I like to ride my bicycle...

Guest smccown13

Mountain bikers cool, city bikers suck. They run red lights, don't stop at stop signs, slow down traffic during rush hour, and are just a pain in the ass in the #1 bike friendly city in the USA.

Fuck that!

IIIIIII LOOOOVE BIKING IN THE CITY!

Cars are what screw up cities, polluting the air I breath, making it dangerous for my kids to play outside, screwing up the views of the streets, crowding the streets for bikers and pedestrians.

Leave your car and take the bike! It's even good for you!

Mountain bikers cool, city bikers suck. They run red lights, don't stop at stop signs, slow down traffic during rush hour, and are just a pain in the ass in the #1 bike friendly city in the USA.

Fuck that!

Cars are what screw up cities, polluting the air I breath, making it dangerous for my kids to play outside, screwing up the views of the streets, crowding the streets for bikers and pedestrians.

Backed X 1,000. Bikes are so much easier to deal with in the city than cars.

Fuck that!

Bikes still have to obey the rules of the road. Stevie's observations are generally true, a lot of bicyclists totally ignore lights and stop signs because they don't think they apply to them.

Guest falloutcollapse

I got a Schwinn World Sport for about $100 from a local used bike shop, and I love it so much. Now that it's getting nicer out, I've been trying to make a point to ride it every day. In the summer, it's going to be my main method of transportation.

Use craigslist.com. I found a very nice Marin commuter bike for $125. The dude just didn't like it and kept it in his basement for a few years. Repairs only cost me $15. I get a lot of compliments on it, but aside from that it's an amazing bike even without them.

Long story short, waiting out and just checking craigslist every now and then saved me money and got me a great bike.

I have no bike-riding confidence. I don't have much experience as I grew up on a big hill with nowhere to ride. Never learned how to actually ride a bike without training wheels until I was 10-12 years old. So driving through a city, or even up hills, scares the hell out of me. I need to build up some leg strength.

I ride a bike and have no car. It's great in a place like Gainesville because I'm in the middle of everywhere I ever need to go, and the furthest I ever have to go is 2 or 3 miles in any given direction. I ride my girlfriend's dad's old schwinn mountain bike from the 80s or so, with a cruiser seat and handlebars. No other bikes even compare to how comfortable of a ride it is.

I tried riding a road bike for awhile, and granted it was a shitty walmart one, it just hurt my ass. I couldn't ride on it for more than 5 minutes without my bum getting sore, and I was just generally uncomfortable riding it. Plus I'm not a super serious biker or anything. I don't really need to achieve max speed, and I off road a lot for shortcuts, which I couldn't do with a road bike.

Guest afsdan

Drivers that tell bikers to follow the rules of the road are just jealous that they have to stop at red lights and stop signs (even when no one's coming), and they pay all kinds of money for gas.

And don't get me started on how bikers slow down traffic. It's called "sharing the road" fuckheads. don't like a biker going slow in your lane? GO AROUND IT.

A bicycle is a public intox, not a dwi. Go for it!

I've actually heard you can get a DUI riding a bike drunk. Not 100% sure the person wasn't talking out of their ass though.

Yea, some cities have a BUI, which is still a moving violation and goes on your driving record. Which is quite fucked, because its an alternative to driving, and you're only going to kill you're own stupid self.

don't get a fixie, they are stupid and at least around here only the biggest dbags ride them

Mostly true.

On another note, last night, I had a dream that someone tried to steal my bike (which I thought to be the sweetest thing ever) but I somehow chased the dude down. Although he had dismantled the bike (wheels, handlebars, chain, etc.) I beat him with my backpack (I'm assuming it was the only "weapon" I had?) then carried the parts back towards my apartment. On the way there this other guy (who for some reason was this asian ninja style dude) came out of nowhere and holds me up with two guns to yank the frame off my shoulder. He peaces out so I'm just left there with the pedals/foot clips and crying my eyes out.

I don't even ride right now because my ankle is still fucked up, but I think it's because I have a strong desire to do so? But really, besides the fact that I have been having the strangest dreams for the past 2 weeks, I have no idea where that came from.

don't get a fixie, they are stupid and at least around here only the biggest dbags ride them

Not really a good thing to base your purchasing decisions on. Lots of dickbags drive Hondas, or eat spaghetti, or whatever.

i mean.... A LOT of douchbags wear pants... so i'm sayin only get shorts. dumbest arguement against riding fixed... but i'm not going to dive into this conversation.

what kind of riding are you looking to do? (city / trails / ride fast / cruise)

are you looking for a complete bike, or do you pref/enjoy working on stuff?

where do you live? i'll scope criagslist to see if i can spot something for you.

i ride fixed, but its not for everyone... there are benifits of riding (regardless of "waaa hipster douche bags waaa" comments... read this article if you're interested http://sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html), but ultimately you want to have something that will fit what you want to do.

i have 3 bikes... all with different applications for how i'm going to ride. a giant mountain bike for doing off road trails, a sutter 10 speed for cruising around (going to convert to single speed tho), and a atala conversion fixed gear if i'm going to do races/speed rides.

damn... PM me or hit me up on AIM (lucky tobe alive) and i can help ya out.

damn this was a long post.

Different pegs, but they were incredibly handy when I was in middle school and my first years of high school. I still ride it a lot in the summer, although I feel way too old to be doing so, but never use the pegs anymore. For a while I did a little actual BMXing but was never really that good.

But yea du, pegs were the shit.

Not really a good thing to base your purchasing decisions on. Lots of dickbags drive Hondas, or eat spaghetti, or whatever.

yeah but assuming youre going anywhere with a little bit of hills fixies are dumb

yeah but assuming youre going anywhere with a little bit of hills fixies are dumb

not really... one argument for fixed-gear riding is that it strengthens you more by not letting you shift down or to coast... so if the rider prefers to have a better workout, fixed is the way to go.

plus you can work your gear ratio to adjust to lots of hills... just depends on how you set up your bike.