I just saw my future bookshelf at IKEA

Guest admin1338560633

Guest Admin

A friend of mine recently told me about the bookshelves they offer at Ikea that are perfect for storing records. Here is the one I plan on purchasing when my wife and I drive out to Utah in July:

Expedit Bookshelf at this link:

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?topcategoryId=15561&catalogId=10103&storeId=12&langId=-1&parentCats=15561*15639*15651&categoryId=17066&productId=11499&chosenPartNumber=40047675

Use the pull down menus and select Color (Black/Brown) and size (72 7/8 x 72 78).

Here is a photo:

http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/31260_PE120476_S4.jpg

The price is pretty rad and this is exactly what I need to store the stock of Vinyl Collective records.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other good shelves for storing records?

the ikea stuff is nice and cheap i like it....but putting that crap together is quite a project...i bought a computer cabinet there put it almost completely together and found out i did something backwards...had to do the entire thing over again just about...ill probably end up getting a shelf from there when i run out of room in my closet shelves

The Expedit is outstanding. I've bought four and they work perfectly. They also work great for books, of course. I found the expedit in an Ikea catalog without knowing people were using them for records, made the trek to Ikea, and was shocked to see that the display models actually had a handful of records in the cubes! As if they were made for that specific purpose. I love it!

Here are a couple photos of my record room. It's a custom-built loft me and my dad made to fit in this weird loft space in my living room. It's got a spiral staircase going up, bamboom floors and oak fronts on the cabinets. It's my pride and joy ... and now I think we're going to move. Anyone interested in a record-collector ready home in Louisville, CO, let me know.

• 3 weeks later...

i need something new to hold all my stuff. ive been using plastic milk-crates specially sized for vinyl, but when i stack them up with the opening on the side to slide vinyl in and out the sides bulge out and down. looks ugly and makes me worry about mishapping my vinyl. i should be moving out into an apartment sometime soon though and im definitely gonna look into getting the smaller expedit.

i've got my vinyl storage issues taken care of, but i've run out of cd shelf space and i'm sick of using ghetto wire cd shelves...anyone know of any cd storage units with a 1200+ capacity...

I bought one of these and I love it:

http://webmall2000.net/storage/2393.asp

It saves me so much space, it's ridiculous. And it's not an eyesore at all.

Man, it looks like you have about 10 copies each of about 20 records.

haha in the first square i think theres like 7 copies of converge - no heroes, and in the second square i have 8 copies of reggie - greatest hits, and in the third square i have 10 copies of get up kids - four minute mile, and 5 copies of something to write home about

For my LPs, I'm temporarily using an old bookshelf my parents donated to me when I bought my house:

[image]

For my 7-inches, I found these great shelves at ACE Hardware on sale that do an excellent job of holding them:

[image]

And then I use that spinner I posted earlier for most of my CDs. I still need to buy another one, but it holds most of what I own:

[image]