NHL Discussion

holy Holtby

Dude has been super good. Bruins haven't really tested him enough though. Like 90% of the shots from the perimeter last night, they need to get in front of the net. I'm basically rooting for the third line to get on the ice, so weird.

But yeah, Holtby=Beast. He seems genuinely like-able as well.

Listened to sports radio all day today.. everyone seems pretty calm about tonight.. I'm going to be a little more realistic.. in my opinion, tonight is must win for the Flyers.. Bryz needs to have a solid game, get some confidence back and then get some relaxation time for whatever this possible hip injury is. I am pretty terrified of a confident Penguins/Fluery when they are on their game.. can't let them hang around and get that chance.

I don't get why Vancouver/LA don't play again until Sunday, that's a bit of a break there. I think LA has that series easily.

Also think Matt Read got fucked on the Calder ballot.. I guess cause he is a little older?.. even though he is still a rookie.

My Preds are the first team to advance although I would rather them be the last team left. Long way to go but proud of the Preds on beating the team that they have pretty much modeled their whole franchise around. As Rick Flair said, to be the man you've got to beat the man. Zetterberg and Datsyuk are two of the best players in the world and Nikolas Lidstrom is pretty good too. Lets see if we can keep it going.

Holy shit. Torres is suspended from 25 games, which will extend into next season. He can't play any pre-season games either. He will forfeit a total of $533,000 in salary due to the suspension. Jesus, they threw the book at him. Based on the hit I saw, this is WAY too strict a penalty.

even when you factor in the fact that he has previously been suspended 3 times in the past 13 months for similar hits? I am fine with the suspension, about time Shanahan sends a message.

Holy shit. Torres is suspended from 25 games, which will extend into next season. He can't play any pre-season games either. He will forfeit a total of $533,000 in salary due to the suspension. Jesus, they threw the book at him. Based on the hit I saw, this is WAY too strict a penalty.

even when you factor in the fact that he has previously been suspended 3 times in the past 13 months for similar hits? I am fine with the suspension, about time Shanahan sends a message.

I don't actually know anything about his prior offenses. The article didn't say anything. Are they for head hunting hits?? I guess I'd have to know what he other offenses are before I can judge it, but 25 is a shit ton...

There were 3 infractions alone on the Hossa hit (illegal hit to head, charging & interference) He was suspended for charging Nate Prosser (Minnesota) earlier this season, he was fined this season for elbowing Jan Hedja (Colorado), was suspended last season for elbowing Jordan Eberle in the head. I believe had had a warning or two as well.

Also, edit to last post, two previous times, this is the third.

I'm not upset at 25 games for Torres, but that just puts a HUGE "what the fuck?" that Neal got NOTHING for his hit. He got 1 game for the Giroux shot, not anything for the flying headshot before that.

If the same hit occurred, which it did, why the huge difference? It should not be injury result, because you have to punish actions not results, and Torres' history can't account for an extra 20 games or so.

Shanahan is ridiculous.

It should not be injury result, because you have to punish actions not results, and Torres' history can't account for an extra 20 games or so.

Shanahan is ridiculous.

This is absolutely true, with officiating and with Shanahan. I really don't agree with the discipline being based off of injury. Especially since a concussion might not have an immediate showing. If the intent is there, why do you need more than that?

If you heard that from Torts, then maybe, but it really wasn't. Boyle was cutting across the top of the circle or so with his head down watching his pass and Neil hit him from directly in front without leaving his feet, elbowing, or really targeting the head. The head got involved, but it wasn't "the principle point of contact" so it really was ok.

And this is coming from someone who despises Neil.