NBA Discussion

exciting that the raps got turkoglu. on paper, we always have a decent looking team but end up failing miserably. still excited about this season though, and hopefully demar derozan gets his minutes and makes it happen.

Holy shit I thought the deal with Portland was done. So glad he didnt end up on Portland. That team is going to be REALLY good in a year or 2, they are already one of the best teams in the West.

Kinda sucks to be in the East if you arent Boston, Cleveland or Orlando. I really dont think any other team has a legit shot.

I hear the Lakers are looking at Chris Bosh since Odom is being a dumb ass about signing.

Apparently the Lakers offered $30MM/3 years but Odom wants 4 years. The Heat and, I think Dallas, have talked to Odom but can both only offer in the $5MM-$7MM range per year. So Odom could get $7MM/year to go to Dallas or Miami for 4 years and make less money than he would playing for the Lakers for 3 years. I dont understand this at all. He's about to end up like Ariza. Id love to see them sign Chris Bosh instead of Odom.

Odom > Bosh

Bosh can't play point guard. Odom is an oddball and what have you but he's a fantastic baseball player. Bosh won't play well with Gasol like Odom.

We dont need Odom to play the point. We have like 3 of them already. I agree Odom is a great player but if he's gonna fuck around then screw it if we can get someone like Bosh. How do you know Bosh wont play well with Gasol? They have never played together. Bosh is at least as good as Odom. I guarantee he is more consistent too. Sucks to be in the playoffs and have to wonder which Odom is going to show up that game. Im not trying to talk bad about the guy cause I love him as a player and love him on the Lakers but if he is going to fuck around here then he could end up exactly like Ariza.

Odom - 11.3 PPG/8.2 RBs/1.3 blks in 78 games last season

Bosh - 22.7 PPG/10. RBs/1.0 blks in 77 games last season

Ill take Bosh

That would mean you'd have three guys who want to occupy the same part of the court: Bosh, Bynum, and Gasol. Odom doesn't play in the box down low nearly as much as he drives to the rim or takes short jump shots. Hell, even a good three pointer every once in a while.

I also think its telling on a team with no inside presence Bosh has less blocks than Odom and not too many more rebounds even though Odom split his boards between Kobe and Gasol. Basically, I think their stat lines are misleading.

not to mention, bosh plays for... oh yeah: toronto.

he's the go-to guy on a shitty team. he BETTER have 20 and 10. odom is the 3rd option on offense and (like sammy said) splits his boards between kobe and gasol.

i'm not trying to knock chris bosh, but he isn't a bonafide superstar just because he gives you 20/10. i'd take odom over bosh every day of the week.

Id gladly take Odom or Bosh on my team any day. Odom has an insane amount of skill but cant put it all together consistently while Bosh is just as good or close to it and does it consistently. You just never hear much about him cause he's on Toronto. There's a reason the dude was on the Olympic team last year...he's bad ass! I know Bosh is a go to guy on Toronto so he gets more opportunities and what not but if he's on the Lakers he's going to be playing with far superior players which will make him a better player. I dunno if his numbers would really drop very much playing on the Lakers. I honestly dont really care either way as long as they get one of them. Odom needs to talk to his agent and tell him to get Dr. Bus on the phone right now and get that offer back on the table before he ends up in Dallas or Miami and struggles to make the playoffs after trying to play hardball with the Lakers. He should take note from the Ariza situaiton. Neither of those teams have a legitimate shot at winning a title next year. I seriously cant understand Odom's (or his agent's) thinking in this whole thing.

Both Odom and Ariza's agents have screwed the pooch big time.

Yea we'll be hearing about Ariza in about 3 or 4 years when he's a free agent and trying to get the fuck out of Houston. I have a feeling Yao's career is over. Same with McGrady, even if he does come back I dont know how effective he will be. Then we all know what happened with Artest. They have a couple good young players but nothing thats going to make them any kind of contender. Ariza's going to be the star on that team.

Odom fits better with the current Lakers roster, but Bosh is definately the better player. It's been said several times in this thread, Odom often completely disappears in games. You always know what you are going to get with Bosh.

I don't think it's fair to knock Bosh's stats because of the team he's on either. Gasol's stats pretty much stayed the same going from Memphis to LA. Who says Bosh can't have the same results? Odom's stats actually got better going from bad teams to the Lakers.

I say Bosh can't have the same results BECAUSE HE PLAYS THE SAME POSITION AS GASOL.

You can't run out a team that doesn't compliment and play well with each other. That's the biggest reason Bosh wouldn't be nearly as effective as a Laker. Are you going to push Gasol out of the paint? Are you going to push Bynum out, assuming he's healthy and playing as he has when healthy? I say no. I say both those guys get precedence over Bosh.

You can't just pluck out All-Stars, put them on a team, and expect to win. Odom provides versatility no one in the NBA has. He can play any position 1-4. He dismantles the Cavs in a way Bosh has never done. Not to say Bosh isn't as good as Odom but he's most certainly not as versatile.

There's a reason when Odom plays well the Lakers are unbeatable. He's the perfect compliment for the team. And he's a perfect 6th man.

Why would you rather have Bynum than Bosh? Is Bynum's upside better than Bosh? I don't think so, and with the way the NBA has developed you don't necessarily need a huge body down low. Gasol and Bosh are long enough that together they should be able to protect the rim. Although the two play the same way position they would complement each other well. Bosh can hit the three and the mid range when Gasol is on the block, and Gasol can hit the mid range when Bosh is on the block. If the prices are similar anyone would be crazy to take Odom or Bynum, or Odom AND Bynum over Bosh.

Why would you rather have Bynum than Bosh? Is Bynum's upside better than Bosh? I don't think so, and with the way the NBA has developed you don't necessarily need a huge body down low. Gasol and Bosh are long enough that together they should be able to protect the rim. Although the two play the same way position they would complement each other well. Bosh can hit the three and the mid range when Gasol is on the block, and Gasol can hit the mid range when Bosh is on the block. If the prices are similar anyone would be crazy to take Odom or Bynum, or Odom AND Bynum over Bosh.

This is pretty much the point I was trying to make. Doesnt matter if they play the same position. They run an offense to get their guys in the right spots. Its not like having 3 big guys to rebound under the basket is a bad thing. Its not like they are going to be running into each other and make a blooper reel. They can still spread it out just like they did before. Odom is a better ball handler but thats not saying much. Hes a better ball handler than anyone else his size in the league. Plus Bosh can hit some short-mid range jumpers. Id take Bosh over Bynum anyday but thats not really the deal here. I honestly dont care if they get Bosh or Odom but they better get one of them....or someone else of equal size and talent to fill that spot.

Yes, having too many big guys is a bad thing, they all fight each other for position.

Considering one-legged Bynum and candy junky Odom helped the Lakers pretty much glide their way to a championship makes me want to keep them both around. I also don't perceive Odom to be so up and down as everyone says he is. He had major back problems for a few games and those games were weak. Then he sucked it up and got it done for the last two games against Denver and the Finals.

And also lost in all this, to get Bosh this year requires a trade. He's not a FA until next year.

Yes, having too many big guys is a bad thing, they all fight each other for position.

Considering one-legged Bynum and candy junky Odom helped the Lakers pretty much glide their way to a championship makes me want to keep them both around. I also don't perceive Odom to be so up and down as everyone says he is. He had major back problems for a few games and those games were weak. Then he sucked it up and got it done for the last two games against Denver and the Finals.

And also lost in all this, to get Bosh this year requires a trade. He's not a FA until next year.

I think players at the NBA level can figure out how to play together when there's 3 big guys. Its not like all 3 are going to post up on every play. They are stupid guys, I dont think they will be bumping into each other and fighting each other for the ball. I have no problems with Odom what so ever. Great player and I agree he is much more consistent than people here have given him credit for. He did have a pretty bad back injury for quite a bit of the end of the season/playoffs. I remember hearing someone on the Lakers saying they cant believe he is even still playing with that injury.