NHL Discussion

sammy - true cups are important. but philly hasn't won in 30+ years and i consider them a model, toronto hasn't won in 40+ years and i still consider them a model. when was the last times the habs won? 199x?

1993 damnit. And I don't consider the Leafs anything but a total mess. Never have been committed to anything but short-term plans.

Same thing with Philly, honestly. The Eric Lindros deal was horrible one when you look at what it turned in to. In that deal were the pieces that made Philadelphia nothing but a contender and made Colorado two-time Cup Champions.

You in the Cup or you achieve nothing and in that regard the Wings are the only team right now that should serve as anyone's model.

Three words: Robitaille, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg.

how can you talk about draft day diamonds without a mention of the red wings?

zetterberg was in the 7th round, holmstrom was in the 10th round, Datsyuk was in the 6th round

Ahem. Volume one. Of a continuing series. Patience.

There are plenty of others as well.

Three words: Robitaille, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg.

how can you talk about draft day diamonds without a mention of the red wings?

zetterberg was in the 7th round, holmstrom was in the 10th round, Datsyuk was in the 6th round

Ahem. Volume one. Of a continuing series. Patience.

There are plenty of others as well.

I know, I was just making a point :)

Same thing with Philly, honestly. The Eric Lindros deal was horrible one when you look at what it turned in to. In that deal were the pieces that made Philadelphia nothing but a contender and made Colorado two-time Cup Champions.

You in the Cup or you achieve nothing and in that regard the Wings are the only team right now that should serve as anyone's model.

Lindros deal wasn't all that horrible, when you think about it. 88 is one of the highest selling jersey's in history. Think that's not of benefit to a franchise? Tell me Lindros wasn't an excellent player in his time. And truthfully, Forsberg fizzled out quickly just like Lindros did.

But The Nordiques were largely responsible for the success of Colorado, not Philadelphia. And Lindros was Quebec move, not a Colorado one. Sure there's Forsberg. And that 1st rounder (Jocelyn Thibault) was packaged up and exchanged for Patrick Roy, but how about:

Joe Sakic

Chris Drury

Adam Foote

Adam Deadmarsh

Milan Hejduk

Forsberg and that pick (that became Roy) were crucial, yes. But could Peter Forsberg and Patrick Roy win a cup alone? Lindros trade probably made the difference, you're right, but if Quebec hadn't already laid down that foundation above, it would have been equally as fruitless to them as it was to Philadelphia. And by himself, Forsberg wouldn't have made the difference for Philadelphia, either -- we saw that later on. Would Leclair and Renberg have been as shit hot as they were without Lindros? There are so many things to consider. The most fortunate of the lot, you could argue, were the Rangers. Them getting the shaft helped them the cup almost right away by keeping Richter and Kovalev.

And since we talking about great Quebec draft picks, let's not forget Mats Sundin, Owen Nolan, Michel Goulet, and Peter Stasny.

The Quebec Nordiques -- the mother of all model franchises.

Those cups belong to Canada.

Just my opinion.

And a valid one. The majority are on your side, I reckon.

I was just pointing out some different takes. That's what makes this a discussion, after all.

You're quite knowledgeable, Mr. GoodCore.

It happens with a grandfather who's been watching hockey since he was 5, roughly 70 years, takes you to games from the time you're 8.

The Lindros move is one you can't argue with too much I suppose. I mean, there's not much you can change in hindsight. But overpaying by that much for player who never wanted to be in Quebec and who had never played a game in the NHL was not a good call on Clarke's part.

Oh and I agree that first Cup belongs to Quebec, not Denver.

seriously, how many people really do remember the Pens pre-lockout that aren't from Pittsburgh or western PA? Probably not that many, those were the dark ages for the Pens franchise... I doubt Brad knows much of anything about the Pens or the team of players they had pre lockout outside of reading wikipedia. So to say they tanked to get crosby... yeah, okay.

they tanked to get malkin, fluery, whitney, and even stall. crosby was gift wrapped to them.

i remember the pens pre-lockout because i've always been a flyers fan. they were a joke for half a decade. that's all i'm saying.

Since 1990 only two teams have been in the playoffs more than the Penguins. Detroit and New Jersey -- that's all I'm saying ;)

Since we got a little antsy about my draft diamonds, here's Volume 2.

(Please note the inclusion of a certain Los Angeles King)

drabley's draft day diamonds (vol 2)

Doug Gilmour

Position: Center

Draft year: 1982

Round: 7

Overall: 134

Team: St. Louis Blues

Luc Robitaille

Position: Left Wing

Draft year: 1984

Round: 9

Overall: 171

Team: Los Angeles Kings

Theoren Fleury

Position: Right Wing

Draft year: 1987

Round: 8

Overall: 166

Team: Calgary Flames

lol, i said Montreal would win in 4 games? didn't know that. i think you are the one that is high.

Re-read what I said. You would do best to be sure you read something correctly. I said 4 games in seven tries. And if you don't think Montreal is going to win four games, then you're right.

i used to have the tom glavine hockey card (or maybe it was a baseball card with him on skates). either case, i loved it and now cant find a photo of it to save my life, other than this ebay auction

Hockey card

I have the michael jordan rookie card......... for the white sox..... hahaha

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Thomas go to Europe and come back as a free agent?

He was drafted in 94 by the Nordiques. Played at U. Vermont for 4 years. He was in and out of the minors/Europe for quite some time. He was first in the Oilers organization, then the Bruins in 2001.

So you're right.

But he was drafted by the Nordiques, originally. Never played a minute for them.