What video games have you been playing?

22 minutes ago, dantheriver said:

Very excited for that... too bad it's like 18 months away.

At least The Last Guardian is FINALLY coming out in October after waiting what feels like a decade... Oh wait... Cause it was. I've never been so excited for a game release like I am for Last Guardian. But it's going to be awesome to get another Colossus type game a year after. 

8 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

I'm having a really hard time deciding if No Man's Sky excites me or not.

It's a mixed bag, haha. It depends what you are into/looking for.

I was a little in the air too.

What it is: Science fiction (seriously, when you meet aliens it gives a little readthrough like "The Alien grits it's teeth and pockets of sand bulge from his eyes. He grunts in your direction and gestures towards his ship, suggesting he may be willing to trade it." Some of it has this great old-school sci-fi feel to it Space exploration. First and foremost. And to scale The planets are HUGE. Way bigger than you think. Like "Hey I can see a waypoint, oh shit it's 45 minutes away, walking"-big.

What it do: Procedural generation. If you can't see past the fact that everything is obviously (albeit, pretty well done) just lego-pieced parts put together in random order... you may not dig it. You see a T-Rex body with a Parrot face and Monkey arms with moose antlers. Are you like "The fuck kind of stupid Mr. Potato Head-shit is this? Fuck this game." OR, are you like "Hahaha look at this fuckin thing. I'm gonna name him Jimmy. Hahaha." The planets are gorgeous, harsh, different, varied, and as mentioned, huge. But, they are all basic equations of Planet Type: Animals?: Plants?: Weather/Atmosphere danger:.

What it ain't: An action game of ANY KIND. You explore. You land. You walk around. You mine, and take binocular looks at animals. You DO get attacked by some animals/things on some planets... But this isn't Far Cry, or any FPS.  You DO get attacked by hostile ships when in space... and while the graphics ARE a little better they still all play out like you are flying the Gummi Ship in Kingdom Hearts. This isn't Star Wars.

What it be: Pretty fun. I played quite a bit last night. I'm looking forward to the first patch because there is quite a bit they could clean up a tiny bit before everyone starts playing. I'm sure it could get boring/samey after a while, but the main bits of the game are really solid. There is way more economy/trade/inventory management and crafting then I expected. I'm not really good at those things, so it's making me slow down and try to learn the systems.  I think this is finally one of those games that there are a million different ways to play, and none of them are wrong. You can land on one planet and spend 30 hours exploring it if you want. You can hyper jump from galaxy to galaxy qas soon as you recharge your Warp Drive every time and get to the center of the universe if you want. You can hop around and only explore water planets, or pretend you're playing pokemon SNAP and take pics of plants and animals, or kill everything, or become an intergalactic trader, or whatever ya want, basically.  I wanted a chill game that I don't have to be sitting cross-legged leaning towards my TV to play. I sat back in my couch, had a couple beers, saw some crazy shit, and felt like an explorer.  Fun was had.

Edited by rooks

6 minutes ago, batman said:

So there aren't any objectives or quests? 

Well, yes and no. There is a loose story/quest you can follow, basically in the beginning you wake up in a crashed ship. You have a bunch of objectives to do that teach you the basics of mining, crafting, and repair to get your ship back in working order. A few planets after that you follow some objectives and build your first warp drive that let's you jump galaxies. Once you can jump galaxies you can see the Galactic Map which you can toggle two ways - follow the path to the center of the universe (main quest) or free-explore where you can fly any direction you please.

There are a couple alien factions, which you can't understand at all. And there are alien totems that teach you words that you find on planets so they start making sense. There are basically things you come up on that are puzzles or whatever and knowing aliens words helps, and succeeding raises your standing with that faction, which has lots of benefits too.

There is so much to do, I haven't really made progress on the main story. I jumped three galaxies but I spent 95 percent of my time walking and flying around on planets discovering wonky shit and learning words, finding outposts etc.

Edited by rooks

16 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

^ I only see your name as 'Halo' now...

Replaying Last of Us, and Pokemon Fire Red (since I'm done with Pokemon Go until tracking is fixed).

Holo. From Spice and Wolf. Surprised you don't just see the anime art and go "oh, god damn kid changed his avatar again. Freaking weeaboo"

Didn't think about Halo. Didn't he end up banned? Haven't seen him around lately. I promise your group buy records won't end up on Discogs for double what I paid as soon as I get them in :P <3

I recently picked up the gen 3 remakes for the hell of it because I grew up with the originals. How was Fire Red? I used to have that as well

On July 25, 2016 at 11:55 PM, dantheriver said:

^nice! I know that nobody here cares about Destiny anymore but I platinumed that recently after soloing the Crota raid without dying.  Pretty fun.

What class did you use? I'm having trouble making the abyss shortcut jump with my warlock. I was able to make it with my hunter. The warlock class has advantages for the Crota fight, though, so I'm hoping to figure it out.

ive watched videos, tried jumping just as my weight of darkness is gone 50x, just can't stop barely catching the front edge of the wall and falling..

2 minutes ago, thebiglebowski said:

What class did you use? I'm having trouble making the abyss shortcut jump with my warlock. I was able to make it with my hunter. The warlock class has advantages for the Crota fight, though, so I'm hoping to figure it out.

ive watched videos, tried jumping just as my weight of darkness is gone 50x, just can't stop barely catching the front edge of the wall and falling..

Bladedance hunter for like 95% of the raid. Only turned on gunslinger to get an extra jump for crossing the bridge gap.  You pretty much just rely on going invisible for most of the raid to stay alive/attack tough enemies without getting squashed, so all invisibility perks on with Don't Touch Me's as a backup. Let me know if you need any more tips and/or for me to send the video I used as my guide.