post your set-up thread

• 2 weeks later...

my beginner setup:

Marantz PM5004 integrated amplifier

Polk Monitor 70 speakers

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (stock) turntable

The other component you see is my HTPC (i3-2100T, 120gb solid state OS drive, 2TBx2 mirrored media drives) connected with a Nuforce Udac.

A very good system compared to what 99% of people use. Obviously, things can go way up, but this is a great "beginner setup". At this point, I don't feel the need to recommend that people buy more. If they want more, I'm happy to do so, but people who really enjoy music, should at least get to this point.

A very good system compared to what 99% of people use. Obviously, things can go way up, but this is a great "beginner setup". At this point, I don't feel the need to recommend that people buy more. If they want more, I'm happy to do so, but people who really enjoy music, should at least get to this point.

Appreciate it.  Built based on feedback found here and elsewhere on the internet. After a bit of bargain shopping and it wasn't even really very expensive.

Marantz PM5004 integrated amplifier ($185 Amazon Warehouse)

Polk Monitor 70 speakers ($300 for the pair...purchased years ago)

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (stock) turntable ($340 on Musician's Friend)

Not completely happy with the speakers but they get the job done.  I would like to replace them with a book shelf setup at some point.

Man if I could get a PM5004 for $185 I'd be all over that right now, and I never even thought to get a  carbon from Musician's Friend since they're always running deals like right now 12% off a $299 phone order or 15% off $499.  I'll have to keep all of that in mind when the time comes.

Man if I could get a PM5004 for $185 I'd be all over that right now, and I never even thought to get a  carbon from Musician's Friend since they're always running deals like right now 12% off a $299 phone order or 15% off $499.  I'll have to keep all of that in mind when the time comes.

Just keep an eye on Amazon for that price on the PM5004.  I knew others had gotten one for $185.  I just watched for a few weeks before it came up.  Not sure why the Warehouse price is so heavily discounted but it seems like whenever they come up as "used-Like New" or "used-Very Good" the price falls in that neighborhood.

The thing with Musician's Friend is that they perputually have coupon codes available ranging from 10%-20% off.   I have a 15% off $99+ code that you can have if you need it. 

Even if they don't have a code available, you can always call and just ask for 15% off or whatever and they will likely give it to you.

That's pretty awesome I'll have to keep my eye on Amazon then which shouldn't be a problem.  I really never even gave Musician's Friend a thought when it came to turntables.  But will remember when I go ahead and finally purchase the carbon.

Go here: http://camelcamelcamel.com/Marantz-PM5004-Integrated-Amplifier-Black/product/B003R7KMTC

Set up an account, set your desired price in the "3rd party used" bracket and you'll get an email as soon as it's in stock/the price drops under your set price. ;)

Go here: http://camelcamelcamel.com/Marantz-PM5004-Integrated-Amplifier-Black/product/B003R7KMTC

Set up an account, set your desired price in the "3rd party used" bracket and you'll get an email as soon as it's in stock/the price drops under your set price. ;)

Oh, Technology.  Thanks for that.  Question anyone have any thoughts on BIC Venturi's V62s?  or even the modified EFE Technology DV62si's?  I saw some V62s(Not DV62s the originals) that I can probably get for $80 then stumbled on the Ed Frias modification stuff and didn't know if it would be worth it or applicable to a vinyl setting or if anyone knows anything about that at all.

Appreciate it. Built based on feedback found here and elsewhere on the internet. After a bit of bargain shopping and it wasn't even really very expensive.

Marantz PM5004 integrated amplifier ($185 Amazon Warehouse)

Polk Monitor 70 speakers ($300 for the pair...purchased years ago)

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (stock) turntable ($340 on Musician's Friend)

Not completely happy with the speakers but they get the job done. I would like to replace them with a book shelf setup at some point.

Is your table just sitting on the wire rack? Try and find (or make) a wooden slab and put it on the top shelf for a turntable platform. You'll also need to put some isolation/shock absorber material between the metal and the wood, but that should help your setup sound a little better.

Is your table just sitting on the wire rack? Try and find (or make) a wooden slab and put it on the top shelf for a turntable platform. You'll also need to put some isolation/shock absorber material between the metal and the wood, but that should help your setup sound a little better.

Already done.  I ordered a 2" thick maple butcher block type cutting board--pending delivery.  I intend to anchor it to the top of the rack with some rubber washers or something inbetween.

I finished my upstairs setup and have been breaking it in this week.  It sounds fantastic:

Pro-ject Carbon with 2M Red and Music Hall Cork Mat
Kenwood KX-49C tape deck
JVC XL-V112 Cd player
Yamaha A-S500 Integrated Amplifier
Pioneer CS-905 Speakers

The rack:

P1000976.jpg

top: Yamaha A-S500
bottom: My Cd player and tape deck.  Both were scored at goodwill for 10 bucks each!

P1000977.jpg

One of my CS-905s with the cover off.
P1000978.jpg

The media with some "now playing" stands:
I've been on a screamo binge lately.
P1000979.jpg

I call this a modern setup even though 3/5 of the components are over 20 years old, simply because it has a modern sound.  The a-s500 is an extremely bright and detailed amp so I picked out some mid 80s pioneer speakers that are plenty warm and also have the added bonus of a HUGE soundstage.  I know the CS-905s are usually thought of as a "party" speaker, but I find the sound quality fantastic for the type of music I listen to (punk/hardcore/metal), the drums sound especially realistic without being harsh.  Plus I tested these puppies against some vintage pairs of infinity, klipsch and KLH, and the Pioneers won out every time.

my beginner setup:

Marantz PM5004 integrated amplifier

Polk Monitor 70 speakers

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (stock) turntable

The other component you see is my HTPC (i3-2100T, 120gb solid state OS drive, 2TBx2 mirrored media drives) connected with a Nuforce Udac.

400438_4934207999238_1666077655_n.jpg

969118_4934208079240_1310679591_n.jpg

944475_4934208039239_42917908_n.jpg

I plan on having that exact setup, except the speakers which I don't know what to get for that yet

How do you like that pro-ject/PM5004 combo?

I plan on having that exact setup, except the speakers which I don't know what to get for that yet

How do you like that pro-ject/PM5004 combo?

I like it quite a bit.  At the time I made the purchase, I was considering several options including the Yamaha A-S500 and Harman Kardon 3490. 

I suspect that those models may be on your radar as well. 

Honestly, I think I would have been satisfied with any of the three but I am pleased with the PM5004.  It has all of the features that I need and no dead-weight.

I really like that I can keep my headphones plugged in and simply turn off the speakers if I want to give the neighbors a break.  (not sure if leaving my headphones plugged in 24-7 is the best practice--we'll call it burn-in.) 

The only caveat I can offer is that at only 35 wpc, you will need to pair it with some fairly efficient speakers and (probably?) a modest sized room.  I think my Polks have a 90 db sensitivity rating.

Oh, so you don't unplug your headphones at all? That's a big no-no. I don't know about this exact model, but usually the headphone outputs on these amps are pretty high-voltage, and you can easily destroy your headphones this way...

Good to know. 

Does the risk occur when the amp is powered on/off? 

Is it best to plug in after turning the amp on and unplug before turning it off?

Does it make a difference if I leave the amp in stand-by when not in use?

You don't need to worry about much else other than:

-always make sure that the volume is turned all the way down when powering ON the amp (or waking it from stand-by)

-always make sure that the volume is all the way down when plugging IN your headphones (it doesn't hurt to turn it all the way down when unplugging them as well, but it isn't necesarry)

As for the stand-by mode, it's actually better than turning the amp off when not in use. All the electronic parts will work better and longer if they have a constant current present. My amp doesn't have a stand-by mode, but I leave it on 24/7, I only turn it off when I know I won't be home for over a day.

Already done.  I ordered a 2" thick maple butcher block type cutting board--pending delivery.  I intend to anchor it to the top of the rack with some rubber washers or something inbetween.

Platform/Neoprene pad(cut using only the most precise techniques)

941139_4949677865975_142259654_n.jpg

601808_4949677905976_1012615343_n.jpg

I wound up using 2 pieces of neoprene pad between the rack and a 18 x 12 x 2.25 inch thick maple butcher block cutting board.  There's probably a better solution out there, but this should at least be an improvement.

That's pretty awesome I'll have to keep my eye on Amazon then which shouldn't be a problem.  I really never even gave Musician's Friend a thought when it came to turntables.  But will remember when I go ahead and finally purchase the carbon.

If you're still in the market, I see a used-like new PM5004 on Amazon this morning for $191

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B003R7KMTC/ref=sr_1_2_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1371046600&sr=8-2&keywords=marantz+pm&condition=used

Yeah I was hemming and hawing a little too much this morning, and its gone now.  Dang.  I guess I'll wait again.  I'm basically starting a brand new system since my current set-up is far from ideal.  Ultimately I'd like to get the Project Carbon, this integrated, and I'm not sure on speakers but I'm leaning towards the Wharfedale 10.1s but I'm so new at this(buying high end equipment) I'm not sure whats good at reasonable price (I know my wife would like me to stay well under $1k but I know I'll be closer to $1k in the end) and whats not so then I miss out on deals like this.  Oh well.  

Yeah I was hemming and hawing a little too much this morning, and its gone now.  Dang.  I guess I'll wait again.  I'm basically starting a brand new system since my current set-up is far from ideal.  Ultimately I'd like to get the Project Carbon, this integrated, and I'm not sure on speakers but I'm leaning towards the Wharfedale 10.1s but I'm so new at this(buying high end equipment) I'm not sure whats good at reasonable price (I know my wife would like me to stay well under $1k but I know I'll be closer to $1k in the end) and whats not so then I miss out on deals like this.  Oh well.  

Interested to hear what results you get.  I would like to move to something smaller than the floor standing speakers I currently use.

If you are in a position to make a move on some speakers and don't mind a short road-trip, there are a pair of Wharfedale 9.1s on Chicago CL for $125.  Might be a good comprimise vs a pair of 10.1s if you don't mind going used.

I wonder what the major differences are between the 9.1s and 10.1s.  Could be worth a drive down, its only an hour away.  Even with the drive it would be a considerable discount and the 9.1s still get favorable reviews.  I don't mind going used at all, mostly I'm just looking for a good set-up where I'm not going to feel like in a couple months I should have saved a bit more and bought something else.  I just need direction at this point, haha.

If I come up with a reason to make the trip to Chicago, I might pick them up myself. 

I think you could do a lot worse for the price and even if you do ultimately decide to go with something else, you could surely flip them without taking much of a loss (if any).  They look like they are in perfect condition. 

I apolgize for the lack of a direct link, I cannot access CL from work.