post your set-up thread

Diggin' the Complete Calvin and Hobbes box set, NoFxpunkguy. Love those books.

Nice catch!!  didnt think many would even know what that was.

one day i was searching ebay and saw a seller who listed them as the soft back version and at a great price so i grabbed them.   4 days later they arrived and are the hardback version instead.   so i got a complete steal and saved well over $100 in the end

Nice catch!! didnt think many would even know what that was.

one day i was searching ebay and saw a seller who listed them as the soft back version and at a great price so i grabbed them. 4 days later they arrived and are the hardback version instead. so i got a complete steal and saved well over $100 in the end

I've had it in my amazon cart for over year waiting for the right price. Hopefully it drops before Christmas.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my very first set up that I just pieced together.

Dual 1219 Turntable
Shure M91 MG-D Cartrdige
MCS 2256 Integrated Amp
MCS 2256 Quartz Tuner
Couple of crappy little KLH Model 45 bookshelf speakers
Picture of Grandma  :) 

DSC01026.jpg

DSC01027.jpg

It's a classical kind of morning so I can get my homework done  :) 

What's cool about the turntable, and something I've personally never seen before but I'm sure many of you have, is the dustcover. You can flip up just the front portion to access the inside. Pretty neat, I think.

Only thing I want to do is upgrade my speakers from those little bookshelf. I got my eye on a couple sony towers speakers but I have to wait until the funds make possible.

There's at least one Dual expert out there who would argue that the 1219 was the best the company ever made.  Those Dual idler drives have many, many fans, and while they're certainly not the last word in turntables, they're really fun and enjoyable. I've got a 1229 and it's got soul!  I was recently thinking about selling it because it's currently out of rotation, but I'm really not sure I can bring myself to do it.

There's at least one Dual expert out there who would argue that the 1219 was the best the company ever made.  Those Dual idler drives have many, many fans, and while they're certainly not the last word in turntables, they're really fun and enjoyable. I've got a 1229 and it's got soul!  I was recently thinking about selling it because it's currently out of rotation, but I'm really not sure I can bring myself to do it.

I knew nothing about it when I purchased it. I just liked the fact that it worked and I prefer the vintage wood look. Now that I've been doing more research on it I am quite impressed by this thing. I didn't even know about idler drives lol! Certainly is quite the upgrade from my beginner all-in-one cd/record/cassette unit. The guy that I bought it from already had a 1229 and he picked this one up at an estate sale along with an old amp. He only wanted the amp but the person wouldn't separate them for him so he had to take them both. Now I have it and I love it!  :D

Now that sounds like a good night.  How is the double black by the way?

You know, it develops wonderfully as you go through the first pouring.  It has a much more rich, smoky and almost buttery development which the regular black never had for me.  Infact, this new Double Black is my scotch of choice in the whole Johnny Walker lineup from Red to Blue.

After the first explosion of flavor on the palette, it lingers on and keeps developing long after.  I really really like it!  It has a finish to die for and very unusual at for it's price point.  The blender of this scotch is quite a master of his craft.  

Catch is, you have to finish your glass within 15 minutes or so, otherwise you tend to lose out on all the complexities that unfold on your palette.  That 15 minute journey is pretty wild and interesting...get a bottle and try it.  See what you think.

I had just re-installed the full Stein Harmonizer system in the room, so the listening experience was really something special with the extra full bodied sound I was getting in the room.  Last night was definitely magical!

You know, it develops wonderfully as you go through the first pouring.  It has a much more rich, smoky and almost buttery development which the regular black never had for me.  Infact, this new Double Black is my scotch of choice in the whole Johnny Walker lineup from Red to Blue.

After the first explosion of flavor on the palette, it lingers on and keeps developing long after.  I really really like it!  It has a finish to die for and very unusual at for it's price point.  The blender of this scotch is quite a master of his craft.  

Catch is, you have to finish your glass within 15 minutes or so, otherwise you tend to lose out on all the complexities that unfold on your palette.  That 15 minute journey is pretty wild and interesting...get a bottle and try it.  See what you think.

I had just re-installed the full Stein Harmonizer system in the room, so the listening experience was really something special with the extra full bodied sound I was getting in the room.  Last night was definitely magical!

Damn sounds good.  Your description sounded like a professional taster wrote it!

Damn sounds good.  Your description sounded like a professional taster wrote it!

Thanks for the compliment...I was just revisiting these very thoughts I had last night so I poured out whatever I had in mind with that post.

Here is the short of it, get some Double Black and tell me what you think.  Also, do you have some other good recommendations so I can do some explorations on my end?  During the holiday seasons, the spirits are (pun intended :) ) and prices are generally lower than any other time in the year!

Thanks for the compliment...I was just revisiting these very thoughts I had last night so I poured out whatever I had in mind with that post.

Here is the short of it, get some Double Black and tell me what you think.  Also, do you have some other good recommendations so I can do some explorations on my end?  During the holiday seasons, the spirits are (pun intended :) ) and prices are generally lower than any other time in the year!

I'm a big fan of any of the Highland Park whiskys.  The 15 yo and 18 yo are really good if you have not tried them.

By the we have a scotch thread here as well:  http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/68470-any-scotch-lovers-out-there/page-3?hl=+highland%20+park

Not sure how you guys will feel about this as it's more of a DJ setup... whenever I have people over, they all want to listen to records and dance. As such, I ended up buying a matching 2nd table to make sure the music never stops! (Audio Technica LP120 ) and  Pioneer 2 channel mixer (DJM-250). Just replaced the carts on both tables to the AT440mla. What a difference that made! The record shelf/entertainment center is custom made. My father-in-law built it for me out of oak to my spec. I decided to paint it flat black to match all of my other components. It's my favorite piece because it was made with love from my father-in-law. (you won't find it at Ikea!) 

photo_1.jpg

Not sure how you guys will feel about this as it's more of a DJ setup... whenever I have people over, they all want to listen to records and dance. As such, I ended up buying a matching 2nd table to make sure the music never stops! (Audio Technica LP120 ) and  Pioneer 2 channel mixer (DJM-250). Just replaced the carts on both tables to the AT440mla. What a difference that made! The record shelf/entertainment center is custom made. My father-in-law built it for me out of oak to my spec. I decided to paint it flat black to match all of my other components. It's my favorite piece because it was made with love from my father-in-law. (you won't find it at Ikea!) 

photo_1.jpg

This looks tight man! Great job! Love the bose speakers! 

I just got a Dynavector XV-1S from a friend yesterday (borrowing it).  Will be fun to try out in my system.

Meanwhile he isn't hurting either!  He is using a Jan Alleart MC1B which I helped him procure without the 13 month wait period!

Here is the Dynavector XV-1s, it's a generic pic off the net:

DrTXV-1s_crp_sm.jpg