NHL Discussion

Leafs picked up another D, Brett Lebda. In this signing, I take it Tomas Kaberle is out the door in favor of some help up front.

I wonder how truthful all the grumblings about him heading to Anaheim are.

Burke Needs to get rid of Kaberle and Grabovski. Burke needs to aquire Savard and a top 3 left winger.

Leafs picked up another D, Brett Lebda. In this signing, I take it Tomas Kaberle is out the door in favor of some help up front.

I wonder how truthful all the grumblings about him heading to Anaheim are.

Burke Needs to get rid of Kaberle and Grabovski. Burke needs to aquire Savard and a top 3 left winger.

This is a lot of work!

Man, fuck Doug Wilson and the Sharks. $14MM over 4 years on the offer sheet for Hjalmarsson? GENIUS. I'm sure the Blackhawks will match it and make the cap situation even more brutal for next year. Still, I was hoping they could keep Hammer under $3MM for the next few years.

It's a lot of money for this guy too.

the point with long contracts is to relieve cap hit and also a player that signed a contract before the age 35 can retire and the cap hit will be gone. The longer the contract the more it leans to the teams favour but there is always risks.
That's exactly why I think they should cap the lengths. It's ridiculous that a team can front-load a contract for a real salary for 2 or 3 years, then go league minimum for 9 more and stretch it out, lowering the cap hit. That's deliberately circumventing the cap.

the point with long contracts is to relieve cap hit and also a player that signed a contract before the age 35 can retire and the cap hit will be gone. The longer the contract the more it leans to the teams favour but there is always risks.
That's exactly why I think they should cap the lengths. It's ridiculous that a team can front-load a contract for a real salary for 2 or 3 years, then go league minimum for 9 more and stretch it out, lowering the cap hit. That's deliberately circumventing the cap.

I tend to agree, but at the same time admire the creativity by GMs. If there's a loophole to exploit, exploit it, I say.