Why don't major chains carry vinyl

Guest conoley

Guest conoley

I don't know about in the States, but in Canada, none of the major music chains carry vinyl. Now, I'm not anxious to buy from HMV or CD Plus, but since CD sales are down and vinyl sales are up, wouldn't it make sense for stores to carry vinyl?

Guest conoley

True - but if each town has a few people that buy records (I live in a small town and there's an independent record store that manages to do ok) then they might make it worthwhile. Large cities have plenty of people that buy vinyl. If you combine those with people who would buy an Atreyu record for novelty-sake, then I don't see how it could be a losing business plan.

Guest conoley
also, when you say "vinyl sales are up", what do you mean? would a major label band ever sell more than 8,000-10,000 copies of their new album on vinyl? i mean, that might be a lot to a vinyl collector, but in terms of "moving units", i'd imagine it's peanuts.

10,000 might not be a lot, but if you only press 10,000-15,000 records, even to a major label, selling all of those or even a large portion certainly doesn't lose money. There's a reason besides our interest that majors press vinyl, right?

Some music chains stores used to carry vinyl in the states long after the format died as the major format. Most carried a very small selection. Some carried a pretty good selection. I remember Oasis Music having shitloads of singles when the format was at an all time low. I don't know how big Oasis was but I'm sure it was a chain as there were several stores in the area

Here's an article I found.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/2007-02-21-vinyl-usat_x.htm

"But vinyl still accounts for a small percentage of music sales. Last year 858,000 LPs were sold, compared with 553.4 million CDs, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

While the 2006 figure was up slightly from 2005, the overall trend has been down from 1.5 million in 2000.

Ashworth believes the data are skewed, though, because a lot of vinyl is sold in mom and pop stores not reflected in the SoundScan numbers."

In my opinion, thats not enough sales for a major chain to pick up on vinyl. I'm still surprised Hot Topic sells it. The only chain I've ever seen carry vinyl was Tower in Philadelphia and it was mostly hip-hop (which I'm sure is the genre that makes up the 2006 figure)

Does Vinyl Collective post with SoundScan? Interpunk? That could make a huge difference in the numbers.

The only reason Tower in Philly didn't carry a shitload more vinyl is because the Record Exchange was right around the corner. Otherwise I think they would have been able to sell a lot more.

Man, I had great teenage years. I used to rip up to Philly about one weekend every month and buy like $100 worth of records at the Record Exchange, hang out on South Street, see a rad band, etc. I wouldn't trade that time of my life for the world.

the virgin megastore in nyc, being one of the largest record stores ive ever been in, only has about two shelves, each about 3ft wide, of vinyl. they do have some cool stuff, but its difficult for me to shell out $30+ for a foo fighters record or coldplay. them majors always find a way to make it so i dont want to buy their crap.

if you ever end up in nyc, go to Generation Records on 210 Thompson street. its right by Washington Square park and they have a shitload of new and used vinyl. its the best place i know of in the city to pick up vinyl.

Guest falloutcollapse

before virgin records closed (i'm pretty sure it's closed by now) in chicago, they had their basement that was half vinyl. it was a pretty good collection of more well-known releases, like the shins and thrice. but it wasn't until their 50% off closing sale that i really started to pay attention. then i bought 2 records, and have been addicted ever since.

the virgin megastore in nyc, being one of the largest record stores ive ever been in, only has about two shelves, each about 3ft wide, of vinyl. they do have some cool stuff, but its difficult for me to shell out $30+ for a foo fighters record or coldplay. them majors always find a way to make it so i dont want to buy their crap.

if you ever end up in nyc, go to Generation Records on 210 Thompson street. its right by Washington Square park and they have a shitload of new and used vinyl. its the best place i know of in the city to pick up vinyl.

I went to Generation Records like 2-3 week ago. That place is great. I was so mad that I only had like 60 bucks on me. However, I plan to visit that place every time I go into the city.

The only reason Tower in Philly didn't carry a shitload more vinyl is because the Record Exchange was right around the corner. Otherwise I think they would have been able to sell a lot more.

Man, I had great teenage years. I used to rip up to Philly about one weekend every month and buy like $100 worth of records at the Record Exchange, hang out on South Street, see a rad band, etc. I wouldn't trade that time of my life for the world.

ha. i still do exactly this like once a month. im actually heading up there this weekend and checking out a show at the trocadaro. i always blow a large amount of money at the Relapse store. place rules.