Best Buy and vinyl?

Independent stores don't have to worry because Best Buy will only carry mainstream releases. For real.

I have a $20 Best Buy gift card going to waiste in my wallet. Maybe I'll buy something. :D

best buy didn't stop at just mainstream cd's in their stores already forcing thousands of independent record stores to close their doors over the past 10 years... why would they not carrying indie vinyl releases? they are already ordering cd's from fat, epitaph, asian man, doghouse, rhymesayers, relapse, etc., etc...

fuck best buy and fuck people who support corporate chain stores... they do way more damage to the music industry than help it.

Vinyl has become insanely popular already, or shall I say trendy now. Compare it to the early 2000's it's unreal. As it becomes more popular (and mass outlets - Amazon, Best Buy, etc.) start carrying it and bigger labels get more interested in pressing and promoting bands, the pressing #'s will skyrocket. Also with deeper pockets the big labels will keep vinyl from going OOP for as long as they can sell it. In turn, increasing popularity while realistically driving down price of more modern music. Making the ebay game less insane and the possibility for OOP vinyl to come in and out of print on a regular basis. We're already seeing plenty of this where al album seems to go OOP, everyone rushes to distros and ebay to pay an inflated price, then the label does another press identical to the original press.

I guess there is good and bad if this continues to happen, but I wouldn't be shocked by it as it continues.

Vinyl has become insanely popular already, or shall I say trendy now. Compare it to the early 2000's it's unreal. As it becomes more popular (and mass outlets - Amazon, Best Buy, etc.) start carrying it and bigger labels get more interested in pressing and promoting bands, the pressing #'s will skyrocket. Also with deeper pockets the big labels will keep vinyl from going OOP for as long as they can sell it. In turn, increasing popularity while realistically driving down price of more modern music. Making the ebay game less insane and the possibility for OOP vinyl to come in and out of print on a regular basis. We're already seeing plenty of this where al album seems to go OOP, everyone rushes to distros and ebay to pay an inflated price, then the label does another press identical to the original press.

I guess there is good and bad if this continues to happen, but I wouldn't be shocked by it as it continues.

I really do not believe this vinyl has got so huge, so popular, the last few years thing. I have been hearing this same thing for 10+ years now, if anything I think the internet just brings people together and its getting talked about more. I am sure a ton of people were into vinyl before mp3's and pre-2000, I know I was, and I know that I had to get paper catalogs to order stuff cause I didn't even have the internet. No talking and discussing on boards or sharing purchases like it is now, just me feeling alone without anyone to talk about records with.

I believe that myspace, the net, mp3s and torrents moved demand for CDs way down and vinyl sales have remained steady with a slight increase for a few years. All this movement toward digital files and instant downloads make more news outlets notice when they see a vinyl record being sold somewhere. These big stores are smart and probably decided it was a good move to carry an additional format that has shown steady sales for a few years.

I really do not believe this vinyl has got so huge, so popular, the last few years thing. I have been hearing this same thing for 10+ years now, if anything I think the internet just brings people together and its getting talked about more. I am sure a ton of people were into vinyl before mp3's and pre-2000, I know I was, and I know that I had to get paper catalogs to order stuff cause I didn't even have the internet. No talking and discussing on boards or sharing purchases like it is now, just me feeling alone without anyone to talk about records with.

I believe that myspace, the net, mp3s and torrents moved demand for CDs way down and vinyl sales have remained steady with a slight increase for a few years. All this movement toward digital files and instant downloads make more news outlets notice when they see a vinyl record being sold somewhere. These big stores are smart and probably decided it was a good move to carry an additional format that has shown steady sales for a few years.

I think what you're saying is certainly a factor. But it's hard to ignore the eBay explosion. And not just for stuff that's currently hot or bands that are getting increasingly popular. I'm talking about stuff that sold for the same prices for many, many years suddenly quadrupling in value. I chalk it up to more people being into vinyl. The bands I'm thinking of certainly aren't gaining many new fans because they aren't even around anymore. They weren't big then and they aren't big now. And I realize some bands get bigger/legendary a few years after they break up. Again, I'm not talking about those bands.

I want to cite examples, but I'm still trying to track down those records and don't want any more competition.

Independent stores don't have to worry because Best Buy will only carry mainstream releases. For real.

I have a $20 Best Buy gift card going to waiste in my wallet. Maybe I'll buy something. :D

best buy didn't stop at just mainstream cd's in their stores already forcing thousands of independent record stores to close their doors over the past 10 years... why would they not carrying indie vinyl releases? they are already ordering cd's from fat, epitaph, asian man, doghouse, rhymesayers, relapse, etc., etc...

fuck best buy and fuck people who support corporate chain stores... they do way more damage to the music industry than help it.

It's a valid point, but honestly, Best Buy is losing money on low-priced CDs. If that's all you're buying there, you're not helping the company at all. The trick is to get you in there and make you buy other stuff with a significant markup. It does harm independent stores when you buy a CD for $8 at Best Buy as opposed to the SRLP of $11.99 at a small store, but it certainly doesn't make them any money. My parents own an independent home theater store, and for years they told me I could buy as many CDs as I wanted there, just never anything else. Of course this was back when they first opened. Obviously the $5.99 and $6.99 new release CDs are few and far between these days (not that I really buy any CDs anymore anyway).

It's a valid point, but honestly, Best Buy is losing money on low-priced CDs. If that's all you're buying there, you're not helping the company at all. The trick is to get you in there and make you buy other stuff with a significant markup. It does harm independent stores when you buy a CD for $8 at Best Buy as opposed to the SRLP of $11.99 at a small store, but it certainly doesn't make them any money. My parents own an independent home theater store, and for years they told me I could buy as many CDs as I wanted there, just never anything else. Of course this was back when they first opened. Obviously the $5.99 and $6.99 new release CDs are few and far between these days (not that I really buy any CDs anymore anyway).

This is absolutely true. When I was in High School I worked at Sam Goody when they were still owned by Best Buy. We got a employee discount there which came out to 5% more than what they pay for an item. So I would only save about $1 at best per cd that I bought there. They are making little to no profit off cds. Really it's the big nice tv sets that they are making money off of. They only pay about $500 for a tv that they sell for around $1400.

im actually working at an even next week called best buy achievers where all the vendors who sell to best buy are there showing off (and giving away) their stuff. i wonder if there will be any vinyl from the music companies there. it would be cool to come home with some free vinyl this year

I wanna go!

im actually working at an even next week called best buy achievers where all the vendors who sell to best buy are there showing off (and giving away) their stuff. i wonder if there will be any vinyl from the music companies there. it would be cool to come home with some free vinyl this year

I wanna go!

+1