Hiking

The other reply about hydration is spot on. It will likely be extremely hot and that type of heat isn't something you want to mess with.

Zion has some unbelievable hikes, some of which aren't for those afraid of heights(me). Angels Landing is awesome - the last stretch has exposed dropoffs 1500+ feet straight down and chains to hold onto. That time of year though, you'll want to be up early before it gets even hotter in midday. Bryce might be a better bet for longer hikes. It's much higher in elevation and will be a ton cooler.

joebraun_angelslanding01.jpg

Great image. When I was up there a woman was on the ground clutching the chains and crying in terror. My wife stopped at about that point. I moved past the crying lady and went up to the top. Best view in the park.

St. Helens has always been on my list of hikes I need to do. How tough was it?

It wasn't too bad, just long. It took us 8 hours total. First section through the forest, then the boulder scramble section, and finally the ash section. The top is like kitty litter and it's two steps forward and one step back as your foot slides down. I hear the winter is a better time to do it. The top is easier to manage in the snow, and you can ski/slide down. Also, it's easier to get a permit in the winter.

It wasn't too bad, just long. It took us 8 hours total. First section through the forest, then the boulder scramble section, and finally the ash section. The top is like kitty litter and it's two steps forward and one step back as your foot slides down. I hear the winter is a better time to do it. The top is easier to manage in the snow, and you can ski/slide down. Also, it's easier to get a permit in the winter.

Well this just convinced me to add it to my list...

Took a week off end of July but didn't know what I was going to do with it. Might try to do St. Helens for a day or two. Pretty excited about it now.

If you are talking about climbing Mt. St. Helens, you need a permit and it's likely July is already sold out. Check out the info here: http://mshinstitute.org/index.php/climbing/index

Otherwise, if you are just looking at doing some hikes around Mt. St. Helen's, there are plenty of great ones. Both Ape Cave and Ape Canyon are pretty great hikes too. Ape Cave is through a lava tube.

The book 60 Hikes Within 60 Miles of Portland has these hikes and more. 

If you are talking about climbing Mt. St. Helens, you need a permit and it's likely July is already sold out. Check out the info here: http://mshinstitute.org/index.php/climbing/index

Otherwise, if you are just looking at doing some hikes around Mt. St. Helen's, there are plenty of great ones. Both Ape Cave and Ape Canyon are pretty great hikes too. Ape Cave is through a lava tube.

The book 60 Hikes Within 60 Miles of Portland has these hikes and more. 

Nice! Thanks! :)