Hiking

My girlfriend's mom is currently in NC on her way through the Appalachian Trail. She's a little shy of 2 weeks in. Here's her trail journal if anybody is interested in checking out her progress. www.trailjournals.com/Outlier

My girlfriend and I hiked a good bit of Slippery Rock Gorge this past weekend. Had some gorgeous weather. Anyone here have any recommendations for a solid, waterproof 2-person tent that won't break the bank?

My girlfriend's mom is currently in NC on her way through the Appalachian Trail. She's a little shy of 2 weeks in. Here's her trail journal if anybody is interested in checking out her progress. www.trailjournals.com/Outlier

My girlfriend and I hiked a good bit of Slippery Rock Gorge this past weekend. Had some gorgeous weather. Anyone here have any recommendations for a solid, waterproof 2-person tent that won't break the bank?

we just bought a brand new tent from REI, we had a ton of recommendations for the Marmot Tungsten 2P, $199, they have it set up at the REI at Settlers Ridge (I think on Southside, too) where we ended up buying it.  

http://www.rei.com/product/880104/marmot-tungsten-2p-tent?cm_mmc=cse_PLA-_-pla_multichannel-_-8801040001&mr:trackingCode=24697B74-159B-E411-A521-BC305BF82162&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla_multichannelonline&mr:ad=76470986920&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=70837220200&msid=2VFKxYKm_dc|pcrid|76470986920|

Im thinking about getting one of the new Big Agnes MtnGlo tents, but just a 1 person, but thats only cause i have access to a site where i can get 50% off a lot of outdoor brands and big agnes is on it. Otherwise id just get one of the REI passage or quarter domes.

Right now i have a Koppen single person but, while its light, i hate it cause theres very little head room.

Also, i know a few people who have the Kelty Salida that like it, http://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Salida-Backpacking-Person-Tent/dp/B004HRP1CY/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1412258087&sr=1-1&keywords=kelty+salida+2

I live in Estes Park. If you want to hike in Rocky Mountain National Park or go up Longs Peak, let me know. I've lived here my whole life and am super familiar with the area.

Sean I climbed Longs Peak a little bit last last weekend! I'm definitely wanting to! Do you have any recs on daypacks? I was looking at this Deuter - http://smile.amazon.com/Deuter-34244-33320-Futura-30/dp/B00CLJHBKK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0DNWPKR0JR5WMG9MQY21

But read elsewhere that a summer hiking bag is more around 22? I'm getting lost in the sizes for sure.

Sean I climbed Longs Peak a little bit last last weekend! I'm definitely wanting to! Do you have any recs on daypacks? I was looking at this Deuter - http://smile.amazon.com/Deuter-34244-33320-Futura-30/dp/B00CLJHBKK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0DNWPKR0JR5WMG9MQY21

But read elsewhere that a summer hiking bag is more around 22? I'm getting lost in the sizes for sure.

That's a pretty big pack. It depends on what you really plan on doing with it. Any overnight trips, you would want a bigger pack. Also around here there are crazy temperature swings, especially in the spring and fall. It will be sunny and 50 in Estes and snowing just a little higher up. I don't know how helpful this is, but I do like Deuter.

That's a pretty big pack. It depends on what you really plan on doing with it. Any overnight trips, you would want a bigger pack. Also around here there are crazy temperature swings, especially in the spring and fall. It will be sunny and 50 in Estes and snowing just a little higher up. I don't know how helpful this is, but I do like Deuter.

Aye. I'm looking to start climbing to some summits in early August. Nothing overnight just yet.

I am not a hiker, and currently not in shape.

I turn 30 on July 1st and wanted to do something big for it, so on June 26th I fly to Vegas.. will be getting a car and doing 5 National Parks in Utah (Zion, Arches, Canyonlands, Capital Reef, Bryce), as well as Lake Powell, Grand Canyon, Goblin Valley & Monument Valley.

Going to be quite the test for my first trip hiking.

I turn 30 on July 1st and wanted to do something big for it, so on June 26th I fly to Vegas.. will be getting a car and doing 5 National Parks in Utah (Zion, Arches, Canyonlands, Capital Reef, Bryce), as well as Lake Powell, Grand Canyon, Goblin Valley & Monument Valley.

Zion and Bryce are awesome, havent been to the other three.  Lake Powell and the Grand Canyon are pretty incredible as well!  more than anything, make sure you take tons of water/hydration. 

Had a bitchin last couple mails days in prep for my overnighter next weekend

Pats Backcountry soda/beer kit, super excited to use this to make some beers instead of lugging them in

10oz pack grill to use to grill some steaks, since were just doing a overnighter were going big and packing in frozen steaks instead of dealing w/ dehydrated meals for dinner

Sierra Designs Tensegrity Elite tent, so i have access to a "prolink" site that gives discounts to employees in the outdoor industry (i worked for a bike shop at the time i signed up), they have a ton of manufacturers and everythings like 50% off retail. I ordered a Sierra Designs Flashlight tent for my buddy and they sent me their new tensegrity tent which is like a pound lighter and retailers for $150 more. Emailed them and they said to just keep it, SCORE! This thing weighs under 2lbs, im wicked jealous.

11142350_461702467313033_2123159966_n.jp

Just watched that video, thanks for posting it.

Good for tips of what to bring on my first hiking trip

No problem, at least it helped someone. There are a ton of similar videos on youtube that i watched when i was getting into backpacking that helped a lot.

i will say i tend to over pack. there are definitely a few luxury items i could remove to save weight and i will when i do Yosemite this summer but since this is a short overnighter w/ my boys were gonna party a bit so im bringing the things like my solar speaker, beer maker, pack grill and stool. We are also each bringing a steak where i would normally just have a dehydrated meal.

For this trip i could also lose the bear can but i wanna get used to carrying it since you have to in Yosemite. im also gonna try and get a lighter tent by then.

as of now w/ food and alcohol im at like 32lbs so ill probably be 35 with water. Which is a lot better than my first trip i did in November and i was probably over 50lbs, i think i brought like 4L of water plus 1.5L of vodka.

nice man, have fun!

were slowly getting our gear together.  gotta get my sleeping bag still, for part of the trip were going to be camped out in one location, so we got our pads, tent, light, got a grill for cooking that I have to clean up... got my order in to work for bottles too.  

nice man, have fun!

were slowly getting our gear together. gotta get my sleeping bag still, for part of the trip were going to be camped out in one location, so we got our pads, tent, light, got a grill for cooking that I have to clean up... got my order in to work for bottles too.

thanks man, it's gonna be a blast.

When are you guys going in your trip? What are you using for a cook system besides the grill, jetboil?

thanks man, it's gonna be a blast.

When are you guys going in your trip? What are you using for a cook system besides the grill, jetboil?

June 28/9 - July 11'ish, we have a wedding we'd like to attend on the 12th, but driving from Wyoming to western PA isnt a short trip even though ive done hauls like that in the past.  we got our camp spot set in Glacier for 5 days, going to probably do another 2 days in the backwoods after that before heading down to Yellowstone/Teton for a couple of days.  

I hike pretty often out here in Oregon. We have some beautiful mountains. Here's a pic from the last mountain I climbed. It's the Tom, Dick, and Harry mountain. A smaller mountain off of Mt. Hood (pictured). 8-10mile hike up here but worth the view for sure.

6hGDwTz.jpg

I hike pretty often out here in Oregon. We have some beautiful mountains. Here's a pic from the last mountain I climbed. It's the Tom, Dick, and Harry mountain. A smaller mountain off of Mt. Hood (pictured). 8-10mile hike up here but worth the view for sure.

6hGDwTz.jpg

Looks awesome. I've been getting way more into hiking lately and have been looking for more spots in the area. I just went out to a trail by the dam a couple weekends ago and had a blast.

The other reply about hydration is spot on. It will likely be extremely hot and that type of heat isn't something you want to mess with. 

Zion has some unbelievable hikes, some of which aren't for those afraid of heights(me). Angels Landing is awesome - the last stretch has exposed dropoffs 1500+ feet straight down and chains to hold onto. That time of year though, you'll want to be up early before it gets even hotter in midday. Bryce might be a better bet for longer hikes. It's much higher in elevation and will be a ton cooler. 

joebraun_angelslanding01.jpg

The other reply about hydration is spot on. It will likely be extremely hot and that type of heat isn't something you want to mess with. 

Zion has some unbelievable hikes, some of which aren't for those afraid of heights(me). Angels Landing is awesome - the last stretch has exposed dropoffs 1500+ feet straight down and chains to hold onto. That time of year though, you'll want to be up early before it gets even hotter in midday. Bryce might be a better bet for longer hikes. It's much higher in elevation and will be a ton cooler. 

joebraun_angelslanding01.jpg

Oh man that is beautiful! Lots of good hiking and packing advice here. I didn't figure out how to pack light until I tried hauling 50 lbs of gear up the rocky mountains in bitter root national preserve in Montana. Pain is a teacher! and some older guy named jim who told me to google ultra light hiking.