What video games have you been playing?

Out of curiosity, how many hours have you guys put into DS / what's your highest level? Anybody go passed the dry cap of 250, where you're spending a quarter million on a level? 

Stoked to get high enough to 40/40 my strength build, and then later use my exile GS for heavy fun. Need to be able carry more weight effectively first though. 

Edited by Dave Grohl

6 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

Out of curiosity, how many hours have you guys put into DS / what's your highest level? Anybody go passed the dry cap of 250, where you're spending a quarter million on a level? 

Stoked to get high enough to 40/40 my strength build, and then later use my exile GS for heavy fun. Need to be able carry more weight effectively first though. 

i usually don't go much higher than like 120 or so to stay in the PVP range and that's after going through several NG cycles. you're killing the difficulty of the game if you go above like 85-90 or so before the final boss. DS3 is nice because it gives an easy mechanism for respec-ing. i actually looked at my DS1 files and I spent 102 hours on my main (platinum) character, and i think i went all the way through NG+4. and another 31 hours played on my SL1 character. DS2 SOTFS, i think i spent about 120-130 hours on my main character--haven't played it again. and DS3, i've spent around 150 hours or so on my main character and my SL1 run.

5 minutes ago, batman said:

i usually don't go much higher than like 120 or so to stay in the PVP range and that's after going through several NG cycles. you're killing the difficulty of the game if you go above like 85-90 or so before the final boss. DS3 is nice because it gives an easy mechanism for respec-ing. i actually looked at my DS1 files and I spent 102 hours on my main (platinum) character, and i think i went all the way through NG+4. and another 31 hours played on my SL1 character. DS2 SOTFS, i think i spent about 120-130 hours on my main character--haven't played it again. and DS3, i've spent around 150 hours or so on my main character and my SL1 run.

3 minutes ago, rooks said:

Yeah, same as Batman. Pretty much never above 120 if I ever let it get that high. Ds2 and 3 have such easy reclassing, you can make any build with 120 SL for variety.

Awesome. I read 120 was about the most you should go to keep it from turning into God mode.

I just lit the third bonfire at about 37 hours. Rolling right along... even though I have nothing to compare this to since this is my first character. Haha.

1 minute ago, Dave Grohl said:

Awesome. I read 120 was about the most you should go to keep it from turning into God mode.

I just lit the third bonfire at about 37 hours. Rolling right along... even though I have nothing to compare this to since this is my first character. Haha.

Wouldnt worry too much about playtime. I'm always sad when it's over, no matter how long it took.

2 minutes ago, rooks said:

Wouldnt worry too much about playtime. I'm always sad when it's over, no matter how long it took.

Yeah, I'm not trying to speed run it, but more so just get an idea of how the longevity of the game.

I am sort of confused on being invaded though. It just happened for the first time, where it had the warning, but the dude never showed up. I know they are glowing red, but I never saw him. I didn't die or anything. (It was Heysel, but I doubt who really makes a difference). How often am I supposed to get invaded in a play through? Most of the online mechanics are new to me, cause I only played Demon Souls (offline) years ago.

19 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

Yeah, I'm not trying to speed run it, but more so just get an idea of how the longevity of the game.

I am sort of confused on being invaded though. It just happened for the first time, where it had the warning, but the dude never showed up. I know they are glowing red, but I never saw him. I didn't die or anything. (It was Heysel, but I doubt who really makes a difference). How often am I supposed to get invaded in a play through? Most of the online mechanics are new to me, cause I only played Demon Souls (offline) years ago.

You can only get invaded if you are embered. If embered, you will get invaded by NPCs and players. Playthrough should be like 60-100 hours ish, as a ballpark.

On May 16, 2016 at 2:25 PM, batman said:

Guiding my wife (not a gamer) through Dark Souls 1. It's been pretty hilarious so far. She's actually doing pretty well though. She just rang the second bell down in Blighttown (I made her take the long way through the Depths) and is trying to get through Sen's Funhouse now. 

She just beat the game about an hour ago. Holy shit lol. I helped guide her to get set up with a good sword, but still. Really impressed. 

19 hours ago, batman said:

She just beat the game about an hour ago. Holy shit lol. I helped guide her to get set up with a good sword, but still. Really impressed. 

That's awesome.

I'm at Catacombs right now, not having fun. Haha.

Grinding, grinding, grinding. Got my dex. up to carry the Wolf's Knight Greatsword. Now to grind more to up my Vitality to carry it. Grinding by killing dark wraiths, and black knights. At least I got a full gear set from both (Dark & Black Knight).

Edited by Dave Grohl

7 hours ago, rooks said:

loled at this:

cutscene spoiler from like... chapter 3 or 4, I guess.

That's awesome! I just finished a speed run on super easy mode with infinite ammo and all the one shot kill guns. Felt really good to shit on all the enemies that pounded me into the pavement on my first play through (crushing mode). Now to round up the rest of the trophies when I should probably finally start DS3.

6 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

That's awesome.

I'm at Catacombs right now, not having fun. Haha.

Grinding, grinding, grinding. Got my dex. up to carry the Wolf's Knight Greatsword. Now to grind more to up my Vitality to carry it. Grinding by killing dark wraiths, and black knights. At least I got a full gear set from both (Dark & Black Knight).

Grinding in Dark Souls? That's a rarity 

6 hours ago, batman said:

want to check out doom, but not really sure i want to drop $60 on it...

I don't regret it a bit. Best FPS in a long time imo. The multiplayer isn't anything special but it's fun. The campaign is fucking great though. I'm nearly 24 hours in and haven't finished my first play through.