What video games have you been playing?

10 minutes ago, No This Is Patrick said:

True. I don't know... I can see both sides. Gaming is in a different place nowadays.

A point I saw someone make, most games have maybe 20 hour averages for a casually-paced playthrough (do main missions at an average pace, do a few but not all side missions, etc).

They're asking that you grind 40 hours for core characters.  Each.  OR you can just skip the grind and pay... it's clearly geared towards making people pay.

That sort of set up is fine, when the game is free or cheap to start with (mobile games).

The main issue, in my opinion, is the insanely long grind-time. But, not just because it takes awhile.

Their "big turnaround" from the first game (and the focus of a lot of their PR) has been FREE DLC!! Free Heroes and Maps!!

That's TECHNICALLY true, but in practice what it means is when new heroes are released, and they cost 80k credits each, and it takes 40-60 GAMEPLAY hours to accrue that many credits (to unlock ONE of say 5 new characters) -- rather than devote themselves to the hundreds of hours of grind in order to even have the chance to PLAY as all the FREE heroes, the vast majority will pay real world $ to buy crates (remember, you can't buy heroes with $ they've been very clear about that), the crates give duplicates and credits which you then use to buy the heroes. So you're spending "credits" or "crystals" instead of "dollars".

It's just disingenuous. And everyone is up in arms about the heroes, but it's not just the heroes. The loot boxes were the main way to get the "high level star cards" previously - those cards give noticeable stat bonuses in multiplayer (pay2win). In order to fix that, they removed the highest level star cards from loot boxes. BUT, you can craft them. What do you need to craft them? Credits, and other things you can get from the loot boxes.

As for the heroes, I'm an adult and can make a choice and pick a hero I want to play as and grind to it and unlock it and deal. But, let's not forget games are for kids, too, and locking characters behind paywalls is kind of predatory. The amount of $ that will be spent on boxes so that little Timmy  can be both Darth Vader AND Luke whenever he wants... you get the idea.

Putting things that affect gameplay (characters) OR give stat advantages (star cards) 1 layer behind monetary purchases (you buy credits and crystals! not heroes and star cards!) is just bullshit. Purchasable loot boxes should be COSMETIC only, and if DLC is going to cost money to play in a reasonable time frame anyway, just charge $20 for it like every other developer.

Everyone uses Overwatch as an example, and in this case it's a good one. I can pay $ if I want to dress my character up in a new outfit. But I don't need to pay money to play as Tracer or Reaper. Or more accurately, since Heroes in BFII act almost like Ultimates in OW - I don't need to pay $ to unlock Tracer's bomb or Reaper's Die,Die,Die.

47 minutes ago, daegor said:

A point I saw someone make, most games have maybe 20 hour averages for a casually-paced playthrough (do main missions at an average pace, do a few but not all side missions, etc).

They're asking that you grind 40 hours for core characters.  Each.  OR you can just skip the grind and pay... it's clearly geared towards making people pay.

That sort of set up is fine, when the game is free or cheap to start with (mobile games).

Multiplayer will be the main drive for this game... although they did add a single player campaign, I think that was only 10 hours if I recall? Plus there is the arcade mode... so, I'm not sure if it's 40 hours through multiplayer only, or 40 hours playing the game. That is still quite a bit of time... but there are other grindy games people continuously play. The problem I think most people have is how much time they have to play.

And I totally understand that, they are giving away the DLC for free this time around so they obviously have to try and make money off that somehow. I did see a comment saying it should've been the secondary characters instead of main.

For the record, I'm not trying to defend EA or anything, I do think they've made some poor decisions, in fact I'm really concerned for the upcoming solo Star Wars game now since that's supposedly going to become micro-transaction fueled.

Edited by No This Is Patrick

3 hours ago, No This Is Patrick said:

The problem I think most people have is how much time they have to play.

you're definitely on track there. someone in some article worked it out that at the rate you earn credits and the time it takes to unlock a hero, it's equivalent to working a job for less than minimum wage. 

• Average Galactic Assault Match Length: 11:09
  • Average Credits per Match: 275
  • Average Credits per Minute of Gameplay: 25.04
  • Gameplay Minutes Required to Earn a Trooper Crate (4000): 159.73
  • Gameplay Minutes Required to Unlock One Hero: 2,395.97

40 hours to unlock 1 hero, OR pay $260 and get enough credits in the loot boxes to buy it in 60 seconds.

:\

Edited by rooks

1 hour ago, dantheriver said:

Speak for yourself, I still haven’t gotten that troll shotgun that blasts people off the edge of crucible maps. 

That's just shit RNG though.  And I'm in the same boat; still missing a few random Exotics – some of which I really have no desire to get – but the grind to max level was breezy.

Just now, Derek™ said:

That's just shit RNG though.  And I'm in the same boat; still missing a few random Exotics – some of which I really have no desire to get – but the grind to max level was breezy.

I’ve pretty much stopped playing unless a few buddies want to run trials and even then I’m really just getting on for the party chat laughs. Today’s expansion content reveal didn’t excite me at all. RIP D2

4 minutes ago, dantheriver said:

I’ve pretty much stopped playing unless a few buddies want to run trials and even then I’m really just getting on for the party chat laughs. Today’s expansion content reveal didn’t excite me at all. RIP D2

It'll be enough to draw me back for a bit but I'm sort of underwhelmed that the new "raid" content is just a brand new (but shorter) expansion to Leviathan.  New bosses and encounters are cool, but they're clearly going to do the same thing for Expansion II, and I think I'll be pretty sick of the gold and purple aesthetic of everything by then.  They weren't all winners, but at least D1 raids were complete changes of scenery after forking over the $30 or whatever they cost.

All the Mario Odyssey hype eventually got to me. Bought a Nintendo Switch + Mario Odyssey over the weekend. I'm up to about 450 moons. Damn it's fun... Not sure what to play when I'm finished though... I already finished BOTW on WiiU, so I'm not double dipping for the Switch version.

19 minutes ago, batman said:

All the Mario Odyssey hype eventually got to me. Bought a Nintendo Switch + Mario Odyssey over the weekend. I'm up to about 450 moons. Damn it's fun... Not sure what to play when I'm finished though... I already finished BOTW on WiiU, so I'm not double dipping for the Switch version.

You've probably already played Skyrim and Doom, but if not they might be worth it. Bomberman is going to be $25 for black friday.

People really seem to be digging Golf Story, and Xenogear Chronicles 2 comes out relatively soon I think.

Edit: I heard some good chatter about Mario vs Rabbids too.

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage

16 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

You've probably already played Skyrim and Doom, but if not they might be worth it. Bomberman is going to be $25 for black friday.

People really seem to be digging Golf Story, and Xenogear Chronicles 2 comes out relatively soon I think.

Edit: I heard some good chatter about Mario vs Rabbids too.

I actually have not played Skyrim. Loved Doom. I also picked up The Binding of Isaac based on a friend's rec, but I haven't started it yet. 

9 hours ago, batman said:

I actually have not played Skyrim. Loved Doom. I also picked up The Binding of Isaac based on a friend's rec, but I haven't started it yet. 

Binding of Isaac is super fun! I had it on PS4 for free, so I never picked it up for switch, but I also have never played Skyrim, so I'm looking forward to Friday a whole heck of a lot :)

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage

• 2 weeks later...

Been having a bunch of fun with Skyrim lately (way late to that game, I know) and super ready to weeb the fuck out on some Xenoblade Chronicles 2 this weekend. Pretty stoked to see Crawl getting a Switch release soon too. I told my coworkers I'd bring it in to work when we have a slow day so we can play some.

21 minutes ago, throughbeingcruel said:

Has anyone played Battlefront 2 yet? I don’t give a shit about multiplayer or micro transactions, just wanna play the campaign if it’s good. Best Buy has it on sale this week. 

Just wait a few weeks and pick it up used. That way you're not supporting EA's shitty business practices and you still get to play it.

3 hours ago, throughbeingcruel said:

Has anyone played Battlefront 2 yet? I don’t give a shit about multiplayer or micro transactions, just wanna play the campaign if it’s good. Best Buy has it on sale this week. 

Average length, I was a little bummed about the direction it went, but overall I enjoyed it! And it sounds like they're adding on to it with more (free) campaign missions available on the 13th.

What's the price tag from Best Buy?

11 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Just wait a few weeks and pick it up used. That way you're not supporting EA's shitty business practices and you still get to play it.

Yeah EA sucks, but if I fandangle it my way, it’ll cost me barely anything. 

7 hours ago, No This Is Patrick said:

Average length, I was a little bummed about the direction it went, but overall I enjoyed it! And it sounds like they're adding on to it with more (free) campaign missions available on the 13th.

What's the price tag from Best Buy?

There’s a buy one get one 50% off deal going on all the newer releases (Star Wars, Middle Earth, South Park). With GCU and that deal stacked, a copy of BF2 and AC: Origins would be $72 total before tax. I already have all the latest releases besides those two. I don’t expect much from BF2 but I can run through the campaign and trade it in for $30 at GameStop if I do it before the 17th. 

Edited by throughbeingcruel

The campaign is barely worth 5 bucks, imo (BF2). The multiplayer is good except for the lag, horrific progression system, pay2win, and huge number of AFKers in every single match just farming credits.

I own the game and it's a strong Do Not Buy til something (anything) gets sufficiently fixed.