Gran Torino

I figured since Academy Awards time is coming up on us, and everyone else is mentioning movies, i figured i'd go with this one.. Just watched it and thought maybe this was on par with "Milk" and "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button", "Revolutionary Road". etc

I've always been a Clint Eastwood Fan, but as the last 5 years have passed. This guy has not let up. Not only do most of his movies get nominated but they have been cinema masterpieces. Ok, maybe not masterpieces, but they are quality cinema. Anyway "GRAN TORINO" was no exception.. This movie was far more superior than "the curious case...." but without having to explain the whole movie in a synopsis, I'd like to get some feedback on what everyone else who saw it. I'm sure a few of you have, depending on the city you live in, have seen it.

Hopefully this thread isn't wasted and some of you can give your thoughts. I personally thought it was amazing. 4 minutes short of two hours and it felt like it went by in 40 minutes. This is gonna be one of those movies i own.

I feel like Eastwood sounds like Christian Bale's Dark Knight Batman. Then my friend brought up the point when has Eastwood not sounded like Batman. I first thought this movie was a joke, but if the reviews are this good I guess I will have to see it.

You have it backwards... Batman sounds like Clint Eastwood, not the other way around.

I want to see this movie, but I will probably wait for the dvd.

Guest kevinb

im sure i was quite mislead by the preview but no way would some white old fuck tell all of these gangs and thugs to get off his property blah blah cause he'd get his face blown off, but the overall story looks good

im sure i was quite mislead by the preview but no way would some white old fuck tell all of these gangs and thugs to get off his property blah blah cause he'd get his face blown off, but the overall story looks good

It's not far from the truth. There are many men like him who have no sense of fear and are not as decrepit as most old men. A life of agony, death, etc desensitize a person to no end. The movie explains a little more on Walt's background before the scene actually takes place. It gives more insight as to what he's capable of and why he is the way he is. But believe me, men like him exist.

It's not far from the truth. There are many men like him who have no sense of fear and are not as decrepit as most old men. A life of agony, death, etc desensitize a person to no end. The movie explains a little more on Walt's background before the scene actually takes place. It gives more insight as to what he's capable of and why he is the way he is. But believe me, men like him exist.

Truth.

RIP Uncle Jean.

You know, I wasn't expecting this movie to be as funny as it was for the most part. When he was getting him to "talk like a man" I was in stitches. Plus it was like if Clint Eastwood took the crotchety grandpa Simpson, except drank pabst and was an all around bad ass with a sweet ride. But I will agree with what someone else said earlier about some of the other acting being atrocious. Still a solid flick. Wonder if Eastwood is actually that racist though..

You know, I wasn't expecting this movie to be as funny as it was for the most part. When he was getting him to "talk like a man" I was in stitches. Plus it was like if Clint Eastwood took the crotchety grandpa Simpson, except drank pabst and was an all around bad ass with a sweet ride. But I will agree with what someone else said earlier about some of the other acting being atrocious. Still a solid flick. Wonder if Eastwood is actually that racist though..

Remember that the acting wasn't being done by professionals. Most of the cast in the movie were non-actors.

As to Eastwood being racist. No, he actually detests racistm and violence. But this part was written to be seen as a man that wasn't really racist, but just a person who grew up in an era that wasn't so kind or just blunt to other people... As you can see, he opens up to the family next door after a certain time.

Eastwood likes to use real people for his movies therefore when taking audtions for the cast of the family next door, he chose non-experienced actors and real life hmong cast. Unfortunately, that weighed heavy when it came to acting, but again, Thao was a shy boy and with he non-acting experience made it seem all that likely, Su didnt do so hot, but what do you expect. Walt was a fucking mean old man that ridiculed everything, and it gave eastwood subject matter to work with and ridicule people.

I think Eastwood took a chance, and while not the best acting... a solid script and a solid director, he pulled it off....