Deja Vu For Deja Entendu

Surprised some Brand New fan isn't up in arms about this.

Well...I posted this pic over at the BN street team boards to see what would happen...here's the exchange that just took place:

Overzealous BN fan: I forgot that Brand New had copyrighted astronauts...It is nowhere near similar enough to be called a rip-off

Me: Yeah...but close enough...

OBNF: Not really... it's just an astronaut standing in a field.

::)

I don't see the big deal. Since the Deja Entendu cover had a picture of an astronaut, bands can't use astronauts on their artwork anymore? It's not like they ripped off Eddie from the Iron Maiden covers or some iconic figure. It's an astronaut. I'm sure if people look hard enough there is at least one simlar cover that came way before Brand New did it.

Uh oh! Brand New ripped off a lot of these bands...oh shit:

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/abraxas21/about_astronauts_in_album_covers

I don't see the big deal. Since the Deja Entendu cover had a picture of an astronaut, bands can't use astronauts on their artwork anymore? It's not like they ripped off Eddie from the Iron Maiden covers or some iconic figure. It's an astronaut. I'm sure if people look hard enough there is at least one simlar cover that came way before Brand New did it.

The point isn't that it's an astronaut, it's an astronaut standing in a field. That's a lot different than say, anywhere else in the world. And I'm not saying these guys should be sued just that it's kind of a dumb move when you consider how recent and well known the Brand New cover is. I don't even consider myself a big fan of the band and that was the first thing I thought of when I looked at the cover.

I agree w/ you on this one. I don't really see the big deal. One is in a field, one is hovering over some water.

I agree w/ you on this one. I don't really see the big deal. One is in a field, one is hovering over some water.

I'm 100% with Dante on this. Especially since the inside art has an astronaut in a field. I also think it would be different if the album they used as inspiration wasn't so well known and so relatively new.

The point isn't that it's an astronaut, it's an astronaut standing in a field. That's a lot different than say, anywhere else in the world. And I'm not saying these guys should be sued just that it's kind of a dumb move when you consider how recent and well known the Brand New cover is. I don't even consider myself a big fan of the band and that was the first thing I thought of when I looked at the cover.

Yes, the inside art has some similarities. Do I think this was a blatant rip off? No. Also, is Brand New really as big as everyone is saying? I know people on this board love them and their records command high eBay prices, but how big are they really?

I think the cover art is different enough in these instances that it's not a big deal at all.

the brand new album was definitely the first thing i thought of when i saw this album cover.

also, deja doesn't look anything like the other astronaut album covers in that link.

I don't know. Scan them all. There are a couple that look like the Deja cover could've been adapted from it.

eh, i don't think any of them are nearly as similar as deja and this bands record. not that it matters, haha.

like my mom says, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. also the most irritating.

Yes, the inside art has some similarities. Do I think this was a blatant rip off? No. Also, is Brand New really as big as everyone is saying? I know people on this board love them and their records command high eBay prices, but how big are they really?

I think the cover art is different enough in these instances that it's not a big deal at all.

As of two years it was a Gold Record.

Really? Wow. I would never have thought they were that big. I, personally, have never heard a song by them.

I think the Joeyfat one (#46) is close...though the astronaut is hovering at an angle. Same for #74 (which has the astronaut floating at an angle and at a further distance).

Difference being none of them are on Earth best I can tell.

Really? Wow. I would never have thought they were that big. I, personally, have never heard a song by them.

And that was over 2 years ago so I wouldn't be surprised if the sold more in the meantime.