NHL Discussion

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

Of the $300M NHL proposed for Make Whole, $250M is Make Whole and $50M is for pension funding that would not come out of the players' share.

Couple of other details emerging: NHL proposal for 10 year CBA term contains an opt-out clause after 8 years. So it could be an 8 year deal.

What NHLPA definitely won't like about NHL offer: 5 year term limit on contracts (except 7 for own UFAs), 5% variance, 10 year term for CBA.

What NHLPA may not like about NHL proposal: $300M Make Whole, up from $211M offer, which more or less splits difference on NHLPA ask $393M.

What the NHLPA will like about NHL offer: status quo on UFA and salary arbitration.

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris

Bettman: "Do you know what my magic date was? It was Oct. 11, when we should have started the season."

you know what is great about this? the players wanted to PLAY THE SEASON. Screw bettman. seriously, they could have played this season under an extension of the previous CBA as the players offered while negotiating the CBA.... and now he says this? what a joke.

I have a number of clients who have a second job working at PNC park over the summer and Consol over the winter to help pay their bills... and they're struggling right now because of the lack of events in the arena to make up for the games missed. granted, its only 15-20 hrs a week, but they're making $10-12/hr, and they're struggling, but they dont want to get a new job because of the "seniority" they've built up with the concessions company.

this affects a lot more than just NHL teams/players... all the workers at the arenas, hotels, ect.... they suffer probably worse than the players/owners are.

My high school english teacher works at Honda Center. I miss seeing her at games, but I hope she still has a job with other events going on.

because the owners hire him as their league representative to the players

He has to be the shittiest person to run a professional sport ever. Seriously he is ruining the league and it kills me. As someone who grew up playing hockey, and has been to more NHL games than i can count i hate him. I know all of Canada (my former home) hates him. He is an awful person and his ideas on hockey are pathetic, honestly at this point I wish bain capital would have bought the league.