"The Vinyl Bubble"

Even though I don't share their music tastes much anymore, I just read all of the Staff lists on Punknews.org and noticed this in Justin's:

http://www.punknews.org/review/7924

The Vinyl Bubble

I mean really -- if you're into buying it for the money, sell high, quick. Pressing eight colors and packaging them as a deal with a pint glass, beer stein and a bottle opener is quickly killing the joy of collecting. I've fallen prey to it myself -- who wants a copy of [[the Falcon]] 10"? -- and can see how it's taking away the joy of actually finding rare vinyl. The Vinyl Collective approach has commoditized and ran into the ground the concept of colored vinyl. If you're shopping for wall decorations it's a nice, cheap way to get some pretty colored disks -- but if you're wanting to own a piece of history (in my eye, the purpose of "rare" vinyl), you're just buying the Wal-Mart version of it. Sorry Virgil, this is no offense to you and I know you love what you do, but this isn't fun anymore -- it's just tedious.

To be clear, I'm very pro- the institution of vinyl and colored vinyl as a special thing. What I take issue with is taking the fun, the danger and the hunt out of finding those rare pieces of wax -- leading people to buy still-in-print 7"'s for 10 times the cost on eBay! I think everyone can agree that shit like that is ridiculous.

Thoughts?

P.S. - My top list can be found here if you're interested can be found here:

http://kirbypuckett.wordpress.com

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its just ridiculous. You can still hunt for that super old first press of whatever record if you want it. I love that things are getting repressed now so that if someone wants a copy to listen to then its easier to get you dont have to spend a ton of cash just to get something to listen to. If you want a specific rare version of something you can still try to track it down. I think that whole thing was stupid.

totally agree, but not sure on how widespread this is. Punk rock seems to be one of the few genres (with the exception of Alive repressing the Big Come Up) that are pressing and pressing and pressing. Taking some kids to the bank. I can't help but be disappointed when someones record list has 50 items but only actually 10 cause everything is just a different color of the same albums.

killer post.

i think 70% of people who post here are genuine about record collecting. You can tell by the list of records they have and how often they sell off the records they own.

Vinylcollective has made collecting EASY. some records were not meant for you to own (test pressings,record release versions) and i dont think some people understand.

After some time all this hype behind rare vinyl will die, and people who only give a shit about that will be left holding the bag.

killer post.

i think 70% of people who post here are genuine about record collecting. You can tell by the list of records they have and how often they sell off the records they own.

Vinylcollective has made collecting EASY. some records were not meant for you to own (test pressings,record release versions) and i dont think some people understand.

After some time all this hype behind rare vinyl will die, and people who only give a shit about that will be left holding the bag.

+1 for the NOFX refrence wheather it was on purpose or not

i like how he slams VC but then says no offense virgil. the ebay pricing is more the buyer's fault than the seller's. until stupid people stop paying the astronomical prices there will always be someone capitalizing off them. with me i dont care about tracking down the rarest variant and i dont get pissed if i missed out on ordering something that's /100 or /17. if a record i want is OOP and theres no sign of a repress im perfectly happy with just finding a copy for a reasonable price.

killer post.

I'm not sure I understand. Are people who sell off some records less genuine about collecting? Because I just sold off a bunch of stuff that was very near and dear to me in order to afford records that are more important to me....does that make me less genuine of a collector? I have been buying vinyl since about 1990 and sometimes it's necessary to sell things to a) make room for more records, B) get rid of records you don't listen to or c) to afford high-dollar rarities.

hype about rare vinyl will never die, however I think the pre-release hype will die, post-release, post-sellout hype and hunting for rare records will never die!

i don't think vc is bad at all, the color breakdowns seem totally reasonable. Plus its not like people are making you buy the pint glass etc. If youre a big fan and you want it, you buy it. Who cares?

I took this as not the pint glasses and other items but as hey we are releaseing an LP, its limited to 1000 on 2 colors.

sold out.

jsut kidding, we pressed another 100, this time on these colors. hurry it'll sell out!

sold out.

just kidding!

we pressed 2000 more, with 8 colors. hurry they will sell out!!!

sold out.

all in a span of 3 months.

i'd like to sell certain parts of my collection, but i've got too much of a connection with some records that i'd just feel guilty if i sold em (records that i got the hook up on from people in bands/labels).

in my opinion, represses are fine. multiple colors are whatever, i'm over it. i agree that once the hype is over, we won't really have anything to worry about. i think a lot of people are going to be jumping the variant ship this year. i already kinda started...

i don't think vc is bad at all, the color breakdowns seem totally reasonable. Plus its not like people are making you buy the pint glass etc. If youre a big fan and you want it, you buy it. Who cares?

I took this as not the pint glasses and other items but as hey we are releaseing an LP, its limited to 1000 on 2 colors.

sold out.

jsut kidding, we pressed another 100, this time on these colors. hurry it'll sell out!

sold out.

just kidding!

we pressed 2000 more, with 8 colors. hurry they will sell out!!!

sold out.

all in a span of 3 months.

No one is obligated to buy anything they dont want. If you want to collect all the variants then thats up to you. I like keeping records in print so I can pick it up if I just want a copy to listen to and then if you want the rare variant or first press or whatever then you are free to hunt that down. I think how Fat does it is perfect. Make X amount of records on 1 color as somewhat of a first press then keep pressing it on black from then on.