The Anniversary- Designing A Nervous Breakdown

morgan

From what I hear, Vagrant plans on repressing all (or almost all) of their vinyl. So Im not even bothering looking for this anymore. I saw it go for around $100 and I just gave up.

Even if Vagrant re-presses all the vinyl they've put out it will probably be a cold day in hell before either record gets repressed.

There was some serious drama when this band got dropped. Rich posted some crazy bulletin on the old Vagrant boards about how "some bands" don't "appreciate the help they get" and whatnot. Then he deleted the post shortly thereafter. The Anniversary were friends of the Get Up Kids and that's how they got signed to Vagrant. So I guess they started shopping around for other labels or something and then Rich freaked out and refuses to recognize their existence to this day. (note their absence on the vagrant.com artist list). Someone's gotta have a copy of that bulletin... Scott?

There was some serious drama when this band got dropped. Rich posted some crazy bulletin on the old Vagrant boards about how "some bands" don't "appreciate the help they get" and whatnot. Then he deleted the post shortly thereafter. The Anniversary were friends of the Get Up Kids and that's how they got signed to Vagrant. So I guess they started shopping around for other labels or something and then Rich freaked out and refuses to recognize their existence to this day. (note their absence on the vagrant.com artist list). Someone's gotta have a copy of that bulletin... Scott?

It has more to do with someone in the band marrying a get up kid and then cheating on them....

It has more to do with someone in the band marrying a get up kid and then cheating on them....

Loki FTW. Listen to the Get Up Kids song "Never Be Alone" from Guilt Show for lyrical proof.

Yeah, the Anniversary is 100% dead to Vagrant.

Not the bulletin, but

"You should listen to Justin Roelofs because he used to be in the band the Anniversary until he fucked the Keyboardist which caused their label to drop them, and they thus broke up1. So right there you guys should be on board because the man’s dick has power… the power to change lives. It’s a story worth telling, so I’ll tell it.

I loved, and still love, the Anniversary. This is largely because they were the band that shook me out of the So Cal pop-punk scene that was taking over circa 2000 and got me looking for bigger and better things. Things involving strong keyboards, powerful hooks, and sweeping textures. I remember going to see the Anniversary at the Worst Venue Everâ„¢ back in 2002. Guitarist Josh Berwanger was following Dimitri from Burning Brides around like a little bitch. When they played the keyboard stopped working so they just walked outside, because, well, that’s all you can do at the Worst Venue Everâ„¢. Good Times. Anyway, after Justin entered the hole of no return and broke up the band, those that weren’t fucking each other split off to form The Only Children2 which is basically the Folkiversary. Justin and the aforementioned hole, keyboardist Adrianne Verhoeven, went off to do other things, but not with each other. Now you may be asking “So the singer fucked the keyboardist, big deal. I fuck keyboardists every night and the band doesn’t break upâ€. Well, Adrianne Verhoven was then known as Adrianne Pope, as in “wife of Get Up Kids bassist Robert Popeâ€. Apparently, when you’re fucking The Get Up Kids Bassist’s wife you’re fucking with Death Row (aka Vagrant Records). So Vagrant drops the band like a bad habit and fills the spot with Screaming Teenager Bands. Smooth move, Vagrant."

http://www.shotsringout.com/?p=31

anniversary are reuniting this year possibly though.

I think they are releasing a collection record, b-sides/covers/demos/etc.

I think I'm the only one that dug the Only Children records...

well then thats makes two of us. not really digging the second full length but love the first one and the 7"s.

I think they are releasing a collection record, b-sides/covers/demos/etc.

I think I'm the only one that dug the Only Children records...

well then thats makes two of us. not really digging the second full length but love the first one and the 7"s.

The second one def took some time to grow on me, unlike the first one which I loved right away.

Did you pick up the LP verison that Alex/AotU put out? It sounds great and the layout is perfect.