Cave In - Planets of Old 12" EP (Pics added)

HH blog:

CAVE IN, The insurmountable Hydra Head all-star traveling team has... yep, you guessed it... officially un-disbanded! Unless you're the type to follow a band's wikipedia page closely enough to notice an update the moment it occurs, this news is of the breaking variety... and what's more, Hydra Head has got 4 brand newCAVE IN tracks for those of you, who after four years of radio silence, still wear your now rusted-over Jupiter pins with pride...

The entire 4 song E.P, "Planets of Old," will be made available only as a limited 12," (well... for now anyway) on July 28th. BAD NEWS: this one-hundo-eighty gram specimen is guaranteed to enter the endangered rankings upon inception... GOOD NEWS: the band will have many a twelve inch on their persons at their upcoming performance in Allston, MA (details below)... So you know what they say (or maybe we just overheard some asshole kid who eventually became an intern say this in San Diego) "One for me, one for ebay." I think he thought it rhymed...

[image]

Planets of Old-Tracklisting:

1. Cayman Tongue

2. Retina Sees Rewind

3. The Redtrail

4. Air Escapes

Cave In Live!

7/19 Allston, MA @ Great Scott's w/ Disappearer, Phantom Glue

* "Retina Sees Rewind," one of four new tracks from the band, has been made available as a digital single TODAY via iTunes.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hopefully it doesn't suck, but I don't really have a lot of faith left in em...so...I guess I won't be too let down.

Come on, Perfect Pitch Black was pretty damn good. It was sort of like a cross between old Cave In and Zozobra's first record. It took a little while to grow on me, but I wound up loving it.

hopefully it doesn't suck, but I don't really have a lot of faith left in em...so...I guess I won't be too let down.

Come on, Perfect Pitch Black was pretty damn good. It was sort of like a cross between old Cave In and Zozobra's first record. It took a little while to grow on me, but I wound up loving it.

I haven't heard PPB...they lost me at Tides of Tomorrow and Antenna was the final nail in the coffin

Yeah, I hear you on that. But it's got to get boring doing the same thing over and over. Plus they've all said in interviews and stuff that they are sort of ashamed of that era. I accept the apology. To me, Jupiter makes up for it all. That's seriously one of my top five albums of all time, right under everything Into Another ever did.

Yeah, I hear you on that. But it's got to get boring doing the same thing over and over. Plus they've all said in interviews and stuff that they are sort of ashamed of that era. I accept the apology. To me, Jupiter makes up for it all. That's seriously one of my top five albums of all time, right under everything Into Another ever did.

I agree with this fully.......and PPB was awesome!

I haven't heard PPB...they lost me at Tides of Tomorrow and Antenna was the final nail in the coffin

I hated everything they did after UYHS, but I really dig PPB. It's cool that it's different, and I think it's leagues beyond Antenna. After PPB, I had high hopes for any future material the band might release.

I just listened to 'Retina Sees Rewind', though, and I think (after one cursory listen) that it's fucking horrible. The Rush vocals kill it for me. Hopefully the other three songs are better than this.

I loved everything up to and including the Lift Off/Lost in the Air 7". Tides of Tomorrow kind of sucked, and Antenna was alright. But PPB sounded like they were just making a weak attempt at re-capturing their old sound. I'll only really like it if they try that again and have Steve do the screaming.

That's seriously one of my top five albums of all time, right under everything Into Another ever did.

Into Another! Awesome.

I loved Seemless.

See, this is what I don't get. You "loved" Seemless, but you didn't like "Jupiter?" That makes no sense to me. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course, but early Cave In, however awesome it was in its time, is kids' stuff compared to "Jupiter." That album is just insane. AND it was recorded with almost no overdubs so they could play everything on the album in a live setting without any disparity. Imagine what that record would have been like if they'd just allowed themselves total creativity in the studio instead of worrying about being able to duplicate everything at their shows! That's what I'd like to see: a full blown Cave In studio prog onslaught.

Mindless metal and hardcore have their place, but I'm over it for the most part. Progress or die!

And what's all this about Rush vocals?