NBA Discussion

I didn't remember hearing anyone in Boston give the Lakers any leeway for having injuries last year so the Celtics don't deserve any this year. It seems to ring a bit hollow being the Magic beat the Celtics to call them a poodle and to label yourself a rottweiler.

EXACTLY!

I know Bynum isnt really comparable to KG but having anyone an extra 7footer on your team can only help. Plus Bynum lets Gasol play PF where he can dominate just about another other PF in the game.

I didn't remember hearing anyone in Boston give the Lakers any leeway for having injuries last year so the Celtics don't deserve any this year. It seems to ring a bit hollow being the Magic beat the Celtics to call them a poodle and to label yourself a rottweiler.

well i mean if Kobe was the one injured than this would make sense, but he wasnt. who was? lamar odom or some shit?

Last year it was Bynum, who would have been a key in guarding Powe, Perkins, and KG. Just like KG would have guarded Dwight.

Dodgers = Best record in baseball

Lakers = World Champs

Kings = didn't win the Cup (neither did the Bruins)

Ducks = Got as far in the playoffs as the Bruins, Stanley Cup champs in 2005

USC = perennial national champs ( we don't have an NFL team so that's where we're going )

UCLA = National powerhouse college basketball team

Angels = perennial contenders for the AL West, World Series champs in 2002

So how exactly are we not on par with Boston sports in LA?

no youve got a point, i never said you LA wasnt on par. i was just suggesting you hated all boston sports because they are good. but its clear now that its just the LA-Boston rivalry that get you going. i absolutely hate the lakers, but i dont hate the kings nor the ducks. i kinda hate the angels, but i dont have anything against the dodgers.

Fuck Paul Pierce. Your team got beat, shut the fuck up.

I hate everything about all Boston sports.

whoaahhh. that qoute doesnt really show any sign of being a poor sport, im sure hes aware they got beat. hes showing confidence for next year, which is good. im sure you just hate all boston sports cause your jealous. yea yea the lakers won this year, i know i know, but we have 4 major sports teams that are all currently up in the top teams of their respective leagues.

i dunno, nothing i can really say that im sure wont get a bitchy response about how we are all bandwagonners or something, im sure.

Its just stupid to say anything. Your team got beat so shut up. The fact that hes even saying anything about it is pretty weak. And like Sammy said its funny that they are calling the team that beat them the "poodles". I remember hearing about how the Celtics would paint the Lakers locker room pink and turn up the heat in there when the Lakers would play at Bostin in the Finals. Just classless to say anything. And believe me, no one in LA is jealous of Boston. Please refer to Sammy's listing of LA sports teams.

Fair enough. I appreciate that kind of response and look forward to a 2009-10 final of the powers of the NBA. Maybe this time we can get a seven-game series out of it reminiscent of the glory days of the mid-80s.

yea im really looking forward to next season. same for NHL and NFL, both should be really exciting for boston.

I remember hearing about how the Celtics would paint the Lakers locker room pink and turn up the heat in there when the Lakers would play at Bostin in the Finals. Just classless to say anything.

if you can find something to prove this, id be interested. but i had never heard that before.

Ive heard it before from a few different people. Im not 100% sure about it all. I wouldnt put it past the Celtics to do soemthing like that tho back then.

I don't discount them completely no, I just think it has to be taken in to account when deciding who the greatest player is. As for Phil, he's done enough outside winning the ten championships to justify that status.

I don't mean to beat a dead horse on this Phil Jackson stuff, but what outside of the championships makes Phil so great? If you have to take the competition into account when discussing the greatest player, shouldn't you do the same when discussing the greatest coach? I mean, the 2000 Pacers, 01 76ers and 02 Nets weren't exactly all time great teams that the Lakers beat. Neither were the Kings that always gave them a good series, or the Pistons team that ended that dynasty. Especially considering that Shaq was unstoppable back then and Kobe was on his way to becoming the best player in the league that he is now.

I just can't grasp how you opinions regarding Jordan and Phil can coexist.

I don't discount them completely no, I just think it has to be taken in to account when deciding who the greatest player is. As for Phil, he's done enough outside winning the ten championships to justify that status.

I don't mean to beat a dead horse on this Phil Jackson stuff, but what outside of the championships makes Phil so great? If you have to take the competition into account when discussing the greatest player, shouldn't you do the same when discussing the greatest coach? I mean, the 2000 Pacers, 01 76ers and 02 Nets weren't exactly all time great teams that the Lakers beat. Neither were the Kings that always gave them a good series, or the Pistons team that ended that dynasty. Especially considering that Shaq was unstoppable back then and Kobe was on his way to becoming the best player in the league that he is now.

I was kinda wondering the same thing haha. Phil IS the best coach of all time but I totally get what you're saying here. He is a basketball genius tho and did come up with an incredible offensive system so Im assuming thats what he meant by that.

Those Kings team that use to battle the Lakers were a good team and so was that Pistons team you are refering to.

Eh, honestly I don't care too much. I think Phil is one of the best coaches ever and when comparing different eras I think "one of the best" is all you can say. And in that regard I don't think you can call Jordan the best ever, just one of the best ever.

Jordan = best player ever and he would completely dominate any era of the NBA past present and future. The NBA logo should be changed to the Jordan logo.

Phil = best coach of all time. most rings ever and created arguably the best offensive system of all time.

No jump shooter would be nearly as effective without the three-point line.

Eh, honestly I don't care too much. I think Phil is one of the best coaches ever and when comparing different eras I think "one of the best" is all you can say. And in that regard I don't think you can call Jordan the best ever, just one of the best ever.

I guess this is the best answer I can hope for. haha. I can't get any of you Laker fans to say anything bad about Phil Jackson.

and I was just going to say what Dan said about the Triangle Offense.

I think he's a great coach. I just feel he gets a little too much praise considering the teams he has won with (and one of the one's he lost with) were always the runaway favorites to win it all anyway. I feel that there are several NBA coaches that are just as good (or maybe better?). They just have not had the talent that Phil has been fortunate enough to coach. I mean, let's face it, every team he has won with has happened to have the single most dominant player in the league on it. No other coach has had that opportunity so many times.

Maybe Phil was a big part in why his teams were so good

That's pretty much my arguement. I don't think he was as big a part of why they were good as most people think.

So how about we compromise... I will say that Phil Jackson is the greatest frontrunner coach that the NBA has seen.

Thats a weak backhanded compliment to him. Who was a better coach? He obviously had good players, no team in the history of sports ever won with a great coach and a shitty team.

Maybe Phil was a big part in why his teams were so good

That's pretty much my arguement. I don't think he was as big a part of why they were good as most people think.

So how about we compromise... I will say that Phil Jackson is the greatest frontrunner coach that the NBA has seen.

Name one coach who won without great players. It doesn't happen. Red didn't do it. Riley never did it either. Popovic didn't do it. Mike Brown sure as shit didn't win when he probably should have with LeBron.