my receiver is a Sony STR-V220 

Vsf9zVF.jpg

My preamp is that one I always see bad reviews for

mmqK328.jpg

I use a milk crate and a box for listening storage (there's more of my dad's in the basement) . With 10 & 7"s kept in the little pocket on the left. Also, everybody needs outer-sleeves.

BjSJQX8.jpg

M-Audio BX5a's. Studio monitors that sound rather good.

RYur0qu.jpg

I have no clue what the cartridge/needle is (I dont have a good understanding of them, other than the fact that mine needs to be replaced).

dKRIxvR.jpg

I also have a cool little "Now Playing" shelf I made.

Also, if you quote try not to quote the entire thing, I know the pictures make the post rather big to quote.

You have way better taste at 14 than I did, nice Dear Hunter!

Nice setup overall, I would say if there was a weakest link in the chain it would be your receiver.  Try hunting around estate and garage sales for old Pioneers, Marantz, Yamahas or Technics, I think you'd be surprised how much better your setup would sound.

If you're looking to replace your cartridge (which it sounds like you are) I might recommend the AT95e from Audio Technica, its a steal at 40 bucks and sounds better than many much more expensive options.  I use it on my "vintage" setup with my Pioneer Pl-255.