Would You Pay $8-$10 for a 7 inch?

I put yes, but I would have to really like the band, and it better be more than just a teaser for an upcoming release or a collection of shitty covers or seem like a way to make a bunch of extra money. I've spent that much on a double 7". You'd have to really convince me...

I put yes, but I would have to really like the band, and it better be more than just a teaser for an upcoming release or a collection of shitty covers or seem like a way to make a bunch of extra money. I've spent that much on a double 7". You'd have to really convince me...

A double 7", I'd spend $8-10 on.

paying $6 or more for 2 songs isnt that appealing to me at all anymore.

this.

unless it's a band i collect, in which case you suck it up, and end up buying 3 colors anyway.

furthermore, shipping usually ends up costing at least half the price of the release, which is why if i do buy a 7", i would prefer to buy more than just that 1 at a time, to justify shipping.

specifically...i was going to buy the PTW 7"s, (I/III, etc) but decided I would wait until all of them were available and purchase together (still on the to-do list)

Throwing the cd in usually won't do much for me, especially if its only a 2-3 song release. The only time I really listen to CDs is if I'm in the car and my ipod is dead, and i'm not going to put in a cd for a couple songs just to change it again in a few minutes.

it would be an ep, 3 songs at least on the 7 inch.

Guest Admin
I don't like the $5.99 VC charges for their 7"s!! I understand that the unit cost is higher if less copies are pressed, and by the time shipping is included (especially outside the US) it would be very restrictive, I think it also goes back to that earlier thread Cash vs Quality.........but if it was a band I was really into, then why not!!?. It's Alive do their 7"s with a CDr for $5!

thing is, VC does 1000-2000 runs too. say 500 7" cost $1100 to get pressed, 1000 cost $1500 (from luckylaquers prices). it gets much cheaper per unit the more are pressed. plus VC's packaging is nothing amazing, just a printed cover and a cut little paper insert.

this is partly why i gave up on the UTI series. just wasn't worth it IMO. plus fighting with everyone to get the most rare color was annoying after a while.

we also pay for the recording costs for these 7"s in most cases. I don't like charging as much as I do, but I also need to cover all of those costs. Recording, mastering, plating, manufacturing, graphic artists, all of these costs add up. I want to pay Mitch well for each project because he is doing a fantastic job.

yes. to an extent. $8 shipped is reasonable, it provided a label opportunity to re-coup its expense, ship the record and make a reasonable profit.

how about a 12".. whats the most you would spend on an LP?

on a single lp thats not 'rare' I only like to spend 10-15$ on.

7".. eh, I'll pay extra if its worth it.

I would never pay more than 7$ for a 7". Kind of a rule I go by because I just think "Hey, I could get these 2 songs on iTunes for 1.98, than add how much the packaging should cost"

I love having physical copies of things and only use iTunes as a super ultra last resort. Vinyl is art, packaging is art, and so if those two songs are beast, and I would frame and hang the artwork on my wall, than I'll pay up to 7$ for it.