NBA Discussion

Parrish was a great center. I hate saying any Celtics were great but they've had a lot of great players over the years.

Jordan didnt play in a mediocre NBA. He played against some of the greatest players of all time. I would say the NBA that Russel and Wilt played in was medicore at best.

I still dont think any team could stop Jordan tho, I dont care who the center is. Put any Center on any team and Jordan will come out ahead. I still dont really see how having a dominant center would affect a 2 guard that much. If Jordan wasnt having success inside he would either drive and kick it out to his guard or Pippen or just shake off his defender and make a jumpshot. Like Kareem's skyhook, Jordan's fadeaway is unblockable.

10 of the top 50 of all-time played in Jordan's era. Of the eight other only Malone and Stockton and Clyde and Hakeem played together. I would argue Stockton would be displaced on this list if it were made again to make room for Kobe. So to me, Stockton is on the periphery of the 50 greatest.

Compare that to Magic's era and you'll see more ultra-dominate teams. The Celtics of that era had three all the time and had five total (Nate Archibald and Walton being the extra two) top-50 guys and the Lakers had three and countless All-Stars. To me that means there were more dominate teams in the 80s than in the 90s.

I wouldnt go off that top 50 all time list. Doesnt mean he didnt play against some great players. I agree that maybe Magic's era had some better players but Magic and Jordans career overlapped. Its not like the era of each guy's prime was THAT much different. Jordan was so amazing tho that I know for sure Jordan would have been just as good playing in an earlier time.

So I was having this debate on Facebook with my friends.

If you could pick any 2 players to build a team around who would you pick?

All time - Jordan/Magic (In my opinion the 2 best players ever)

Current - Kobe/LeBron (In everyone's opinion the 2 best players in the game now)

Sorry, coming in late on this, but I gotta give my opinion. I think you gotta build around a big man. A lot of teams usually win with a quality big man.

All Time: Shaq and Magic

Now: Lebron and D12 (Dwight definitely has to improve his post game and develop a jumper, but they both are young and arguably the best at their position. Well there is no arguing that Lebron is the best at his position.)

BTW, congrats Lakers. We just werent ready for the big stage this year. Hopefully Magic can make some moves and get back there in the near future.

So I was having this debate on Facebook with my friends.

If you could pick any 2 players to build a team around who would you pick?

All time - Jordan/Magic (In my opinion the 2 best players ever)

Current - Kobe/LeBron (In everyone's opinion the 2 best players in the game now)

Sorry, coming in late on this, but I gotta give my opinion. I think you gotta build around a big man. A lot of teams usually win with a quality big man.

All Time: Shaq and Magic

Now: Lebron and D12 (Dwight definitely has to improve his post game and develop a jumper, but they both are young and arguably the best at their position. Well there is no arguing that Lebron is the best at his position.)

BTW, congrats Lakers. We just werent ready for the big stage this year. Hopefully Magic can make some moves and get back there in the near future.

Shaq and Magic would be amazing together. The best point guard of all time with arguably the most dominant center ever.

You couldnt ever go wrong with picking Dwight and LeBron on your team but I will have to disagree with LeBron being the best at his position. Kobe is still in the league ya know? ;)

Kobe came out ahead when they played head to head and he won the league championship this year.

The Magic are a VERY good team and they are still young. If they can re-sign Turkoglu they will be in good shape next year too. They will be good without him but if they lose him thats a big hole to fill. They just need more experience and so does their coach. I think they will be a good team for a while. They were just out matched against a much more experience Laker team and out coached. Luckily for the rest of the league I have a feeling Phil might be done coaching now. He doesnt really have anything left to accomplish. He didnt do the parade yesterday cause he couldnt get to the top of the double decker bus. I think he might be done but I really hope he isnt. The man is a basketball genius!

I have to disagree a bit about the Magic. They need to trade some of their jumper game for a low-post game. The Lakers exposed them and I would imagine the rest of the league will learn from that.

The Lakers have 3 guys around 7 ft. They can expose anyone's lack of a post presence. Dwight will get better inside too and they wont need anyone else down there. Having a guy that big and dominant inside surrounded by a bunch of knock down shooters could be VERY dangerous. Shit, they were 3 games from winning the whole thing this year.

The Magic need to get better, not stay the same, or the league will catch up with them. They don't have much easy offense, which is an issue. Cleveland did a horrible job defending them from everything I've read. The Lakers laid a blue-print for other teams to follow and the Magic's road back to the Finals is going to be harder than it was this year. They need a team no based so much on shooting the three + Dwight. Disagree, I don't care, you're not changing my mind. I'm not taking anything away from what they did, I'm just making an assessment of the team.

The Magic need to get better, not stay the same, or the league will catch up with them. They don't have much easy offense, which is an issue. Cleveland did a horrible job defending them from everything I've read. The Lakers laid a blue-print for other teams to follow and the Magic's road back to the Finals is going to be harder than it was this year. They need a team no based so much on shooting the three + Dwight. Disagree, I don't care, you're not changing my mind. I'm not taking anything away from what they did, I'm just making an assessment of the team.

Yea they definitely need to get better. I agree with you on that.

Yeah but if Jordan hadn't attained as much team success the way people see him would be different. He played against some great players sure, but rarely any great teams which is all I'm trying to say.

So you all but dismiss the 6 championships that Jordan won as just playing in a weak NBA era, but you make the case that Phil Jackson is the greatest coach ever for winning those same championships? (in addition to the ones with the Lakers)

You couldnt ever go wrong with picking Dwight and LeBron on your team but I will have to disagree with LeBron being the best at his position. Kobe is still in the league ya know? ;)

Yeah, but technically they play different positions when they are not playing against each other with kobe playing the 2 and lebron playing the 3.

You obviously can't go wrong with Kobe either, he is prob. the best closer in the game, but I would pick Lebron over him if starting a team simply for the fact that he is younger.

I have to disagree a bit about the Magic. They need to trade some of their jumper game for a low-post game. The Lakers exposed them and I would imagine the rest of the league will learn from that.

I definitely agree that they need someone to drive the lane more and not rely on jumpers. I also agree that Dwight has to improve his post game. However, the Magic made it that far this year with mis-matches and the 3. If KG was healthy they probably don't get that far anyways.

In regards to the Lakers exposing them, I don't necessarily agree with that. The Lakers didn't really do anything a lot different than other teams, they just did it more effectively with a better team. They might have exposed Howard's lack of post moves, but that was well known before the series.

The Lakers had enough depth at the 5 position to keep Howard in check. Also, Howard was drawing double/triple teams with 2 7 footers. Bynum, although playing better than normal against Howard, was clearly over-matched. However, when he would get in foul trouble, the Lakers could roll with Odom or Gasol. How many other teams in the league had that much depth or will have that much quality depth in the future?

The Magic needed better fundamentals. 2 games could have been won with better free throw shooting.

Either way, I will say that the Lakers were the better team.

In regards to the Magic's future, I just don't think that they will be able to afford to go anywhere but down. They don't have Laker money. I hope that they can resign Turk, but if not maybe a Marion or someone like that.

I just think in a short series, when your shooting just isn't there you need a Plan B and the Magic don't have that. To win on the highest level I think they need that.

I agree with that. And to top it off, we might lose our "closer" (if you can call him that) and our best driver if Turk leaves.

Paul Pierce, "Lakers vs. orlando. Looked like a german sherperd vs a poodle that's ok the rotwieler celtics will b back in 2010."

Wow, I would think that he would be the last Celtic to say that seeing as how he didn't do shit against the Magic the whole series. No show.

haha, obviously i found this funny. dunno about the rotweiler part, but the other dog metaphors is pretty accurate haha.

Fuck Paul Pierce. Your team got beat, shut the fuck up.

I hate everything about all Boston sports.

whoaahhh. that qoute doesnt really show any sign of being a poor sport, im sure hes aware they got beat. hes showing confidence for next year, which is good. im sure you just hate all boston sports cause your jealous. yea yea the lakers won this year, i know i know, but we have 4 major sports teams that are all currently up in the top teams of their respective leagues.

i dunno, nothing i can really say that im sure wont get a bitchy response about how we are all bandwagonners or something, im sure.

I didn't remember hearing anyone in Boston give the Lakers any leeway for having injuries last year so the Celtics don't deserve any this year. It seems to ring a bit hollow being the Magic beat the Celtics to call them a poodle and to label yourself a rottweiler.

well i mean if Kobe was the one injured than this would make sense, but he wasnt. who was? lamar odom or some shit?

Dodgers = Best record in baseball

Lakers = World Champs

Kings = didn't win the Cup (neither did the Bruins)

Ducks = Got as far in the playoffs as the Bruins, Stanley Cup champs in 2005

USC = perennial national champs ( we don't have an NFL team so that's where we're going )

UCLA = National powerhouse college basketball team

Angels = perennial contenders for the AL West, World Series champs in 2002

So how exactly are we not on par with Boston sports in LA?