Brand New - Daisy on LP

I still like brand new. It  sounded like the girls were willing and the one I remember reading about could have stopped many times but indulged in it.

Cancel culture creates issues.

I know his letter sounded like to me he was admitting fault and trying to get help. I don't have much of a opinion on him. Maybe I need to learn more of the drama

7 minutes ago, SwiftCat said:

I still like brand new. It  sounded like the girls were willing and the one I remember reading about could have stopped many times but indulged in it.

I know his letter sounded like to me he was admitting fault and trying to get help. I don't have much of a opinion on him. Maybe I need to learn more of the drama

Of course teenage girls were willing to date the adult singer of their favorite band... that wasn’t the issue. But hey... Jerry Lee Lewis married his 13 year old cousin and he still has fans so it could’ve been worse I guess.

47 minutes ago, SwiftCat said:

This is why there has to be a law in place that says underage girls can't consent. You need to learn more in general.

55 minutes ago, SwiftCat said:

Minors cannot consent at all. I know I’m the third person to tell you this in this thread, but I’m assuming there’s no way you’ve made it this far in your life without having heard it prior, so the extra reinforcement for beating into your head why pedophilia of all things is vile can’t hurt, ya?

1 hour ago, SwiftCat said:

it wasn't enough to tell strangers on the web (who, as you suspected, really really care) that you bravely still listen to a cancelled artist so you had to throw in an unprompted defense of pedophilia???

gonna be a little less charitable than the others here and say you should ask a loved one this holiday season for forceps to help you get your head out of your ass

2 hours ago, SwiftCat said:

Yeesh. An adult man preying on underage girls doesn't make you have an opinion?

Willing or not, these were not adult women, and he was an adult man.

Gonna throw myself under the bus (like I always seem to do) and say that I agree with swiftcat to an extent. The girl/girls made the decision to talk to him and send nudes and shit. It was a conscious decision and then later they decided to make it into them being a victim. Yeah they were 15/16 or whatever “supposedly” but in a lot of other countries you’re considered old enough to know right from wrong and be held accountable for your own actions. 
I honestly don’t think that girl was traumatized by anything. I remember thinking she sounded like she was exaggerating when I read her statement a few years ago. She wanted attention. I’m not saying she wasn’t possibly legit bothered by it now that she’s an adult, I just think she blew it up into a bigger thing than it needed to be. 
We all know people are fucking crazy sometimes and just want attention. 

Just my thoughts on it. Not facts. Now.... start making leaps and attacking me for everything I said. Go! 😂

2 minutes ago, andrewlucas said:

Gonna throw myself under the bus (like I always seem to do) and say that I agree with swiftcat to an extent. The girl/girls made the decision to talk to him and send nudes and shit. It was a conscious decision and then later they decided to make it into them being a victim. Yeah they were 15/16 or whatever “supposedly” but in a lot of other countries you’re considered old enough to know right from wrong and be held accountable for your own actions. 
I honestly don’t think that girl was traumatized by anything. I remember thinking she sounded like she was exaggerating when I read her statement a few years ago. She wanted attention. I’m not saying she wasn’t possibly legit bothered by it now that she’s an adult, I just think she blew it up into a bigger thing than it needed to be. 

Just my thoughts on it. Not facts. Now.... start making leaps and attacking me for everything I said. Go! 😂

When I was 16, I made a conscious choice to date a 24 year old. For 5 years. It was a terrible decision, but it wasn't because of my age. She sucks. 

I still don't agree with what he did. Yes, because they were underage but also because he held a position of "power" over them. Also, I'll never understand the 20-something being into teenagers thing, even though I was on the opposite end.

21 minutes ago, andrewlucas said:

5 hours ago, Sh100by said:

This is why there has to be a law in place that says underage girls can't consent. You need to learn more in general.

3 minutes ago, Sh100by said:

ITT: Nobody judging anyone for listening to Brand New

Also ITT: secret creeps projecting their inner desires by pre-defending child rape to no one.

To be fair @SwiftCat literally ended their post with, "Maybe I need to learn more of the drama," so maybe this would be a good opportunity to be informative about the events instead of calling people 'creeps' and implying they're pro-child abuse ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm not trying to stir up shit with you or anyone else, but I actually know people IRL who don't "internet" like most of us and are absolutely ignorant to Jesse Lacey's cancelation or the details. They aren't bad people for being out of the loop, a dude from one of my bands legitmately thought he got canceled for cheating/gas lighting, not for being a straight up fuckin' predator and was appalled when I gave him the full scoop. 

21 minutes ago, Shitty Rambo said:

To be fair @SwiftCat literally ended their post with, "Maybe I need to learn more of the drama," so maybe this would be a good opportunity to be informative about the events instead of calling people 'creeps' and implying they're pro-child abuse ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm not trying to stir up shit with you or anyone else, but I actually know people IRL who don't "internet" like most of us and are absolutely ignorant to Jesse Lacey's cancelation or the details. They aren't bad people for being out of the loop, a dude from one of my bands legitmately thought he got canceled for cheating/gas lighting, not for being a straight up fuckin' predator and was appalled when I gave him the full scoop. 

Again, I do not care if people are supportive or not. If a grownup can't understand why a child can't consent they are creepy. End of story.  Nothing to do with Jesse Lacey.

26 minutes ago, Shitty Rambo said:

IRL friends are an extreme non-sequitur here though; there are specific ppl in this thread making specific claims. they are people who either 1) are online enough/BN fans enough to know exactly what Lacey was alleged to have done and are still defending/rationalizing it or 2) are perhaps unaware that he was preying on minors but preying on adult women is totally cool  (cf choice phrases such as "she wanted attention" and "it sounded like the girls were willing"). in the latter case, it's fair to wonder whether people should in fact go "learn more of the drama" while they're already within a stone's throw of Google instead of walking d*ck-first into a defense of pedophilia. 

in either case it's weird to me that, if someone with a staff member designation is going to step in, it's to rationalize realllllly suspect comments on child abuse and not to, ya know, condemn them. not tryna stir up shit either, just a little disappointed here...

Edited by copelandkid

12 minutes ago, Sh100by said:

Again, I do not care if people are supportive or not. If a grownup can't understand why a child can't consent they are creepy. End of story.  Nothing to do with Jesse Lacey.

Disagree. Jesse Lacey should continuously be lambasted for his bullshit and those who aren't aware of it become aware of it.

38 minutes ago, Shitty Rambo said:

I mean this guy is posting on an internet forum, though. He has the ability to use Google, I reckon. Ignorance is not a great defence here.

20 minutes ago, copelandkid said:

IRL friends are an extreme non-sequitur here though; there are specific ppl in this thread making specific claims. they are people who either 1) are online enough/BN fans enough to know exactly what Lacey was alleged to have done and are still defending/rationalizing it or 2) are perhaps unaware that he was preying on minors but preying on adult women is totally cool  (cf choice phrases such as "she wanted attention" and "it sounded like the girls were willing"). in the latter case, it's fair to wonder whether people should in fact go "learn more of the drama" while they're already within a stone's throw of Google instead of walking d*ck-first into a defense of pedophilia. 

in either case it's weird to me that, if someone with a staff member designation is going to step in, it's to rationalize realllllly suspect comments on child abuse and not to, ya know, condemn them. not tryna stir up shit either, just a little disappointed here...

Don't twist my words and make it sound like I'm defending anyone else's statements outside of my own, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt for not being clued into the details. Just because he hits up VC doesn't mean he must be absolutely aware of every single detail. Using that as a point of contention to make an argument is ridiculous.

Be as disappointed and weirded out as you want. I'm not some automaton who's going to follow a script to make you feel a certain way just because I delete spam and ban Russian bots every other day. People will sometimes have opinions you don't like, that doesn't mean they're your enemy or something lol.