NBA Discussion

I thought that too but Cleveland plans to signs a new TV deal in 2017 that will allow them to pay him BIG time. Very creative way of skirting the salary cap

Edit: Forbes is reporting that Bron coming back doubled the value of the franchise. They are now worth over a billion. Crazy

I don't really understand what you are suggesting. They can only pay him so much under NBA rules, regardless of how much they make on a tv contract. Yeah, they can go into the luxury tax by signing a bunch of guys around him but that doesn't put any extra dollars in Lebron's pocket.

If he wants to make money then he should stay in New York. But if he wants to win, Chicago makes way more sense.

Also I'm still bitter.

Okay that makes more sense haha. I knew deep down if D Rose's health wasn't a question mark, he'd be a Bull right now

I don't really understand what you are suggesting. They can only pay him so much under NBA rules, regardless of how much they make on a tv contract. Yeah, they can go into the luxury tax by signing a bunch of guys around him but that doesn't put any extra dollars in Lebron's pocket.

Well there are two scenarios. One, Lebron may have an inside track to know if the players will opt out of the current CBA which can be done in two years. Economist predict that the players will demand a larger cut again since they gave up some revenue in the last lockout.

Or two, he signed a short term deal in order for Dan Gilbert to have the capital in order to field a luxury tax team as well as give him a raise

First scenario seems plausible to me. Lebron one of a couple guys that are so good he doesn't have to worry about length of contract.

Second one makes no sense. Lebron cannot receive a raise (ignoring point 1 about a new CBA), Gilbert has plenty of capital, and it's not like he gets all the money up front if he signs a 4 year deal. Either way he is going to be a max (or near max) player for a while.

Regardless of the reasoning, still comes down to Lebron said that he wanted to come home to Cleveland and then made very little commitment to staying there.

First scenario seems plausible to me. Lebron one of a couple guys that are so good he doesn't have to worry about length of contract.

Second one makes no sense. Lebron cannot receive a raise (ignoring point 1 about a new CBA), Gilbert has plenty of capital, and it's not like he gets all the money up front if he signs a 4 year deal. Either way he is going to be a max (or near max) player for a while.

Regardless of the reasoning, still comes down to Lebron said that he wanted to come home to Cleveland and then made very little commitment to staying there.

I think he was sincere about coming home but that player option puts fear in Gilbert and the GM to get this team together QUICK!

I think he was sincere about coming home but that player option puts fear in Gilbert and the GM to get this team together QUICK!

Right. Which is just what I was pointing out. We all know how athletes speak out of both sides of their mouth. I'm just saying that if it was really about coming home, he wouldn't left himself an easy out. It's not about what he can do for Cleveland, it's about what Cleveland can do for him now that they have a bunch of #1 picks he can play next to.

And that's exactly what he took a ton of shit for when he signed in Miami.

Apparently the new tv deal is supposed to increase the salary cap. Apparently he can opt out or restructure when that's official and get max long term deal.

Paul pierce is now a wizard

Damn wanted to see pierce with a very experienced team. Still though I think he adds a little something with Gortat and Wall even if he's coming off the bench...

HE IS coming off the bench right?

Damn wanted to see pierce with a very experienced team. Still though I think he adds a little something with Gortat and Wall even if he's coming off the bench...

HE IS coming off the bench right?

With Ariza now gone to the Rockets Pierce may start, or if Otto Porter can start living up to his "potential" then I would think Pierce would be the 1st guy off the bench.

Apparently the new tv deal is supposed to increase the salary cap. Apparently he can opt out or restructure when that's official and get max long term deal.

this is my understanding of it. but i dont know much so dont listen to me.

as for Love, i highly doubt the Cavs will give up Wiggins and there is no way we give up Varejao, Bron wants him on the team. I think the offer that is going to stand is Bennet, Waiters, and the first rounder.

This idea seems completely unnecessary to me. The season is way to long, with 82 games being way to many. The players are run to the ground, with so many back to backs, and 4 games in 5 nights type of scheduling.

This will absolutely never happen, but they should shorten the amount of games, and have team contraction. The one realistic solution is to realign some of the divisions, which would lessen the travel, and the need to cram so many games in one trip

This idea seems completely unnecessary to me. The season is way to long, with 82 games being way to many. The players are run to the ground, with so many back to backs, and 4 games in 5 nights type of scheduling.

This will absolutely never happen, but they should shorten the amount of games, and have team contraction. The one realistic solution is to realign some of the divisions, which would lessen the travel, and the need to cram so many games in one trip

In Silver's press conference, he said if this were to happen, the 82 game schedule will be reduced.

I saw the article mention that, but I don't know if that will ever happen. It's all about the money, and there would be too much to lose from those games. Maybe Stern was always against reducing the games, but who knows with Silver. I think that 50-60 games would do plenty.

I think that you can agree that 82 games can water down some of the games throughout the season.

I saw the article mention that, but I don't know if that will ever happen. It's all about the money, and there would be too much to lose from those games. Maybe Stern was always against reducing the games, but who knows with Silver. I think that 50-60 games would do plenty.

I think that you can agree that 82 games can water down some of the games throughout the season.

I fully agree. Players are burnt out by March. Eliminate back to backs completely.

I don't get it... like, it really doesn't make any sense to me.

why not just have an NBA-version of the NIT tournament while the real playoffs are going on?  seems like a better idea than a midseason tournament, and then maybe the timberwolves might have a chance to win something (just like the gophers did!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...