What video games have you been playing?

On 7/3/2018 at 11:03 AM, museummouth said:

Speaking of the Souls games, I just finished DS1 remastered (at least one play through of it). Never played much of DS2 but I started the remastered one and wow it’s not very good. It just doesn’t feel right it’s hard to explain. 

Haha, you're not wrong - 2 feels very different. At least you didn't have to play it at launch, it was even worse then.

I actually enjoy DS2 a lot these days (the remastered/remixed version).  It's the easiest of the Soulsborne games imo by a good margin. It also shines late game as it has the BEST weapon variation in the entire expanded series. Different weapons in each hand, unique movesets when two handing or power-wielding... 2 has the best nuanced weapon/moveset variation in the series.

It's actually a lot of fun especially late game when you can shore up a good collection of wacky weapons and because it's so easy you can play with dumb combos and use the unique movesets. I have had a lot of fun in 2 being a flippy boi or doing whirlwind spins.   Especially compared to say, DS3 which had weapon arts... I think in all my playthroughs I've used a weapon art... actually in battle, on purpose, naturally... like... 3 times.

I still think it's worth playing, and I used to be one of it's biggest critics. It's a lot of fun if you let it be.

57 minutes ago, museummouth said:

Yeah it’s definitely pretty easy so far. I’m doing a pure caster and I melt most enemies in 2 shots and I already have a reserve of over 100 spells per rest. The level design is just what’s the weirdest.

Ahhh I never do magic so I don't know what's ahead for you. I tend to do weird dex builds or pure str so i can dual-wield dumb stuff.

The level design is by FAR the worst in any of the games. Also, the main game is hella easy but the DLC is some of the most challenging shit in the expanded series - and the level-design is much better, though still not close to DS1.

Dark Souls 2 is wack.

Edited by rooks

Red Faction: Guerilla Remarstered and Ittle Dew 2 have been keeping me busy. Thought about getting Ys VIII but  my backlog is getting obscene.

Any opinion on if Dark Souls remastered is a solid improvement? I have the OG on Xbox, backward compatible, but would prefer better resolution and to play it on my PS4. 

Also, I agree on the DS2 hate. Been playing it on PS Now and it’s pretty bad. Nowhere close to as good as Bloodborne/DS3. 

32 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

I could say the same to you. Combat is fun, and the game is gorgeous once you're in the open world. Story is a bit slow and lacking.

The open world was the blandest, least inspired thing about the whole game, imo :\ its fine to disagree and I'm glad people got enjoyment out of it, but, in my experience it was all the same color, with random groupings of the same enemies everywhere.

The combat was so boring to me... You can Dodge every attack and I beat 2x playthroughs of the game without ever using the chip upgrade system which was so opaque I just never bothered (and never needed to). 

I guess it was alright enough to play twice through but, that was mostly me waiting for it to get good :(

15 hours ago, rooks said:

The open world was the blandest, least inspired thing about the whole game, imo :\ its fine to disagree and I'm glad people got enjoyment out of it, but, in my experience it was all the same color, with random groupings of the same enemies everywhere.

The combat was so boring to me... You can Dodge every attack and I beat 2x playthroughs of the game without ever using the chip upgrade system which was so opaque I just never bothered (and never needed to). 

I guess it was alright enough to play twice through but, that was mostly me waiting for it to get good :(

I agree with most of what you said, but I still enjoyed the game. Combat is great, but the world is all gray and the upgrade system could’ve been explained much better.

All that being said, it’s probably the best action game on Xbox right now. Poor fellas. 

On 7/10/2018 at 5:40 PM, Thomas³ said:

I could say the same to you. Combat is fun, and the game is gorgeous once you're in the open world. Story is a bit slow and lacking.

On 7/10/2018 at 6:15 PM, rooks said:

I loved Automata. The final endings were some of the most emotional video game moments I’ve experienced. Went back and played the original Nier and loved that one too. 

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been going back and forth between Resident Evil 7 and Doom on PS4.

Also picking up We Happy Few on Friday if the reviews are decent. It’s only a $40 preorder if you’re a Best Buy GCU member, so I preordered in case it’s as good as it looks. Long development cycle and gameplay switch up made me

skeptical. 

Edited by throughbeingcruel

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, throughbeingcruel said:

Just started the first one. Never played em but I’m very excited to finally get the chance. Looks really good for being almost 20 years old. 

I beat the first one 3 or 4 times, love it! Never got past the book moving part in the second. Excited to. Hopefully 3 concludes the story. He originally wanted it to be 16 games!

Worst dub ever, which makes it great. The audio is so compressed it hurts. I don't remember it being like that on the Dreamcast, but it been  a long time.

Edited by Thomas³