13/14 Premier League Football Discussion

Sweet I'll join.

And yeah we signed PSV captain Wijnaldum.  He looks class to be fair but i will openly admit I've only ever seen him play for Holland once. Quite impressed with our level of targets we seem to be aiming for, hope they come off.

How about yourselves?

It's a good crack, I'm in a few leagues on it, just a matter of remembering to do it!

Sounds like a good signing, Was going to say, everything I've read sounds like McClaren is setting his sights high. Austin would be a brilliant signing for you. Admittingly, I'd rather he came 45 miles down the road haha

Yeah we got Baptiste from Bolton who looks like a good signing, then he breaks his leg 22 minutes into our friendly against york on Saturday. Typical boro... let's hope he's not out for too long.

Downing looks set to come home as well this week & Stuani from Espanyol should be done soon. Exciting stuff! (As long a stuey can hack the physicality of the league)

He'll absolutley kill it in that league for you. I've heard Bamford may be coming back too despite it not looking likley at the start of the window.

Let's hope. Few bookies have slashed odds on him coming back to 6/4. tbh i'm not reading too much into it. Him & Downing linking up will be exciting though. Woodgate (who in my biased eyes could have been one of Englands best if it wasn't for injury) is back for another year. need a strong leading figure like him on/off the pitch. Doubt he'll play too much.

Can we just take a second and laugh at Kaboul going to the mackems & 32.5m for Benteke. Rodgers is clueless in transfer windows hahaha. The worlds gone mad.

Allegedly ManCity is willing to pay 80 million Euro for De Bruyne. That's just crazy.

Read that this morning. Some sort of transfer limit has to come in sometime soon, surely?!

Chelsea looking at £25-30m for stones as well. It's becoming far too out of hand.

Apparently Blackburn want £14m for Rhodes now LOL. I'll take him, but not for that ridiculously inflated price 

• 2 weeks later...

As a Toffee I'm glad they're keeping Stones. Yeah he'll be gone in a year or two but Chelsea can F right off. 

Very cool to see the nice reception Rooney got for Dunc's testimonial. 

So excited that the PL starts this weekend, AND there is now a Roku app for NBC Sports, so no more having to watch a crappy stream on a laptop!

They are showing games on USA now in the stats, which is great! More choices. Since I don't have a connection to anywhere and anyone in the UK, I'm turning to you guys for a suggest for a second team to support.

I already pull for Everton. I'm a defender myself so I can get behind a good defensive formation, I don't need anything to flashy. Just none of the consensus top four.

They are showing games on USA now in the stats, which is great! More choices. Since I don't have a connection to anywhere and anyone in the UK, I'm turning to you guys for a suggest for a second team to support.

I already pull for Everton. I'm a defender myself so I can get behind a good defensive formation, I don't need anything to flashy. Just none of the consensus top four.

If you have no personal ties to Everton, and are from the states, why the hell would you cheer for them? I'm an Arsenal supporter because I went to a game when I was in London.

Canada now has TSN and Sportsnet carrying games. Theres usually around 5 games every Saturday morning, and every Sunday and Monday game. The only game

not being covered this coming weekend is West Ham vs. Bournemouth.

If you have no personal ties to Everton, and are from the states, why the hell would you cheer for them? I'm an Arsenal supporter because I went to a game when I was in London.

Are you asking him because Everton is a mediocre team without a large fan base or because one shouldn't cheer for a team unless one has been to a game or apart of that community? You can be an Arsenal supporter because you once went to a home game at the Emirates?? I may be misunderstanding your case but you're coming off as a prat. 

Are you asking him because Everton is a mediocre team without a large fan base or because one shouldn't cheer for a team unless one has been to a game or apart of that community? You can be an Arsenal supporter because you once went to a home game at the Emirates?? I may be misunderstanding your case but you're coming off as a prat.

Hahaha what? I'm not saying he can't support them. I was curious as to why he would choose Everton without any ties to the area/club. There had to be some reason he decided to support them. I'm guessing maybe because of Tim Howard? Just curiosity...

And as for my spiel about Arsenal, I was just sharing why I support them. I wasn't intending to be rude or anything.

It's a fine question. I have a hard time watching sports without any emotional investment. Soccer (sorry boys) is a bit of an exception because I've played it for 30 years but I still like a little motivation to follow it, so I had to choose a team to root for and follow in the standings and off-season. Being from New England I sort of had to pick a team arbitrarily, so I choose Everton because they had two pretty well known USMNT players in 2010, which is when I started following more seriously.

I had kind of followed Liverpool before that but they had that pretty good run and I wasn't really paying attention so I felt like a bandwagon fan and the stakes weren't as interesting. I wanted a team that COULD be competitive, but would be a bit of an underdog and wasn't hugely popular. I couldn't go bottom tier because they'll never win and I wasn't born into that misery so I've no reason to do that to myself.

So, Everton. I'd follow Fulham as well because I'm really interested in Hyndman's development (and hey, McBride!) but they got regulated so that is a bit of a trick.