Uncensored Colors: A Portugal. The Man Documentary

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone explain to me the reason for the punctuation in their name?

i actually think this might be one of the reasons i never gave them a fair shot when i first heard about them. same thing with panic! at the disco, except they realized how stupid it was and took it out.

michael, looks like you're off to a good start.

Portugal. The Man is not the 'actual' band name. 'Portugal. The Man' was a novel by John Gourley's father that was never finished. The bands real name is 'Portugal. The Man presents The Apporaching AIRballoons' And if you check most of their CD's it says the album is performed by 'The Approaching AIRballoons'. As for the full stop after Portugal, can't say for certain, but I love it, it's nothing like the stupid gimmick of PANIC!.

They have lot's of explanations for the name. They figured a country as one name who represents a whole bunch of people and it had something to do with ziggie stardust, so yeah.. they make a lot up :)

I would appreciate it if I got some feedback here or on vimeo on the preview, what to change, coloring, what you think so far..

thanks dan!

here's the link again: http://vimeo.com/2620115

the only thing i would say (and i'm not sure if this is only on your preview or if this is how you're making the actual movie) is that if you're going to play a full song, play the full song from start to finish. but don't have a clip be 1:00 long if you're not going to do it all. it just feels awkward watching it then. i would say about :30 is the cutoff for longest allowed time without playing the whole thing. if you're going to play the whole thing that's fine, though.

• 4 weeks later...

the thing is, that guy with the camera was someone else who was filming them for a tv thing.

my buddy just didn't care and started filming, but it wasn't filmed from start to end that's why I put that interview thing inbetween with John (about Colors) and yeah i've changed the middle again, too bad I don't have vimeo plus, cuz now I have to wait another week to upload!

I think the Death Cab For Cutie DVD is an excellent example of a great band documentary. Lots of live footage, interviews, sound checks and the like. Personally I don't like the live footage to be full songs. I get a little ADD. It's always rad though, if it's going to be a DVD, to include full live concerts in the bonus features.

I was going to suggest watching the death cab dvd and doing whatever they did.

If you start a song, I'd prefer that I get to see all of it at once rather than broken up.

fo sho.

breaking it up makes it awkward. it makes me think they fucked up at some point in the middle of the song and you just edited that part out to make them look good, but since you can't perfectly adjoin the two clips, you split them up with an interview.

also, how crazy small is the room they're playing in? where the shit were they?

If you start a song, I'd prefer that I get to see all of it at once rather than broken up.

fo sho.

breaking it up makes it awkward. it makes me think they fucked up at some point in the middle of the song and you just edited that part out to make them look good, but since you can't perfectly adjoin the two clips, you split them up with an interview.

also, how crazy small is the room they're playing in? where the shit were they?

haha, a fuckin' elevator!

while in theory i like the idea of breaking up the song with the interview, it seems really awkward to me. i feel like if you maybe kept the audio from the song running quietly in the background while the interview was happening, then cut back to them playing it might seem smoother?

i have no idea what i'm talking about/how the editing process works, so i really have no idea if that's even feasible, lol

while in theory i like the idea of breaking up the song with the interview, it seems really awkward to me. i feel like if you maybe kept the audio from the song running quietly in the background while the interview was happening, then cut back to them playing it might seem smoother?

i have no idea what i'm talking about/how the editing process works, so i really have no idea if that's even feasible, lol

Good idea, yeah.. but like I said, it wasn't completely filmed as my buddy wasn't really allowed to film that since the other man that was there was filming that for something else, a tv thing. So that's why I did it like this, I can always continue the real track underneath, but that would be weird or wouldn't it?

• 2 years later...