educate me on audio systems. re: recievers, pre

ive always bought all inclusive 80s am/fm/cassette/turntable things. but my newest one is apparently a piece of shit. so im going the whole turntable, reciever route. but i know nothing. so am i correct in saying : turntable+speakers+cassette deck, etc gets plugged into the reciever? what do i need a pre-amp for? someone give me the 101

this could take a lot of explaining if you really wanted to get into it...

Basically you just have to figure out the route of your music.

Record Player -> Phono Preamp -> Receiver -> Speakers

of course that is if the receiver you get does not already have a phono preamp already in it, at that point you'd skip that whole step...

There is a laundry list of stuff you can do with audio systems.

Speed Regulators, Power Conditioners, Networked Interconnects, etc...

It all depends on how much money you want to spend...

The only reason i have an inkling of what to do, is because i work in the audio/video industry...

P.S. I live out by Lansdale.

Good question...can anyone recommend any good receivers with a built in pre-amp that's decent and doesn't kill the wallet (I have money to spend, but I'd rather invest in some nice speakers as well and not have everything just go to one or another.)

My parents bought me a Yamaha R-V503 receiver in 1998 and it has a phono input. I don't know what it cost then, but I am willing to bet you can find one for pretty cheap on the internet if you look.

ensure your receiver has phono input jacks in the back for your turntable. if it has specifically-labelled phono jacks, then the receiver is built to take turntables.

as far as the speaker question is concerned, in my personal experience, having an excellent receiver/integrated amp etc and above average speakers is better than having top notch speakers and an average receiver. my thinking / expereince is that the sound generated by the receiver makes much more difference to sound quality than speakers.

you are more likely to get an in-built phono stage in an older receiver than newer ones. when i was looking for mine, some shops selling brand new components only had 1 choice with a phono stage. so it was ebay and a 2nd hand, good priced, decent receiver.

I've said it before and I've said it again, its hard to beat a good Marantz 22XX model receiver from the 70s. Great sound, great build quality, cool looks, and the price is right (I got mine for $110 shipped).

Here's some info I posted in another thread...

I would pick up a Marantz 22XX model receiver (there are models ranging from 2210 and up to 2290, the two numbers after '22' representing the amount of watts per channel it delivers). 15W per channel is more than enough with a decent set of speakers. A Marantz receiver will set you back $80-200 on ebay depending on model and condition, they all sound great and will mate well with a turntable. This was hot shit in the 70s and they sound great, plus they have a built in phono-input. This vintage Marantz gear has a great reputation for build and sound quality. If you're only going to spend $150 on an amp or receiver, there's pretty much no better bang for your buck option out there. Do a search on ebay for Marantz, then limit your search to vintage electronics, and then to receivers and you should get 40+ auctions for 22XX series receivers. I own a Marantz 2216B receiver and its great, its holding me ove while I build my own tube amplifier and preamp.

Rest of the thread can be found here if you're curious.

http://vinylcollective.proboards79.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=general&thread=1197353066&page=1