thrice - live at the house of blues cd/dvd

i would highly recommend anyone who has ever been a thrice fan, or even if you only like some of their stuff, pick this up. they dont play a ton of old songs, but the set is amazing, and the energy in their songs is incredible. nearly a 2 hour set, 25 songs, and the quality is great. the packaging isnt wonderful, some nice pictures in the book. it is only like 12.99 at best buy, which is worth it if you intend to watch the dvd, but if not i would just suggest downloading it somewhere for cheaper.

There are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many songs from the Alchemy Index and only one pre-TAITA song, "Deadbolt." Maybe there's a second one from Illusion Of Safety, too, but I know there's nothing off Identity Crisis and only even a handful off TAITA. This is mostly Vheissu and Alchemy Index. I like each Thrice album for different reasons and can appreciate their entire catalog, but man, this setlist is way too weighted to new stuff, considering they knew beforehand they were going to record it.

There are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many songs from the Alchemy Index and only one pre-TAITA song, "Deadbolt." Maybe there's a second one from Illusion Of Safety, too, but I know there's nothing off Identity Crisis and only even a handful off TAITA. This is mostly Vheissu and Alchemy Index. I like each Thrice album for different reasons and can appreciate their entire catalog, but man, this setlist is way too weighted to new stuff, considering they knew beforehand they were going to record it.

Hence my main reason for not buying this.

<3 Erik

this was what I was wondering...

i think everyone would like to have more illusion stuff. there were two songs, 'trust' and 'deadbolt'. they played six songs from artist, which is plenty. they played a vhiessu bside, which is awesome. and they said a long time ago that they wont play identity crisis stuff anymore. yeah theres a lot of alchemy stuff, but with 24 new songs what do you expect.

i really hate it when bands get "too good" to play their own songs, it's not like they had a line up change and an ex member wrote/sang/whatever those songs...

i agree to an extent. although they have the same members, thrice is basically a different band now than they were ten years ago. the songs may not mean the same thing they did back then, and you cant really fault them wanting to play what means something, and not just old stuff to make the crowd happy. understand that i have never seen them play anything pre-illusion, and would love to hear some songs, but not if it means them blowing through them lifeless and emotionless. i have seen them play songs from artist like that, and it just isnt fun.

trust is on there from IOS, they played that song that whole tour and about 5-6 songs from TAITA which is pretty good for an album that is over 5 years old. its a live dvd of the stuff they are playing now, not a huge retrospective thing and also their second dvd. i dont really see a problem with a live dvd representing a band's current live set.

• 12 years later...

Did anyone catch that this got an Unofficial Bootleg release? Looks like it came out around the end of June. I only found 2 sold out listings for online stores, and 1 $80 listing on Discogs.  

I managed to find one at a local record store today, and the store owner tried to convince me there was an original press before this boot done by Newbury Comics from a long time ago that goes for a lot of money, and I didn't buy that story (just assuming he's trying to justify the shop's hefty price for a boot). I couldn't find anything in my searching about an original pressing, so I'm curious if anyone else might know? 

Either way, the boot sounds pretty good, and the packaging is nice! 

Discogs reference link - https://www.discogs.com/Thrice-Live-At-The-House-Of-Blues/release/19471984spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png