seperating your vinyl by letter

mrc

hey i was curious on how everyone divides/seperates their vinyl on the shelves. I have been pretty ghetto lately using paper slips but now that i have enough shelf space for my collection i want to be more organized and keep on top of everything.

Do you have some fancy dividers, did you make something or did you buy something, if so where...

Let me know

thanks

Suptopic:

How do you guys handle splits when organizing your records. I guess this goes for the alphabetical folks. I never know what to do w/ splits and I feel strange whenever I make a decision. Sometimes I'll do the band I like more, other times I'll organize it based on which band appears on side-a.

Discuss.

Suptopic:

How do you guys handle splits when organizing your records. I guess this goes for the alphabetical folks. I never know what to do w/ splits and I feel strange whenever I make a decision. Sometimes I'll do the band I like more, other times I'll organize it based on which band appears on side-a.

Discuss.

That's exactly what I do. I go by the band I like most, or have most by, or if it's equal I put it with whichever band is listed first. As far as comps with more than 2 bands, I put those at the end of my collection.

Suptopic:

Discuss.

That's exactly what I do. I go by the band I like most, or have most by, or if it's equal I put it with whichever band is listed first. As far as comps with more than 2 bands, I put those at the end of my collection.

beat me to it, but we are on the same page.

I do roughly the same with splits (if I like both bands equally, I do it by A side, otherwise I file it with whichever band is more of a favorite), but then what do you do on Recordnerd? I found myself typing in the actual order of something as opposed to the way I like it (i.e. the split 7" between Beezus and Braid -- I don't care about Beezus at all and in my collection it's filed under Braid, but on recordnerd I listed it as "Beezus/Braid" not "Braid/Beezus" because Beezus is the A-side).

Holy shit, I just realized why I don't have a girlfriend.

Haha, thats so funny.

I have been getting some of the craziest looks from my "old Lady" when she comes walking into my computer/media/lazy/lounging room and sees me with stacks of records all around with my laptop next to me updating my lists and taken photos and whatnot. She understands that i have slowly become more crazy about collecting but some people will never really understand our craziness.

Guest scriptedrain
I do roughly the same with splits (if I like both bands equally, I do it by A side, otherwise I file it with whichever band is more of a favorite), but then what do you do on Recordnerd? I found myself typing in the actual order of something as opposed to the way I like it (i.e. the split 7" between Beezus and Braid -- I don't care about Beezus at all and in my collection it's filed under Braid, but on recordnerd I listed it as "Beezus/Braid" not "Braid/Beezus" because Beezus is the A-side).

Haha, I'm the same way only I somehow have one. :)

I basically did it how Recordnerd would list it (which is why, for example, !!! is first and I put [ ] around the word Various so it goes at the end of the list). Now that I use Excel, I basically do it the same way but have the freedom to change it around if need be. I don't use dividers but would like to buy them someday.

- Jeff

I basically did it how Recordnerd would list it (which is why, for example, !!! is first and I put [ ] around the word Various so it goes at the end of the list). Now that I use Excel, I basically do it the same way but have the freedom to change it around if need be. I don't use dividers but would like to buy them someday.

- Jeff

That's because according to your link, she collects too. Haha.

I have mine seperated alphabetically and then chronologically for each band. I need some decent dividers though.

Guest scriptedrain

- Jeff

That's because according to your link, she collects too. Haha.

I have mine seperated alphabetically and then chronologically for each band. I need some decent dividers though.

Haha, yeah, but she doesn't catalog or organize them. I mean, now she'll keep them in alphabetical order, but I'm the one who's compulsive about keeping them in order and recording them down. She's into vinyl, don't get me wrong, but I fear I'm too OC whenever cataloging comes up lol

- Jeff

alphabetical by band, then chronological by album.

for splits and collaborations i put them with the band i like more. its usually not too difficult to decide which band to go with.

comps of three or more bands go in V/A section.

i dont use any kind of dividers, i just figure out where a new letter starts since theyre alphabetical already.

with 7" comps i put those last after the splits under various artist

scott you are very lucky to own that vsr gerbil assault record

i've been looking for that forever

Really? I don't really know much about it; is it incredibly rare? I picked it up back in the late '90s when I worked at a record store for, like, $2.

with 7" comps i put those last after the splits under various artist

scott you are very lucky to own that vsr gerbil assault record

i've been looking for that forever

Really? I don't really know much about it; is it incredibly rare? I picked it up back in the late '90s when I worked at a record store for, like, $2.

is yours on black? if so, limited to 500. i got that shaish too. i file mine under "various artists" in the "v" section.