What video games have you been playing?

I played Alan Wake quite a while back and remembered liking it...but that it felt like kind of a slog toward the end.

Working through Ghost of Tsushima still. Probably gonna finish up the  Iki Island DLC pretty soon and head back to Tsushima proper to finish off the game. Very fun still at 62 hours in.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Bronchitis said:

Anyone playing that new Pokemon game? I started last night but ended up turning it off after realizing the tutorial section is long as hell and I wouldn’t have the time to get too far. Like most reviews have said, it seems promising outside of the visual presentation. 

I haven't played it but I have a couple friends playing it that are enjoying it. I personally think it's one of the worst looking games for modern times and I think that's because the Switch can't handle much more than it's generating with an open map and hundreds of random pokemon popping in and out. My wife is super into Animal Crossing and the Switch can't handle her island if it gets super developed with lots of items and custom content. I've seen Arceus lag in a couple video reviews and I'm really not interested in a game that both looks and performs like garbage. That's the sacrifice for gaming on the go I suppose.

15 minutes ago, N8TRU said:

I haven't played it but I have a couple friends playing it that are enjoying it. I personally think it's one of the worst looking games for modern times and I think that's because the Switch can't handle much more than it's generating with an open map and hundreds of random pokemon popping in and out. My wife is super into Animal Crossing and the Switch can't handle her island if it gets super developed with lots of items and custom content. I've seen Arceus lag in a couple video reviews and I'm really not interested in a game that both looks and performs like garbage. That's the sacrifice for gaming on the go I suppose.

That’s understandable. I’m not too critical of graphics most of the time, but this game does genuinely look like a Gamecube game with even worse framerate. I’m replaying Breath of the Wild on Switch right now and it’s weird to think that a five year old Wii U game looks better than a Pokemon game from a company that has nearly endless money and resources. 

I fortunately have a job with a decent amount of downtime occasionally and the Switch is my only real chance to play games. I have a five month old at home and do all of the cooking, so don’t really have too much time to use my PC or Playstation. One day I’ll get around to the million games I have on Steam and be amazed by the higher fidelity after playing Switch exclusively for so long.

That’s understandable. I’m not too critical of graphics most of the time, but this game does genuinely look like a Gamecube game with even worse framerate. I’m replaying Breath of the Wild on Switch right now and it’s weird to think that a five year old Wii U game looks better than a Pokemon game from a company that has nearly endless money and resources. 

I fortunately have a job with a decent amount of downtime occasionally and the Switch is my only real chance to play games. I have a five month old at home and do all of the cooking, so don’t really have too much time to use my PC or Playstation. One day I’ll get around to the million games I have on Steam and be amazed by the higher fidelity after playing Switch exclusively for so long.

I think Pokemon is literally the highest earning IP in any form of media shit is wild they don't have top tier everything.

9 minutes ago, Shlebs said:

I think Pokemon is literally the highest earning IP in any form of media shit is wild they don't have top tier everything.

I thought the same for both mentions. I got Pokemon Snap when it came out and I think it looks awesome, especially in comparison. That was my first N64 game and I love both the original and remake. It's definitely not for everyone and I can see some people finding it boring but I had a lot of fun with it. As for the other main Pokemon games I didn't play Diamond/Pearl or Sword/Shield. My assumption is they're pretty time consuming like most Pokemon games but Snap and Let's Go aren't.

24 minutes ago, Shlebs said:

Yep. It’s fucking ridiculous at this point. My brother was addicted to Sword/Shield for a while and I couldn’t understand why anyone would keep playing them after the formula was perfected with Gold/Silver 20 years ago. I’m gonna jump into Arceus soon and try to enjoy things being switched up at least. 

11 minutes ago, N8TRU said:

I thought the same for both mentions. I got Pokemon Snap when it came out and I think it looks awesome, especially in comparison. That was my first N64 game and I love both the original and remake. It's definitely not for everyone and I can see some people finding it boring but I had a lot of fun with it. As for the other main Pokemon games I didn't play Diamond/Pearl or Sword/Shield. My assumption is they're pretty time consuming like most Pokemon games but Snap and Let's Go aren't.

I loved Snap as a kid so much and have a lot of fond memories playing it with my mom. I am a sucker for more weird and niche games like that. I need to pick up the new one at some point soon. Maybe after I get done with Elden Ring in 5 months lol

I wouldn’t necessarily call Diamond/Pearl and Sword/Shield time consuming unless you are one of those people who gotta catch ‘em all. The only time I have done that was when a finals week hit and I procrastinated harder than I ever have. So much Pokemon in such a short span of time. 

8 minutes ago, Bronchitis said:

Yep. It’s fucking ridiculous at this point. My brother was addicted to Sword/Shield for a while and I couldn’t understand why anyone would keep playing them after the formula was perfected with Gold/Silver 20 years ago. I’m gonna jump into Arceus soon and try to enjoy things being switched up at least. 

I loved Snap as a kid so much and have a lot of fond memories playing it with my mom. I am a sucker for more weird and niche games like that. I need to pick up the new one at some point soon. Maybe after I get done with Elden Ring in 5 months lol

I wouldn’t necessarily call Diamond/Pearl and Sword/Shield time consuming unless you are one of those people who gotta catch ‘em all. The only time I have done that was when a finals week hit and I procrastinated harder than I ever have. So much Pokemon in such a short span of time. 

I'm addicted to Sword/Shield because of competitive, the game could just be a big open plain with no story and a bunch of pokemon standing there waiting to be caught for online battles and I'd max out the game clock lmao.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

Anyone playing Pokémon Shing Pearl/Brilliant Diamond? I'm doing pearl and need a couple diamond exclusives traded to me so I can start shiny hunting.

I have Pearl because I figured everyone would have Diamond. I shiny hunted the starter, got pretty lucky, and haven't played since I found it 😅

2 hours ago, Why not Shelby said:

I have Pearl because I figured everyone would have Diamond. I shiny hunted the starter, got pretty lucky, and haven't played since I found it 😅

I went Diamond when I played it on DS, so I went Pearl this time. 😕

22 minutes ago, Bronchitis said:

And anyone playing Elden Ring when it releases this week? Just tossed some extra RAM into my PC and am ready to go. I don’t think I have been this excited for a game since Persona 5 or Breath of the Wild. 

I'll be on it first thing Friday for sure.  It's by far the most excited I've been for a game for ages.

18 minutes ago, iwokeinrelief said:

I'll be on it first thing Friday for sure.  It's by far the most excited I've been for a game for ages.

I’m really glad it drops Thursday afternoon on PC and I’m off work about an hour after it becomes playable. I don’t work on Friday so will probably stay up pretty late playing. As long as my kid sleeps through the night at least 🤞🏻

31 minutes ago, Bronchitis said:

I’m really glad it drops Thursday afternoon on PC and I’m off work about an hour after it becomes playable. I don’t work on Friday so will probably stay up pretty late playing. As long as my kid sleeps through the night at least 🤞🏻

lol, good luck with that - I’m a few years past having to really worry about my kids sleeping through the night.

I’m playing on PS5 so it’ll be like 11PM before it goes live for me. I’m work from home through the end of April (at the earliest) though so I’m not in any rush, I’ll have of lots of time to play during the days.

Are the exclusives in Diamond considered a lot better or something? 

And anyone playing Elden Ring when it releases this week? Just tossed some extra RAM into my PC and am ready to go. I don’t think I have been this excited for a game since Persona 5 or Breath of the Wild. 

I actually prefer a bunch of the exclusives in Diamond, main one for me being Growlith, but I'm trying to complete my "caught" pokedex to get the shiny charm and do some shiny breeding. Turns out I have all the exclusives I need now and just need a couple harder to find ones like heracross and munchlax.

26 minutes ago, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

I actually prefer a bunch of the exclusives in Diamond, main one for me being Growlith, but I'm trying to complete my "caught" pokedex to get the shiny charm and do some shiny breeding. Turns out I have all the exclusives I need now and just need a couple harder to find ones like heracross and munchlax.

I just took a look and Diamond having Tyranitar sold me. I need to get around to playing that one of these days.