NHL Discussion

crosby should seriously get called for dives like that. it's just fucking pathetic. i can understand exagerating a bit in a tight game to try to draw a call. but that is just flat out sad. if i dove like that i'd be embarassed of myself. what a little bitch.

the non interference call when lindstrom got hit in the first was also bullshit. he didn't even make a motion for the puck.

that aside. detroit played like shit last night. they looked like crap and had way too many turnovers and looked very uncomfortable coming out of their own zone. the fucking islanders could have beat them last night the way they played.

still confident that they'll win the series though. they'll bounce back and win game five and six.

they better. because crosby does not deserve a cup. what a fucking embarassment to the sport that asshat is.

Haha, complaining about diving when one of the Wings took a pretty obvious dive last night.

Why are Wings fans such whiners?

crosby is a known diver. he has been since he came in the league. meanwhile he's supposed to be the face of the new NHL and a role model for kids. the guy consistantly dives and whines to refs when they don't call penalties. i'm embarassed for him. if i had a kid who was playing hockey crosby is the last player i'd want him to look up to as a role model. the guy belongs on The View not in the NHL.

LOL

Crosby is only a known diver to immature brats like you. The real flopper is Osgood, he's not doing it too much this year, but that dude was like a fish last year.

If you want to complain about things, how about Osgood sticking Dupuis at the end of the 2nd? How about the automatic goal that should have been awarded on the empty net penalty? Not complainin', just sayin'.

Ok, enough w/ that. Crosby haters are hilarious and it's so tired, so I won't stir that pot anymore.

A few thoughts...

Draper should not have played. Yes, he's a beast on the faceoffs, but that sat Abdelkader for him and that rookie has been playing great.

The Red Wings better come up w/ a solution for Malkin soon. Can Dats be that answer? I dunno, but I like the idea of a guy w/ a bum foot covering the most explosive player in this series ;)

Anyone think Lidstrom might be injured? He's not as dominant as usual. Could be age. Something has to be up w/ Holmstrom though, he's been almost a non-factor.

Malkin has the 8th highest point total in playoff history.

Crosby and Malkin are the first two teammates to break 30 points since Messier and Leetch in 94!

Matt Cooke hits everything.

As a former player (not professional, but I did play in rep leagues in my teens) I was taught that part of being on the ice is to take advantage of every available situation, no matter what when or how that situation is or presents itself. This is one of the many mental aspects of the game.

Taking a dive is taking advantage of a situation. Knowing where the refs are is just as important as knowing where your mates and the puck is. If Crosby identified the ref as being at an angle where he could pull this off without penalization, good for him. Similarly, if he decided that even if the ref saw him it was unlikely he'd be called, good for him as well. This is giving his team an edge, or the opportunity for an edge, by taking advantage of a situation.

Further, Crosby is likely aware that he gets the benefit of the doubt for most everything he does. Another situation he most likely takes advantage of to the benefit of his team.

The testosterone part of me says that diving is cowardly. My brain, however, recognizes it as just another tactic -- another means to an end.

There'll no doubt be those of you that disagree. Fact remains, it's a widely used tactic in the NHL, NBA, and NFL. If someone could figure out how to make it work in the MLB, I'm sure it would show up there as well.

I don't like it. But I understand it.

As a former player (not professional, but I did play in rep leagues in my teens) I was taught that part of being on the ice is to take advantage of every available situation, no matter what when or how that situation is or presents itself. This is one of the many mental aspects of the game.

Taking a dive is taking advantage of a situation. Knowing where the refs are is just as important as knowing where your mates and the puck is. If Crosby identified the ref as being at an angle where he could pull this off without penalization, good for him. Similarly, if he decided that even if the ref saw him it was unlikely he'd be called, good for him as well. This is giving his team an edge, or the opportunity for an edge, by taking advantage of a situation.

Further, Crosby is likely aware that he gets the benefit of the doubt for most everything he does. Another situation he most likely takes advantage of to the benefit of his team.

The testosterone part of me says that diving is cowardly. My brain, however, recognizes it as just another tactic -- another means to an end.

There'll no doubt be those of you that disagree. Fact remains, it's a widely used tactic in the NHL, NBA, and NFL. If someone could figure out how to make it work in the MLB, I'm sure it would show up there as well.

I don't like it. But I understand it.

I see where you're coming from and my competitive side in sports says "do whatever it takes to win."

I'm sure that's running through the players minds right now too. This is the STANLEY CUP FINALS after all!

It's similar to how Pens are obviously finishing their checks and poking at Ericsson and the Red Wings are making sure Gonchar's knee is feeling it after a hit.

I agree with most of your post, drabley. As a former player myself (kind of a current one too), diving is definitely taking advantage of a situation. I mean, Crosby did get legitimately chopped on the back of the leg there (where there isn't too much padding). I'm sure it stung a bit. The thing is, he should be smarter about it. The referee might very well have seen the whole thing, and might have called it a slash if Crosby hadn't flung his arms out there like a sniper got him. Or because of the theatrics, he could have called both of them.

I always felt like that kid in the Mighty Ducks who refused to play by Gordon Bombay's rules and wouldn't go down when that stick was under his cage, because I was taught that you go down if there's an injury, not if there is just pain. I honestly hope that Crosby was a little bit hurt there, because he took himself out of the play right next to his own net, and if the puck had somehow stayed in the zone his team would have been shorthanded. So because of that, he should've felt a little ashamed.

people saying it's crosby trying to give him an edge....serious?

watch the video again...notice the score, notice the period, notice the time on the clock, notice where on the ice it is.

Hints:

1) 4 - 2 in the third period with 7 and 1/2 mins left. if the wings get one then it's a whole new game.

2) it's in the defensive zone!

3) the player he was supposed to gaurd took a shot on goal!

if the wings scored because crosby flopped around is it okay because crosby was trying his best to win? Sorry, but trying your best to win means playing defense, something he didn't do in that instance.

It does seem like, on both sides (or all teams really), that if a stick is anywhere near the face, a player will immediately snap their head back or flail around or something. It's a pretty lame thing to watch, really. I'm not trying to be all macho saying "unless there's blood, they shouldn't act that way", but some of it is ridiculous.

nope, didn't see it. if you can post a video i will be sure to LOL at him as well.

Then you didn't watch the entire game and you should not bitch and moan. You can't watch half a game and then comment on it like Crosby is a fool and the only diving, common man.

Can't find a video.

remind me please where i said crosby is the only one diving?

skimmed it....and you made a good point, but i am still slightly upset you consider the slash a legit slash.

i, like you it seems, grew up on playing hockey without diving. if you are hurt you go to the bench and deal with it then, you don't life face down in the defensive zone pinning for a call.

Incredible. You must have played in some magical league where every player played precisely by the book without infraction or bending of the rules. The refs never missed a call and never got a call wrong -- not that there was much to call in the first place since you were kept tightly in check by some doctrine of honor. You should contact NHL officials and inform them of this league so they can attempt to emmulate it.

Players have been exagerating minor infractions against them or creating the illusion of an infraction since the sport began. This is called a dive. Nobody has played hockey, or any sport where penalties are called, without some form of diving. Christ -- pretty much every slide tackle in a soccer match involves some sort of diving, yet it is the most popular sport in the world. Has the degree of flamboyance changed with time? Absolutely. But so has the flamboyance of the games themselves.

You seem torn between two worlds, Mr. Brad. You seem to genuinely love the game, but yet it seems you wish to steer it to a place where it can no longer exist. The game has been Americanized now. The focus is on offence, salaries and revenue. Powerplays equal offence. Why do you think interference is called so liberally now? I can remember never seeing interference calls unless it involved a goaltender -- now the goaltender seems to be the only player not involved in these calls. Offence.

Considering league revenues have increased by several hundred percent since Mr. Bettman took the helm, I'd say that a large swath of people aren't taking it quite as personally as yourself. Some don't know any better. Some do. Some also know that in order for the sport to stay relevant, it needs to adapt to fit the demands of the public at large. If a purist has their feathers ruffled here and there along the way, so be it.

In summary, put up or shut up.