"Rarest Record Of All Time" on eBay (Beatles LP)

Yeah I saw one of these on popsike. But rarest record of all time? I remember seeing something in that video about the world's largest record collection about an unreleased Stones record and the guy said it was worth about $10k. Anybody have a link to that thread or video?

the guy's name is Paul Mawhinney - originally from Pittsburgh, i think.

anyway, here's a link to the video:

http://www.vimeo.com/1546186

It's pretty dumb to call it the rarest record of all time. Presumably any of the numbers could be the rarest. I would assume it's actually easier to find copy #5 as opposed to #25,381.

I don't think so cause usually the lowest numbers are given to the band themselves so i imagine its really hard to get a copy numbered under 10 or so

My point is how is one number more rare then another number?

Also, being that #5 is more sought after than other numbers, it's most likely easier to find, and actually less rare than other numbers. I believe that the record could be the most sought after record of all time, but there are certainly tougher records to find.

Also, do the numbered copies go for any more than unnumbered copies in general?

what makes a record RARE? isn't it the number of times it's pressed? so technically anybody who owns a 1/1 record has "the rarest record of all time." yes, this beatles record is ridiculously hard to come by, and absurdly expensive, but it's not the rarest record of all time.

what makes a record RARE? isn't it the number of times it's pressed? so technically anybody who owns a 1/1 record has "the rarest record of all time." yes, this beatles record is ridiculously hard to come by, and absurdly expensive, but it's not the rarest record of all time.

The guy is going by Record Collector's '200 Rarest Records of All Time'

From http://www.thetripwire.com/news/2008/11/14/rarest-record-of-all-time-for-sale-on-ebay

"Considering that pressing numbers 0000001 through 0000004 were given directly to the members of The Beatles, that would make the alleged copy number 0000005 of the Beatles' White Album that is up for sale on eBay the earliest possible public edition. Widely held to be one of the most influential albums of all-time, number 0000005 was recently given the number one position in the "200 Rarest Records of All Time" by Record Collector magazine."

I agree. It is NOT the rarest record. A 1/1 would be more rare. This is just very much sought after. Even though it is hand numbered #5, it doesn't mean it made it to public availability any faster. I understand why this is ape shit mega awesome, but I think the description and rarity is all wrong, at least in the syntax or whatever.

From http://www.thetripwire.com/news/2008/11/14/rarest-record-of-all-time-for-sale-on-ebay

"Considering that pressing numbers 0000001 through 0000004 were given directly to the members of The Beatles, that would make the alleged copy number 0000005 of the Beatles' White Album that is up for sale on eBay the earliest possible public edition. Widely held to be one of the most influential albums of all-time, number 0000005 was recently given the number one position in the "200 Rarest Records of All Time" by Record Collector magazine."

Thats what i meant ;) You said it much better than me :D:D

It's pretty dumb to call it the rarest record of all time. Presumably any of the numbers could be the rarest. I would assume it's actually easier to find copy #5 as opposed to #25,381.

I don't think so cause usually the lowest numbers are given to the band themselves so i imagine its really hard to get a copy numbered under 10 or so