Merch Direct can't pack vinyl... ARGH!

I ordered the 4th 7" that Pulling Teeth released in their limited series, this is the one where they cover the Ramones. Anyhow, Merch Direct sent it in a padded envelope with NO CARDBOARD, and no stickers or notices saying "Fragile" or "Do Not Bend". So the mail carrier just crammed it into our apartment mailbox, which isn't very big. Thankfully the vinyl is ok but the sleeve is right fucked up & mangled. I'm so frustrated, you would think a place that does mailorder, and has been doing it for years, would train people to treat vinyl better.

I ordered the 4th 7" that Pulling Teeth released in their limited series, this is the one where they cover the Ramones. Anyhow, Merch Direct sent it in a padded envelope with NO CARDBOARD, and no stickers or notices saying "Fragile" or "Do Not Bend". So the mail carrier just crammed it into our apartment mailbox, which isn't very big. Thankfully the vinyl is ok but the sleeve is right fucked up & mangled. I'm so frustrated, you would think a place that does mailorder, and has been doing it for years, would train people to treat vinyl better.

email the band pictures of how you received your record and maybe they'll stop using their service. then drop the plug for VC, obviously one of the only dependable vinyl shippers in the country ;)

the fact that people still use commercialized places like merchdirect, smartpunk, interpunk, etc just blows my mind

Yeah i normally stay away from these places but with this Pulling Teeth single i knew it was limited edition so i went direct with the label Chainsaw Safety. Much to my chagrin Chainsaw Safety has Merch Direct take care of all their mailorder. If i knew of anyone else who had this record in their distro i would've ordered it from them.

I emailed Merch Direct this morning.... see what they have to say about this.

I just don't get why small labels outsource their mailorder. It's not like they're sending 100 packages per day or anything. Mailorder is one of the most fun things about doing a label. Sure it can get tedious but it certainly gives you more control. The irony is that all the bigger indie labels do all their own shit. They pay people and/or get interns to do it, but still.....at least it's in-house.

QUIT OUTSOURCING OUR MAILORDER JOBS!

Guest genericinsight
Well MerchDirect is just a glorified shipping service that takes a percentage and hosts your store, right? You'd think they'd know how to ship shit.

Interpunk/Smartpunk are actual retailers...also should know how to ship shit, but whatever.

I can vouch that Interpunk has finally learned how to ship vinyl properly, at least. A few months ago I ordered from them and for the first time I EVER ordered vinyl from them, they shipped the record in an LP mailer completely with cardboard fillers. I guess with enough people complaining, they finally got on the ball.

so yeah, complain all you want and it might eventually make a difference with the place.