possibly a naive question

tim

Lately I've been wondering why certain vinyl releases are restricted to such rare status. I mean, if an album is rare, and there is high demand for it, why don't the labels who own the rights repress them?

I have been thinking about this as long as I have been wishing I could get (and/or afford) a few albums I love, like the Get Up Kids "Four Minute Mile", either Kid Dynamite LP, and lots of other stuff from before I started collecting vinyl about a year and a half ago, or stuff I just didn't have the cash or knowledge to buy at the right time.

Also, reading the new Vinyl File about that Judge LP, and some of these other Revelation holy grails...

What is the reason that labels don't repress an album and take some profit rather than let them go for obscene amounts of money? It almost seems to promote a black market atmosphere for vinyl collecting. Raises the likelihood for people to just buy records to make money off them when the demand goes up. Doesn't seem good for the spirit of the music to me.

Can anybody enlighten me?

i have often wondered this myself. i think at some point the label, if theyre genuine, may feel the pull between making some money off of a new press [and making newer fans very happy] and respecting the people who were lucky enough to pick up the limited vinyl when it first came out, almost as a "thank you for being there in the beginning" sort of thing. im sure thats not the only thing, but a likely possibility.

because everyone hates a repress :)

but seriously, im sure someone who bought four minute mile in 1997 never even thought 'hey im gonna keep this for 10 years and it'll be worth a ton of money!' that kind of mentality just didnt happen back then, but now there's people who supplement their entire income by doing this kind of thing which really sucks. but in the end its up to the label to decide whether they want to do a limited run of a record, which in all honestly is probably the fun of putting out vinyl, or keep repressing it with the demand to keep the resell value to a minimum

I like it when things are limited - it makes collecting fun

i agree,

Repressing albums multiple times with different colors each time drives me crazy. I like the way fat handles their vinyl, A limited run of color with just a couple hundred then nothing but black.

Makes things very easy.

ditto....

;D

Guest conoley
I like it when things are limited - it makes collecting fun

i agree,

Repressing albums multiple times with different colors each time drives me crazy. I like the way fat handles their vinyl, A limited run of color with just a couple hundred then nothing but black.

Makes things very easy.

I like the Fat model as well, but I can appreciate how much No Idea must benefit from doing so many pressings. Makes it easier to be a small label I suppose.

i have to agree. small number of colors followed by strictly black is the way it would work in a perfect world.

This is how I prefer it as well, anyone see that guys Against Me! collection on the "post a pic of your vinyl (band or label)" thread? I think that many colors/presses is excessive. I'm also not a big fan of when a label makes a new repress more limited than the original.

id wager that Rev doesn't actually own the rights to those early releases anymore, or in some cases like Chung King... the release was pulled. New Haven era Rev was probably a business based on handshakes, and run by kids primarily. So legally they might not be able to re-release them.

Plus in a lot of cases vinyl is really expensive to press short runs.. making it not really financially worth it to a label to keep something like that in press, if there isn't a band actively touring behind it. Also alot of labels that release vinyl are collectors as well, and they know that part of the joy of owning the record, is owning a limited "you had to be there" sorta item.