record store bullshit.

So, i am at my usual record store here in LA, and i find a new/sealed copy of "Canavas" by silversun pickups, for $12.99

so i buy it, along with a metric 2xLP that was 50% off, and some other shit i cant remember.

anyways, i go to play the silversun LP, and its totally FUCKED. its so warped that it would skip every time the record spun. So i take it back to the store like an hour later, and explain/show the situation, and the dude is like "bro LP sales are final here"

So i turn into 'that guy' and am like 'well get me the fucking manager'

so the mgr says sorry, and tells me the same thing. I leave the record on Amoeba's check out counter and was like 'fuck it, keep it.'

ive been shopping there for days. its gunna be hard to boycott probably the best record store in the world, but im gunna try.

rant/

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's strange because I just returned a Beastie Boys record a few weeks back and they didn't have a problem. and my reason for returning it was the same as yours - bad pressing/skips, etc. i don't recall them having signs saying that LP sales are final. and it certainly doesn't say it on the receipt.

that's pretty lame of them of them to not even let you exchange it for the same thing.

despite it being the only game in town, fuck Amoeba. i would gladly exchange having them around for having some of the old school indie record shops back in L.A.

i actually considered picking that album up there last saturday. good thing i didn't... i also was able to return an LP there before, but I hadn't opened it yet... it was just something that i forgot i had ordered online already so i figured returning it to the store would be the easiest thing for me to do... so i did and got store credit

the same thing happened to me with an atmosphere record. i bought god loves ugly for like 12 bucks and the last track on each side skips really badly... there are 3 songs per side and its a triple lp so 6 songs wont even play.

i tried to return it and they told me that the reason it was so cheap is because they knew it was a bad batch and they wouldnt take it back or let me exchange it.

i never went back there either. on a positive note though the store has since gone out of business

the same thing happened to me with an atmosphere record. i bought god loves ugly for like 12 bucks and the last track on each side skips really badly... there are 3 songs per side and its a triple lp so 6 songs wont even play.

i tried to return it and they told me that the reason it was so cheap is because they knew it was a bad batch and they wouldnt take it back or let me exchange it.

i never went back there either. on a positive note though the store has since gone out of business

That's bullshit. So they knew it was a bad record, and didn't say anything?

At my local record store a few months ago they found two copies of Good News For People Who Love Bad News, and I saw them sitting up on the counter and asked about him. The owner said they were warped so he didn't know what to do with them. I checked them out, and didn't really notice major warpage, but I'm no grading expert or anything. I said I'd take a copy and he sold it to me for $5, and it plays perfectly!

Guest markovianprocess

I had a record store sell me a copy of the first Funeral For A Friend album on two LP's, sadly I only checked one of them and when I got home it had what looked like a huge bite mark out of it. I returned it, bought something else then a month or so later, they sold me the same damn record. Yet again I only checked one of them.

Guest markovianprocess
I have a pile of fucked up LPs (not the band) just sitting here I'll probably end up harvesting for parts.

You should offload them to VC to make vinyl notebooks and bracelets. ;)