NBA Discussion

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, too bad i was taking a dump when alittlesamba IM'ed me! wonder who he it is!

AIM IM with alittlesamba 12/4/08 10:35 AM

basketball doesn't suck, your pitiful excuse for a record collection does though

faggot

ahahha that is so awesome. that's taking it to the next level.

love it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to stir the pot here a bit and say I personally believe Magic Johnson to be the best basketball player ever. At 6'9" he played every position on the court and once scored 40 pts, in the Finals, filling in for Kareem at the center position. Oh and he did that when he was a rookie. Michael never did that. I think he's hands down the pest point guard ever but I think he's the best player ever.

I'm going to stir the pot here a bit and say I personally believe Magic Johnson to be the best basketball player ever. At 6'9" he played every position on the court and once scored 40 pts, in the Finals, filling in for Kareem at the center position. Oh and he did that when he was a rookie. Michael never did that. I think he's hands down the pest point guard ever but I think he's the best player ever.

Its really hard to argue that Magic wasnt the greatest player ever. I personally think Jordan was but its definitely one of those 2. Magic was unbelievable. He could literally do everything. Score, pass, shoot, rebound, defense and like you said he could do it all at every position. No question that he was the greatest point guard of all time. Pretty insane that he was that great of a point guard at his size too.

In my mind there is no clear cut "best player ever". You make a good case for Magic being the most versatile of the great players, but I don't think that makes him the best. There are a few guys that would have to be in the conversation. Jordan, Magic, Russell, Wilt, the Big O, Bird, Kareem, Maravich, Baylor, and I think current players like Kobe, Lebron and Duncan could possibly enter the conversation when their careers are over. They all dominated the game in their playing days.

I cant wait for the main game on Christmas day!

Yeah, I can't wait for the Wizards vs. Cavs game either. ;)

but seriously, all 5 games have the potential to be pretty good. Especially Boston vs. LA. It should be a good Christmas for basketball.

The LA/Boston game is the only game that matters. Its going to be the the finals again this year. Boston has been playing infinately better than LA has this season. LA started out with such great defense and they need to get that back. They just need to play better all around.

you guys do realize it's the regular season right? phil jackson has led his teams to 9 titles, i think he knows a little bit about what needs to be done in the regular season to prepare for the playoffs.

so what if the lakers have been slacking a little bit lately? they're still head and shoulders better than everybody in the west, so they're obviously going to make the playoffs (barring injuries to 2 major players). if you don't think they're going to be playing their best basketball in march and april to gear up for a deep playoff run, you don't know much about the way *good* NBA teams play ball.

Obviously the Lakers will be in the playoffs. I dont think anyone is debating that. They are in a very small slump and just not playing up to their full potential. They are losing to some average and below average teams and barely beating just not so good teams. They will be totally fine. The team has enough players who know what it takes to win. Phil Jackson is a basketball genius and he wont let his team slip too much. I agree with Sammy tho, until they play as hard as the Celtics on both ends of the floor they wont be able to beat them.

celtics are just tearing everything up.

ridiculous.

Indeed they are. I'm wondering if they're working too hard for the regular season.

I wouldnt be worried about the Celtics at all. They are sooo much better than everyone in the East its not even funny. The only team who can take them down is the Lakers.

Also nice to see the Lakers show up to play again. Gives me a little more hope for the big game on Christmas. They are going to have to play some serious D on Christmas or they are going to get blow the fuck out tho.

I agree with Sammy tho, until they play as hard as the Celtics on both ends of the floor they wont be able to beat them.

that's exactly my point, though. they don't NEED to beat the celtics right now. they're going to make the playoffs, and they're probably going to be the #1 seed at that. why bust your ass in a meaningless regular season game? just to gain some sort of psuedo-mental advantage in case you happen to meet up again in the finals?

i'm not saying the best way to make it through the regular season is to not try. i just don't think this game REALLY means anything, regardless of who wins or loses.

another thing to look at, though, is "playing up/down" to the level of your competition. what's the lakers' record against teams above .500? i'm not sure, but i would venture to guess it's pretty good. their record against teams under .500, as you have seen over the past week or two, is probably not as good as their record against +.500 teams. the point is, the lakers know when they need to turn it on and prove a point.