record store bullshit.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are from Hollywood right? Go check out the new record store called Vacation. 4679 Hollywood blvd. Owned by the dudes who run Hydrahead, but have a much wider selection apparently. Pic:

[image]

rad! im not really a crazy hydra head metal d00d, but i love record stores, and i am not far from there at all.

Thanks!

:)

bad break and all, but at least you have a local record store to bitch about! Some of us don't even get the chance to throw records at the people or stores we buy from...

uhh not to be a dick, but.. YOU LIVE IN FUCKING ARKANSAS. thats why everything is shit there. maybe GTFO?

just a thought.

but hey, in this day and age, you have just as much access to vinyl as someone here in LA or even NYC.

still. you live in Arkansas, and im sorry.

ive been shopping there for days. its gunna be hard to boycott probably the best record store in the world, but im gunna try.

rant/

Days huh? How will you get over such emotional attachment?

'days' is an expression. It means i've been shopping there for a long ass time. sorry, i guess that term isn't used in west virgina or what ever random town you are from. i wont use any more silly sayings.

bad break and all, but at least you have a local record store to bitch about! Some of us don't even get the chance to throw records at the people or stores we buy from...

uhh not to be a dick, but.. YOU LIVE IN FUCKING ARKANSAS. thats why everything is shit there. maybe GTFO?

just a thought.

but hey, in this day and age, you have just as much access to vinyl as someone here in LA or even NYC.

yeah, i know what you're saying.

I mean, the beautiful scenery, the super nice people, the awesome hot southern chicks....man this place fucking sucks!!

Days huh? How will you get over such emotional attachment?

'days' is an expression. It means i've been shopping there for a long ass time. sorry, i guess that term isn't used in west virgina or what ever random town you are from. i wont use any more silly sayings.

I guess the east coast hasn't caught on to the west's new style of time quantification lingo. Hopefully we'll catch on to the fad in the few days.

You are from Hollywood right? Go check out the new record store called Vacation. 4679 Hollywood blvd. Owned by the dudes who run Hydrahead, but have a much wider selection apparently. Pic:

[image]

rad! im not really a crazy hydra head metal d00d, but i love record stores, and i am not far from there at all.

Thanks!

:)

No prob! Let us know how it is!

Yeah, I really don't know any store that will take back vinyl. It kinda sucks but could you return a CD or a DVD once you opened it?

If you are that worried, ask them if you can open them and make sure they are OK before you purcahse them.

i'm pretty sure most places won't open new records unless you purchase them first. amoeba does, however, will let people look at used vinyl (if they've sealed it).

from what i've heard, Best Buy will take back opened vinyl but i've never bought any records from there so i'm not entirely sure.

Yeah, I really don't know any store that will take back vinyl. It kinda sucks but could you return a CD or a DVD once you opened it?

If you are that worried, ask them if you can open them and make sure they are OK before you purcahse them.

i'm pretty sure most places won't open new records unless you purchase them first. amoeba does, however, will let people look at used vinyl (if they've sealed it).

from what i've heard, Best Buy will take back opened vinyl but i've never bought any records from there so i'm not entirely sure.

If you like Coldplay that's cool.

If you like Coldplay that's cool.

some Best Buys have full on vinyl sections with some decent albums (Velvet Underground, Metallica, Lily Allen, etc). i don't need to buy from them because i'd rather support some local indie shop but if you live in BFE, it could be a good thing.

• 2 years later...

I realize this is an old thread, but this is an interesting subject to me....

In the old days there were "rack jobbers" (sales reps) that would service and maintain inventory levels in record stores and the distributors would assist retailers in replacing damaged goods.

Things are different these days. Many dealers have had to utilize "all sales final" because they take a lick when these unfortunate scenarios occur because they can't return them to the wholesaler.

Heck, I've opened records and the wrong record was in the jacket. Ya never know.

I personally would've refunded your money in my small shop. I'd rather take a small financial lick than lose a customer for freakin life... but that is just my take on the matter.

Some dealers are different. Heck, some dealers use a dishrag to clean used records. Seen it with my own eyes.

Not everyone gets it, imho.

just a thought.

You should have smashed your Bro LP against his surfboard:

[image]

It's old. I know.

Yeah, I think thats pretty common - not being able to return new LPs to the store. I know some stores that will accept a return if its really defective, and they will just eat the cost, because it cant be returned to the distributor. Vinyl is a different animal in that way. In the few cases where I have receieved something I feel is defective, rather than have my shop eat the cost, I've had pretty good luck dealing with the actual record company. I've found a lot can be accomplished with a quick polite e-mail. Food for thought.

• 3 weeks later...
Vinylville, how did you find this thread?

When I sign up to a forum I tend to look through old threads to get an idea of wwwhat I dove in to.

I found this web site via google.

I found the thread by reading the web site.

On the main forum page, if you scroll to the bottom... users can look through the archive of threads.

I've seen many lame dealers over the years. It is mostly a post ePray phenomenon.

That inspired me to open up a small retail record store years ago and strive to become a old school retailer... and listening to consumers is why I'm here.

In the few cases where I have receieved something I feel is defective, rather than have my shop eat the cost, I've had pretty good luck dealing with the actual record company. I've found a lot can be accomplished with a quick polite e-mail. Food for thought.

I've done this...With My Drums S/T LP...the LP the record label sent me was in a envelope and the cover was fucked, but i didn't care cause my other cover was fine...however the LP they sent me had the SAME defects! :(

As for Amoeba I don't like them that much. The used CD prices are usually pretty high, and I don't like being treated like a criminal. I feel so dirty every time I go there. I can't be trusted not to shoplift, and my purchases have to be walked to the door. If you think its the best record store, you need to come to Tokyo and spend a week or two here.

Also in the LA area I checked out Sound Station Records and I really liked it. The prices seemed pretty good (at least on new punk LPs), and the dudes that run the place were super nice and could talk to you about music. Of course the selection was not as big as Amoeba, but its worth checking out if you go to LAX...its super close to the airport.