What video games have you been playing?

14 hours ago, FiggyPuddling said:

Just for the record I wasn't jumping down anyone's throat about anything.  I genuinely had no idea what he meant by what he said.  It just sounded kinda weird how he put it.

Nioh, Yakuza, and most other PlayStation exclusives are Japanese, am I right? Main problem I have with them is the mechanics and visuals. Most Japanese games have outdated mechanics. I guess I failed to specify that I don't care if it's developed by a Japanese company, I just don't like the mechanics of most of their games, and JRPGs aren't of any interest to me. I've considered checking out Bloodborne since it's cheap, but I've heard so many DS comparisons that it turns me away. 

I ended up getting a few games for it yesterday:

Uncharted collection

The Last of Us Remastered

Killzone: Shadow Fall

Ratcheg & Clank

and I'm preordering Horizon Zero Dawn because that shit looks incredible. 

6 hours ago, throughbeingcruel said:

Nioh, Yakuza, and most other PlayStation exclusives are Japanese, am I right? Main problem I have with them is the mechanics and visuals. Most Japanese games have outdated mechanics. I guess I failed to specify that I don't care if it's developed by a Japanese company, I just don't like the mechanics of most of their games, and JRPGs aren't of any interest to me. I've considered checking out Bloodborne since it's cheap, but I've heard so many DS comparisons that it turns me away. 

I ended up getting a few games for it yesterday:

Uncharted collection

The Last of Us Remastered

Killzone: Shadow Fall

Ratcheg & Clank

and I'm preordering Horizon Zero Dawn because that shit looks incredible. 

Yeah it does!

Nioh/Bloodborn get the DS comparisons fittingly. Gameplay-wise they're very similar; I don't know that I'd call them outdated though.

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Yeah it does!

Nioh/Bloodborn get the DS comparisons fittingly. Gameplay-wise they're very similar; I don't know that I'd call them outdated though.

I'm not saying it's outdated. I just mean most of the JRPGs look like they haven't changed since the 90s in terms of mechanics. Visually they all look great, but I didn't even have a 1080p TV, until Christmas when I got a 4K haha. Dark Souls was just so fucking hard that I didn't get any enjoyment from it. 

For real though, Horizon looks fucking sick. Like I mentioned before, I bought a PS4 solely for the exclusives, so I'm hyped to have a great one coming out so soon after getting the system. Pretty much every game I want is $20 or less, so that's a big plus. Only ones that aren't are Uncharted 4 and Kingdom Hearts 2.8, but I may get 1.5/2.5 instead. Those are the only JRPGs I like. 

How bout that Crash Bandicoot remake though?

20 hours ago, Bronchitis said:

I am playing Nioh as well and absolutely love it. I'm hoping I can find the time to get through it before Zelda.

It's constantly surprising me how great it is. Considering how many times I've been burned by "Souls-likes"... Ni-Oh actually treats Dark Souls like a genre and made their OWN game in the genre. instead of being like Bound By Flame or others that just made a shittier version of a knock off Dark Souls.

I'm at the Ice Queen boss, dunno her name cuz everything's all "Japanesey" but, I've hit a couple walls, gotten some good gear... really excited to keep playing through the rest of the game (which there is still a ton to go). And I hear NG+ is good too!

Additionally, I hope you're not doing any of that Sloth talisman BS. I can't wait for that to get nerfed so I can stop seeing jagoffs post highlight Speed runs where they just spam Sloth talisman as if they're impressing anyone.

Edited by rooks

13 hours ago, FiggyPuddling said:

Tried that with both the first Dark Souls and Bloodborne.  But it wouldn't hurt to try again I guess.  I wish they all didn't look so good... same with Nioh haha.

Bloodborne has the hardest beginning of any of the "Souls" games by far. Dark Souls 3's start isn't too bad and it's more fluid like bloodborne's controls. 

32 minutes ago, museummouth said:

Bloodborne has the hardest beginning of any of the "Souls" games by far. Dark Souls 3's start isn't too bad and it's more fluid like bloodborne's controls. 

I decided to give Bloodborne a shot and it's pretty fuckin' tough. My main draw to that over DS is the gothic aesthetic. It just looks so damn cool. 

13 minutes ago, throughbeingcruel said:

I decided to give Bloodborne a shot and it's pretty fuckin' tough. My main draw to that over DS is the gothic aesthetic. It just looks so damn cool. 

Yeah Bloodborne has my favorite atmosphere of all of them. Dark Souls 3 feels a lot like Bloodborne in controls and also atmosphere, while Demon Souls, Dark Souls 1 and 2 were more fantasy, Dark Souls 3 trends into gothic a lot.

12 minutes ago, museummouth said:

Yeah Bloodborne has my favorite atmosphere of all of them. Dark Souls 3 feels a lot like Bloodborne in controls and also atmosphere, while Demon Souls, Dark Souls 1 and 2 were more fantasy, Dark Souls 3 trends into gothic a lot.

Nice, I may check out 3 eventually. I'm still getting used to the controls so I'm clumsily treading through it. 

Also, Uncharted 4 is pretty cheap on Amazon right now. It was like 50 cents cheaper when I ordered a couple days ago, but $29 is fucking cheap. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00GODZYNA/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487432461&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=uncharted+4&dpPl=1&dpID=51tH5QnqVzL&ref=plSrch

Beat Ni-Oh on Saturday. Fun game. Story made 0 sense to me, but I wasn't really playing for the story anyway so no love lost. Grinding divine level gear and fighting revenants and some NG+ now but I'm less into it than I was main-game. maybe I'll pick up a different weapon type for NG+ and get some spice back.

PO'd Horizon Zero Dawn in the meantime. No review embargo and 77 reviews in on Metacritic it's holding at an 88 score. So.. good signs all around.

On 2/21/2017 at 3:52 PM, rooks said:

Beat Ni-Oh on Saturday. Fun game. Story made 0 sense to me, but I wasn't really playing for the story anyway so no love lost. Grinding divine level gear and fighting revenants and some NG+ now but I'm less into it than I was main-game. maybe I'll pick up a different weapon type for NG+ and get some spice back.

PO'd Horizon Zero Dawn in the meantime. No review embargo and 77 reviews in on Metacritic it's holding at an 88 score. So.. good signs all around.

Horizon will be so awesome. I think I may go pay off my PO later today.