What video games have you been playing?

On 2/20/2019 at 5:35 PM, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

FFIII and FFVIII are my nostalgia Final Fantasies, I don't think I ever finished VII, so I'll be playing it fully through on Switch release. I think I still have ps1 copies of VII, VIII, and IX laying around somewhere.

Like you, I grabbed IX for the switch immediately but I'm holding off on getting into it until I finally finish off DK Tropical Freeze. I only have a few levels left in the last world.

VIII is my favorite by far. Never got into IX, despite trying a few times.

15 minutes ago, Bronchitis said:

I have never played VIII but will have to give a try. I honestly haven’t heard many good things about it and just assume people are blowing it out of proportion.

It's pretty awesome. The summon animations are really long, but the card game they build into it is fun.

I don't think I could pick a favorite between them all. FFVII is probably the most important for me because it's the first JRPG that I'd played (not counting Super Mario RPG or Pokémon). I love IV and VI w/ the old sprite animation. Vivi from IX is one of my favorite FF characters and that subplot is sooo good...

VIII is really solid but it’s probably the most grounded.  From the sprites to the art style, you can tell they were taking a very different “fantasy” angle than your traditional mages, orcs, dragons, etc.  Haven’t played it in a couple of decades – goddamn I’m old – but I recall my biggest qualm being the way stats, magic, and leveling were set up.  Still worth experiencing and playing through.

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

VIII is really solid but it’s probably the most grounded.  From the sprites to the art style, you can tell they were taking a very different “fantasy” angle than your traditional mages, orcs, dragons, etc.  Haven’t played it in a couple of decades – goddamn I’m old – but I recall my biggest qualm being the way stats, magic, and leveling were set up.  Still worth experiencing and playing through.

I thought the junction system was interesting, but the learning curve was quite steep. I remember not really grasping it all that well on my first playthrough and then having a much easier time on my second. I honestly don't know how I cleared the game on my first playthrough. That last disc was roughhhh after barely scraping by the last boss on Disc 3. I'll never forget, phoenix pinion saved my ass on the final boss--I was yelling at the TV. Parents were not happy. Goddamn I'm old too.

On 2/21/2019 at 8:09 PM, Bronchitis said:

I have never played VIII but will have to give a try. I honestly haven’t heard many good things about it and just assume people are blowing it out of proportion.

I can see why some people don't like it. Story is solid, but gameplay and such is different,

On 2/21/2019 at 8:25 PM, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

It's pretty awesome. The summon animations are really long, but the card game they build into it is fun.

Ugh, the card game pissed me off for some reason. Didn't make it much further than that.

10 hours ago, Derek™ said:

It was strange. The enemies and bosses levels were based on your levels. You could run through the game and beat it pretty east still. If you maxed out your levels, the end boss was fucking insane.

Now I want to get a PSX/PS2 and replay it. I really regret selling my PS2.

Also, one more achievement and I'm done with Apex Legends. Just need to win a game with Bangalore to get a win with all 8 legends. The game has been really annoying lately.  Once I'm not broke anymore, I'll grab RE2 and KH3. 

7 hours ago, Reshiram said:

Is the DLC for Spiderman worth the 25 dollar price tag? I beat that game and got the platinum in like a week, and I want more, but 25 feels really steep.

A buddy of mine who platted it immediately told me not to bother with it if I had another game to move onto. He basically said it’s more of the same. 

8 hours ago, Reshiram said:

Is the DLC for Spiderman worth the 25 dollar price tag? I beat that game and got the platinum in like a week, and I want more, but 25 feels really steep.

I bought the first DLC story add on they released (part 1 of 4 I think?  I don’t remember how many they’ve released), and it was okay.  Doesn’t add to the main story at all.  Coolest parts were the extra costumes you get but even then you gotta play through each DLC to actually unlock them all.

5 hours ago, Reshiram said:

Anyone hyped for Pokémon Sword and Shield? As of now, I'm picking Sobble as my starter, i just need to buy a switch now, lol.

I'm...reasonably hyped. Haven't played anything since Diamond/Pearl. Sobble is my starter of choice from the group too. I'm usually a fire guy, but that bunny is nothing I'm interested in.

6 hours ago, Reshiram said:

Anyone hyped for Pokémon Sword and Shield? As of now, I'm picking Sobble as my starter, i just need to buy a switch now, lol.

I've bought pretty much every mainline game since gen 1 but haven't really thoroughly enjoyed one since Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. Really hoping for these ones to change my mind. I would however kill for a Pokemon Stadium 3. Really interested to see what other Pokemon games they have in development. Honestly more excited for those.

Edited by dapeebs

Recently bought a 2DS XL before they cease production (gonna be sooner than later) and decided I’m gonna collect every Pokemon and LoZ game. So far I have every (playable on 3DS) Pokémon game except SoulSilver, Sun, Moon, Ultra Sun, White, and Black. HeartGold and SoulSilver cost as much as a brand new fucking game. Shits wild. 

1 hour ago, throughbeingcruel said:

Recently bought a 2DS XL before they cease production (gonna be sooner than later) and decided I’m gonna collect every Pokemon and LoZ game. So far I have every (playable on 3DS) Pokémon game except SoulSilver, Sun, Moon, Ultra Sun, White, and Black. HeartGold and SoulSilver cost as much as a brand new fucking game. Shits wild. 

If it makes taking the plunge on HG/SS easier, I'm a firm believer (like most of the internet) that those are the best in the series. I put over 100 hours into my copy of HeartGold. So I'd say even at its going rate, you get more than your money's worth.

EDIT: Just realized it looks like you already have HeartGold so you already know how good it is.

Edited by The Saint

1 hour ago, The Saint said:

If it makes taking the plunge on HG/SS easier, I'm a firm believer (like most of the internet) that those are the best in the series. I put over 100 hours into my copy of HeartGold. So I'd say even at its going rate, you get more than your money's worth.

EDIT: Just realized it looks like you already have HeartGold so you already know how good it is.

I mean yeah, it’s one of the better ones but it’s still a kicker to pay $57 for a Nintendo DS cartridge without a case or manual. Thought about buying a repro case/manual from eBay for the shelf since I keep all my games in a travel case in my backpack.

Gamestop is doing a B2G1 on DS games right now so I considered filling out the last of what I need from that system. 

I'm playing White2 for the first time in hype of the new games, I'm really enjoying it. I need Sword and Shield to be this hard, the easiness of the 3DS games was ridiculous, I hope we get a difficulty select or something. I know in White2 & Black2 if you beat one, you got an unlock for a challenge mode for the other, I'd gladly take that again.