Dropcards...Seriously?

I finally used the one for the new Foundation album that I bought at the fest. Jesus, could this service be any less functional?

First, there's no "download the entire album" button. Each track has to be downloaded one at a time and the way the interface is set up, you can't even download multiple tracks. It's "click, download...wait, download next track" until you have the entire album. Also if you import it to iTunes it doesn't have the complete information and all the songs are set up as "(Song number)(Songtitle)" ex: "1Begging to Bleed", so you need to adjust that if you want to get everything in order.

All of that for 160kbps download. If this thing cost more than $5 it wouldn't have been worth it. Waste of plastic.

I wasn't really pleased with this service, either. How hard would it be for the label (or the people doing the dropcards, whoever) to properly tag these files and throw them into a .zip folder?

I hate to say it, but making these cards such a hassle -- and an easily avoidable hassle at that -- is only going to encourage more illegal downloading. What would you rather have, a set of low-quality MP3s that you'd have to tag and file yourself, or the same MP3s at a higher bitrate, properly tagged and for free?

I like most of what Paper + Plastick has released thus far (including this Foundation record), and I think the concept is good, but they're dropping the ball on this.

• 10 years later...

Hey, it's 10-years later and Dropcards still sucks!!Hey, it's 10-years later and Dropcards still sucks!!

This is why I buy from Bandcamp whenever I can, so I can get decent-quality digital with my purchase (not to mention it supports the Artist directly).

Dropcards is so 1999.

Does anyone know a place on Vinyl Collective to post codes? I'm bashing Dropcards and their low-quality digital, but some people don't mind it. I'd rather they have it as opposed to just throwing it away.

Edited by creepy old guy
added stuff

1 hour ago, creepy old guy said:

Hey, it's 10-years later and Dropcards still sucks!!Hey, it's 10-years later and Dropcards still sucks!!

This is why I buy from Bandcamp whenever I can, so I can get decent-quality digital with my purchase (not to mention it supports the Artist directly).

Dropcards is so 1999.

Does anyone know a place on Vinyl Collective to post codes? I'm bashing Dropcards and their low-quality digital, but some people don't mind it. I'd rather they have it as opposed to just throwing it away.

https://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/51552-various-download-codes/page/242/